Any maximum fps rule in FT?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Sundance, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Hi
    Not sure if I'm in the right part of this site..not very familiar with layout yet.
    My open question .. Is there a maximum FPS speed for a pellet within the ft rules?
    Just tried a non lead pellet in my Walther LGU and finding it quite consistent. Over the chrono it averages about 965 fps. At 5.6 grain this
    is about 11.5 foot pounds..
    Legal for UK but is it ok for Ft competition?
    Thanks..

2. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
  3. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Wrong pellets

Think you will find field target pellets have to be made from lead alloy.
    You have to run your pellets at 5fps under the legal limit for BFTA events.
    Simon

4. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
    The rule says "Any design of pellet that is completely made of lead, lead alloy, or zinc or zinc alloy may be used" but whether that's the case here couldn't say.

5. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Perhaps a bit off topic but will help none the less.

There isn't a non lead pellet available that's suitable for FT in my opinion.

Also many clubs won't permit non lead pellets due to the potential damage to targets and health & safety ricochets risk.

With all pellets weights the BFTA insist on 5fps less than the max of 12ft/lb

Good luck trying to hit anything at 55yrds with a tin pellet.

6. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Too lite

At 5.6 grain good luck with hitting anything in the wind.

7. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    You can't have an official BFTA statement on this here. Contact your region representative and work with him/her to establish a thought through item as this would need a change to the Main Shoot Rules.

From a personal perspective I think very light pellets will require an accurate mass measurement at the official chronograph location. You say 5.6grains (0.363grams) but consider what would happen if it registered 965fps but weighed more? A lighter pellet requires more accuracy in measurements of mass (not always easy on a course).

Also the impact of a pellet on a metal target can result in fragments. Some pellets "splat", others may break up in to "scabs". Consideration needs to be made of these pellets for close targets where there is a possibility of ricochets.

8. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Thanks for your replies. Not yet tested these over any distances, if they are composed of an ft legal substance then it will be interesting to see how they perform in a breeze..
    Thanks again for all input, particularly from the safety perspective..

9. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    Wouldnt want to be near you at a 8 to 10 yard target.
    The lighest pellet i would consider is the falcon accuracy plus at 7.33grain at 840fps, the 5grain pellets come out of the barrel fast but they also slow down very fast.

10. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

Having bought a tin I feel I should at least try them out but of course safety is paramount.
    I'm new to the ft scene and very much feeling my way. So many variables to take into account.
    This site seems to be a great resource and repository of knowledge..
    Good to know that I can save time and effort with the helpful advice of you guys..
    Thanks

11. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    I use 7.3 gr lead pellets but would be interested in seeing how you get on with your H&N field and target trophy green.
    Details on energy etc can be extrpolated from here: http//www.hn-sport.de/en/products/air-gun-pellets/hunting-and-field-target/field-target-trophy-green.html
    Keep us updated if you can.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  12. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I don't know what your shooting, but if it was deemed unsafe at club, I would ban its use, legal or not.

13. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    I had a dabble with these and a few others, and they have without doubt a very consistant weight and also, pretty damb useless past 15 yards, they all group like sh*t, and dissapear when wind is in play.:eek:

but the worst thing is, they will clog up the rifling, which can take an age to remove, (phosphor bronze brush recomended) and you wont get anything to shoot straight until you have removed all the zinc thats been welded into the rifling.:(

Good Luck, and Happy Scrubbing

PS. be very careful not to damage the Crown of the barrel when cleaning.;)

14. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

exploring the limits..

Thanks to all for the input, sounds as if these are just too light and I'm not sure I want to be cleaning my barrel trying to shift residue. They gave great consistency over the chronograph though..

15. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    We had to shoot non-toxic pellets back in 2011 due to restrictions for adding lead to the environment at shoots.
    A lot of testing has been done with several pellet types, gun setup, etc and the only conclusion you can make is that these pellets will not work for (H)FT.
    Besides severe ricochettes (pretty dangerous at close range), we encountered that these light-weight pellets group until say 30yrds and then start a life on their own....
    Grouping at 55yards was even bigger than the killzone, making FT more like a lotery... :eek:
    Besides that they were not really cheap...
    I skipped the entire 2011 FT saison due to this , after 2011 we went back to lead with FT targets in sort of boxes for collecting the lead (best effort of course).
    Non-toxic pellets...stay away from these.
    Regards,
    Rob

16. Sundance

Sundance Bush Cavity

nothing ventured...

Tested these yesterday and indeed they were useless after 25 yards..not awful but nothing like as tight a group as my lead opposition..
    Little surprised as they are way more consistent at the barrel when compared to best grouping pellet at the barrel...but even over that short distance they quickly went off mark