Anyone bought a new Steyr rifle recently? Case question..

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by cloverleaf, Mar 15, 2019 at 9:40 AM.

1. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

I want to buy another Steyr / Negrini 1640 case as I don't much like the one that came with my LG.

Steyr UK have them in stock but they are apparently fitted with two combination-lock latches in the middle positions and two presumably non-lockable latches at the ends.

Google tells me that the combination latches look like a reasonable design:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have one of these cases and could please confirm the format of the non-lockable latches on the ends of the case please?

My existing 1640 case has the key-locked latches which is one of the reasons I really like it (the action is really positive and clean):

[​IMG]

... while the case I want to replace has the bloody awful "push-pull" latches; one of the reasons I want rid (the unlatching action is horrible):

[​IMG]

I'm really hoping these aren't used in combination with the combination latches on the 1640 and can't really ask any more questions of Steyr UK as I think they're already sick of humouring my persistant questions :p

As always any thoughts much appreciated, ta ;)

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

Do you use the locks very much Mr . Leaf ?

I cant remember ever having locked a gun case .
    That said , I don't go any where ,so i wouldn't need to would I .

Waldo likes this.
  3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

I don't use the locks (although they might be helpful to appease possible future legislation) however the issue isn't with whether the latches are lockable or not; it's their latching / unlatching operation.

The lockable ones are intuitive, require very little force and spring obligingly away from the case when released (the first time I used them I consciously thought "that's nice!") while the "push/pull" latches are horrible by comparison and I refuse to spend money on another case that's fitted with them!

4. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    How does the rifle shoot, or haven't you unlocked the case yet?

;)

Waldo, nemesis, beaker and 2 others like this.
  5. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I want to know how you get pictures like those,are you using an electron microscope thingy ? :D

6. dlloyduk

dlloyduk Over Gunned Amateur.

Club:
    NM
    I bought mine middle of last year and it came with two combination latches and outer push pull latches.
    I don't find them a problem once you get a teqnique to operate them.

cloverleaf likes this.
  7. miketowler

miketowler Member

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill, throckmorton
    If the combination lock is anything like the Feinwerkbau ones, I changed the number on mine, I changed the number and it didn’t go to the number I put in, I had to go though every number 000, 001,002 ect till I found the number that worked, great fun

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

The rifle currently doesn't shoot at all as I'm awaiting a replacement for it's damaged barrel :(

Actually those were all the result of a quick google image search, so I can't take the credit for any I'm afraid!

Thanks - that's exactly the information I was after, if not the desired outcome. I'm glad you get on alright with the push-pull latches but tbh I bloody hate them and find the key-locking type to be so much nicer.

I guess that idea can go in the bin then as I'm not spending more money on anything with those latches. Negrini sell latches separately but they appear to be $20ea, which is more than the cost of the case.

:(

Crikey - great fun indeed :confused:

9. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    You've more patiance than me , I'd have to resort to some brute force

10. DaveRob

DaveRob Member

Club:
    York FT Club
    I have that case and they are the push pull latches at the end