AR20 FT Optimum fill pressure ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Lofty, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi All,
    Anyone out there using a Hammerli AR20 FT.

Thinking about getting a AR20 FT but have a question.

All the advertising blurb state that the cylinder is 300 bar and I think I'm right in saying that they have two regulators fitted, one from 300 bar down to 200 and the second from 200 to 95 / 100 bar.

My question is will they run OK using a 200 bar fill and if so what's the approx shot count ?. Reason being my dive bottle is a 232 bar and if they HAVE to run at 300 bar then I'm going to have to budget for another dive bottle.

Thanks in advance.

Lofty

2. TourneySteve

TourneySteve New Member

Club:
    Midshires
    When i had mine, a few Walther owners advised me not to go above 200 bar, something to do with the regulator. I easily got 100+ shots with that fill, consistent as well.

3. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    200bar is perfect mate, you will get about 80 shots from that.

Gary

4. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    When I had mine I only used to fill it to 200bar and I used to get 100ish shots out of it but you need to make sure the presure doesn't drop to low as it does start to drop in power quite abit :)

HTH
    TJ

5. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Thanks guys for the quick replies.

One thing though two out of the three replies are all in the past tense :confused: guessing that they have other issues then .

Lofty

6. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Not had mine long, bought used to mess on with. I only fill to 200 bar, same as other rifles.

So far it seems stupidly accurate and I like it to shoot. I have messed on and changed the plastic grip, hamster etc to wood and fitted an offset grip as well, but that's just down to personal comfort and fit, as well as something to mess on with LOL.

7. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi Paul,
    That's a bit like I want to do. Looks to be quite a good platform to customise, plenty of options to play around with.
    Glad to hear that they are accurate as well, always a good thing :)

Kind regards,
    Lofty

8. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    personally after owning 1 I wouldn't go out of my way to get another 1,

The cons seem to out way the pros my (personal) opinion is

Pro's
    accurate
    cheap for starters in FT
    lots of modding potential ect
    mm :rolleyes:

Cons
    Heavy ( at the Front )
    poi can change depend on where you hold or rest the hamster ( I cut the shroud of mine) that helps
    It doesn't have quickfill ( so you have to unscrew the hole cylinder to fill )
    the trigger isnt very adjustable ( has alot of pullback)
    the back is plastic it is sturdy but does flex a little

This is my own personal exsperiance from owning 1 But I do know some people get along with them really well :)

If you want my advice if you can afford to add a little more money look at getting a second hand Air Arms MPR or AA ProTarget you an pick one up for around the £400-500 mark

ATB
    TJ

9. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    I would certainly agree with some of the above.

Slightly front heavy but not bad to sort and less so with a a scope on.
    POI change hasn't been an issue with mine so far, although some need the shroud cutting back.
    Removing cylinder, no different to a Steyr or Walther, although mine has a quick fill conversion.
    Trigger has been set up and is nice enough to use.

Pro Targets etc are a cracking rifle. However, they don't have the overall adjustability of something like the Hammerli. I've set mine up so that it pretty much exactly matches the size, grip etc etc of my Stery so that it's no drama at all swapping between either in terms of feel and fit. Couldn't do that with a Pro Target. It's a backup FT rig now.

They are not such high quality as some rifles out there, but certainly up to the job given the price.

10. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    If you can pick 1 up cheap £350ish then they are a cracking rifle for the value,

The best advise that everyone seem to go buy is phone around some of your local rifle shops and see if they have any in stock you can have alook at or pop down to a local gun club some1 might have one you could try :)

ATB
    TJ

11. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    I go to around 230 with mine and not had any issues. Very consistent, never get poi shift either (that's just my shooting). Trigger I find is fine. Heavy it is but I ain't carrying it far.

12. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    DEFINATELY one to buy used not new :D

13. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Many thanks guys for all the unbiased views, very much appreciated.

As to weight, I've held one (unscoped) at the show and to me felt OK. Years back I had an AA Pro-Target and that in standard form was front heavy, did improve when I swapped the steel shroud for an ali one though.

Seems £350'ish is the going rate for a second hand one.

Have to see if there's any about.

Cheers,
    Lofty.

14. shotgunkid

shotgunkid New Member

Club:
    emley moor ftc
    ar20ft

I have had my hammerli from when they came out i filled mine to 300 bar and blown ( FIVE REGS ):eek:o :eek:o:eek:o.
    After that i ONLY FILL mine to 190 bar and run it with jsb 8.4 pallets and at around 780fps and its now
    one of the best gun i have .You can polish the inner working to make the gun cock easier but do not grease because this will not help the inner workings:D:D:D:D

Attached Files:

15. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Shotgunkid,
    Thanks for the heads up on the reg's blowing at 300 bar. Also heard tonight that it's possible to 'lock' up the reg if filled to 300 bar and there's no way to release the pressure ???

Liking the pistol grip and cheek piece. You make them ?.

Kind regards,
    Lofty

16. shotgunkid

shotgunkid New Member

Club:
    emley moor ftc
    ar20ft

No a friend made them for me £150 , if you buy one float the barrel its the best way .
    With the barrel shroud on and using the hamster this can change your POI :eek:
    so buy one and have some FUN :D:D

17. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    When I asked Pete Dutton why he recommended filling the Walther Dommies to no more than 200bar, he told me that it was simply a question of 'efficiency'.

Each shot you take between 300-200bar, must use more air than the shots taken between 200-80bar?

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I can't remember saying it was more efficient Cam all I know is that when I first started shooting a Walther back in 2006 Nick Murphy recommended 200bar Max & I've stuck with that ever since.:D

Some shooters have found 180max even better though as 200bar gave them a few dodgy shots initially.

19. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Well, been and gone and done it !!! picked up a 4 month old AR20 FT today, don't know why :confused: just had to be done :D. Something to 'tweek' but at the same time not interfere with shooting as I have another set up already.

So, who's done what mods to these then apart from floating the barrel and polishing the 'bolt' mech.

Cheers,

Lofty

20. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    So far mine now has an alloy quick fill cylinder, wooden grip, hamster and cheek piece. The grip is now offset with a trigger setup to match. Original weaver rail swapped for a Pardoe rail as well. Light weight removable butt hook made that fits to an alloy plate on the back of the butt pad.
    That's about it so far :)