ao in hft

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by monty19, Aug 8, 2015.

1. monty19

monty19 New Member

been reading up on hft and im wondering how important is it to have ao on your scope,can a scope without ao cut it in hft ? ive never shot hft and ive lots to learn, so over to the experts

2. Air Armed

Air Armed MFTA Secretary

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Once shooting in a HFT Competition you are not allowed to adjust your scope at all so adjustable AO doesn't matter, I used a fixed 10x44 viper when I used to shoot it along with many others who did too.

There's plenty of proper HFT shooters on here for advice

ATB

Paul

3. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    No you dont need AO but, whatever you buy you must be able to adjust the PX distance when initially setting it up, even if it doesn't have AO or side focus, so it depends on the scope you buy. If you are looking at small objective Burris scopes then its not too critical to have AO as long as you can move the lens,as they are fairly clear at distance anyway. if you are thinking about the Hawke range you might be better paying the slight amount of extra to get AO as there is only £10- £15 difference.

Some are easily adjusted on the front lens, others not so easy. Most fixed PX hawkes can be moved with a gentle warming and working back and forwards to free the lens and glue, others move very easily, some makes are not so easy.

What scope are you thinking about? as someone will have had a go at moving most fixed focus scopes on here for advice.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  4. stryder5

stryder5 New Member

It's nice to have and make things easy to adjust your scope prior to starting your round, the rule for competition is no touching the scope after you have started.

Non AO scopes can have their focus adjusted by removing the objective lens locking ring and adjusting the front lens element to focus on your preferred distance, then locked back into place.

Some form of aim point reference is also useful, generally some form of mildot reticle.

5. rich

rich Active Member

^^ You're referring to UKAHFT rules. HFT is shot to other rules in some parts of the country; down here in the South West we shoot to the SWEFTA rules which do allow you to adjust the focus for each target but only before you have raised the scope to your eye. In other words, you have to estimate the distance using your mark 1 eyeball, and then you can adjust the focus to suit your estimate. If you make a mistake or forget, too bad, once the scope has been looked through at that target, you can't change it until the next target.

Why do we allow this in SWEFTA? Because our course setting rules are different, too, and we allow HFT targets out to 55 yards instead of limiting to 45 yards. It's too much to ask eyes to compensate at that distance and still get a sharp enough view of the target. Moreover, it allows you to get a sharp image of close targets which often have small kills. But as I said earlier, if you forget to adjust, you have to live with the poor image.

You may be surprised to find how quickly you can get used to estimating a distance with some degree of accuracy, without needing mildots or bracketing etc.

6. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    He's from Middlesborough Rich so probably shooting our NEFTA or UK rules.;)

But you have raised one good point I hadn't thought about, as we also shoot winter league comps up here shooting HFT or SFT to 55 yards, so the same would apply as you have stated. Your HFT rules would be similar to our SFT rules.
    I have shot a few 55 yard comps to HFT rules and you need a very clear scope such as a 26mm or 32mm front lens if its fixed. Mind you I did shoot the PJ springer champs with a 4x12x40 Panorama and did ok, but it was very blurred at 55 and I moved the PX to 27 yards before I started.

I bet this is confusing the heck out of the OP.:eek:

7. rich

rich Active Member

The other factor that isn't actually a driver for the rules, but makes our local rule welcome, is that many of us down here aren't teenagers any more, if you get my drift. ;)

8. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I know exactly what you mean!:eek: Now where did I put my glasses?:(

I have also found that I prefer more expensive glass as I get older,Sightrons Burris and Leupolds are my current stabe, or am I just becoming a scope tart?:eek:

For the original poster getting into HFT I would say look through and shoot with as many scopes as you can. Everyones eyes are different.

9. subaru swift

subaru swift Active Member

Club:
    Furnace mill, & Kingsley HFT
    I used a 10x44 mtc viper & a mtc mamba lite 4-16x44 when I first started HFT in the midlands. but now I use a delta optical titanium 4.5-14x44 ao ffp hft ret scope as its image is very clear, & I think it was the best thing I have done \ brought shooting wise apart from selling my DS rifles & getting a steyr ;).

you can use most scopes but look through a lot if you can & see what suits you.
    best to go a club \ range & see what folks are using & have a chat along with maybe looking through there scopes if you can do

Rich I like the idea of 55 yards hft targets ! or do I as I bet my HFT scores would drop off a bit..... ha-ha
    I have gone the greyhound a few times & shot there longer range FT targets a few times when plinking about there.

There is a couple of 40mm or 50mm knockdowns & a couple of 20 or 30 mm spinners at 55 yards at furnace mills zero range what is fun but in a comp at 55 yards I guess it would trip up a few folks.

10. stryder5

stryder5 New Member

But while the Viper didn't have AO it does have side focus. I didn't think we were talking about magnification.

11. monty19

monty19 New Member

great info guys i might have a bash, im thinking of a scope ( not sure which one) and reparallax it, anyone know which ones are easy to do or are suitable, dont want to spend a lot until ive lots of practice under my belt (the ftp has eaten my savings),

monty

12. rich

rich Active Member

10x mag is a favourite so you might just want to put your money into a good quality fixed mag scope, and not compromise any quality for the sake of getting a zoom facility.

If you are planning on using the divisions of the ret to assist with rangefinding then a ret with half mildots not just full mildots might be preferable.

Subaru, my club's present HFT course starts off with a 54 yarder and the target is a rat facing downhill at about 30 degrees. It is a pig to rangefind by conventional means; it's the first target so the shooter has had no trial easy shots to find the wind, and it's seldom a 2 on the card. Devious? Probably. But isn't that part of HFT? The last target is a 13mm reducer at about 13 yards, and the lane is at a different angle to the wind compared to all the previous lanes. That's not often a 2 on the card either. In between of course we have a load of gimmes................. (not!) :eek:

13. subaru swift

subaru swift Active Member

Club:
    Furnace mill, & Kingsley HFT
    this is the ret I use now, ok it is fine but it works for me all the same.
    [​IMG]

I like the mtc scb ret, even the Hawke rets are ok too. but half mill dots is a must for me.

Rich I will have to visit your course one day as it sounds like fun, & I am only in this great sport of ours for some good old fun along with some great banter too & if I can best my PB then great :).
    sneaky for making peg 1 hard to start with but I like it ! plus having the last one too angled somewhat different can mess with your head at times,,,, . however the folks who set up F'mill do that on a few targets & it is fun to watch some folks really get worked up at times..... when the get a 2 or even a 0.

kenny