any good for hft

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by monty19, Aug 10, 2015.

1. monty19

monty19 New Member

2. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Monty

It's one of the most common questions ... " Thinking of starting HFT ... what scope should I buy? ".

ANY scope that's probably got the option of 7 to 12 mag in it's zoom range ( most will use 8 to 10 ... the odd shooter will go over 10 ) and a front end of 24 to 50mm ( most won't go over 40/44ish ) will do for HFT.

So will that scope do to get you started ... yes it will.

Ok so having said that. Most decent shooters will tell you to spend as much money as you can on decent glass. A lot of people spend several hundred quid ... even a couple of grand ... on a rifle and then spend peanuts on glass.

The spec of the scope can depend on how you want to shoot HFT and, more importantly, your eyes.

The ret ... it quickly became a trend to have as many marks on the scope as possible. Many years ago mil dots came in. Then multi aim point rets like the Christmas trees etc. Then half mil dots.

If you shoot 0.177 and have a zero around 35 yards you will actually only use a mark around half a mil dot high for targets around 25 yards and again about half a mil dot low ( @ 0.75 with medium mounts ) for targets at 45 yards. You will use 1 or maybe 2 dots down for very close ( under 10 yards ) targets.

So for actual aiming you won't need millions of dots.

People do use the dots to help rangefind by bracketing kill zones and faceplates. You may decide to range like that or you may get confused with all that and just range by eye and reference to other targets and objects on the way to the target. I've done it for a long time but it doesn't take long to get used to ranging by eye ( when walking the dog etc ). It soon becomes second nature to range by eye and then you don't need loads of dots/lines to bracket with. A lot of targets are becoming non standard re plates and kill sizes so bracketing gets more difficult.

You may want blur to help you range. In the old days people would typically have a 40mm ish front end and shoot on 9 or 10x and set the focus at 25 yards. This meant ( with a normal healthy eye ) that you had targets from about 13/14 yards in focus out to about 35 yards. At 40 yards the target was just going noticeably blurry. So you could tell if a target was 35 ( clear and in focus ) or 40 ( just out of focus ). At 45 yards the target would be quite blurry but you could still see the kill ok. So, again, you could tell if a target was 40 ( just going blurry ) or 45 ( very blurry ).

The close targets ( below 13 yards ) got more and more blurry. Very short ones you could hardly see the kill on a shot up target and you had to squint to see the kill.

Recently it's become popular to use a scope with a small objective/front lens. Some are 32mm and down to 24mm. Using 24mm and @ 8 or 9x and decent eyes you can probably get targets from 10 to 45 yards in focus. So you don't get the ranging by blur but you get to shoot at in focus targets.

So it can depend on how you want to shoot HFT and what method works best for you. Do you want blur to help range? Do you want lots of marks on the ret to help you bracket and range? Do you prefer very minimal ret so you get an uncomplicated picture? Do you want most of the targets in focus?

It's up to you.

The best advice as always is to keep your money in your pocket and go to a club with what you have. People will let you look through their scopes. Look through as many as you can. You will soon look through one that looks right to you. It may not be the most expensive.

I've looked through scopes that people are raving about ... and they've not looked great to me. I can't be doing with millions of lines all over the view. I don't use dots to range. Others are different.

I really wouldn't buy a scope that I hadn't looked through. It may only be 60 quid but if you get it and it doesn't suit your eyes then you will have to sell it. You may only get 30 quid for it or may not be able to sell it. You will have the inconvenience and time delay whilst you try and sell it to fund another scope.

If you don't have anything at the moment that you can go to a club with and start using whilst you look through other shooter's scopes and you are going to buy one without looking through it ... my advice would be to get a second hand scope that is popular. That way you will be able to sell it on quickly if it doesn't suit you and you will get your money back easily.

Those scopes include ...

MTC Connect ( any of the models ... I'm presuming you are shooting PCP ) ... they'll cost you about 150 to 190 quid s/h.

MTC Viper 10x44 ... s/h @ 100 to 120 quid.

Hawke Panorama ... any of the 3-9 or 4-12 Half Dots. Very bright and clear for the money. You should get a s/h one for 80 quid posted. Some are AO and some are fixed AO that you set at @ 25 yards.

Hawke Sidewinder 30 HFT Special 4.5-14x38mm ... there's one of these on the Airgun BBS at the moment for 130 quid s/h with the SR6 ret..

There will be others but that's just a start.

Some of those may be more than you want to spend so maybe you should try the Panoramas at @ 80 quid posted s/h.

The point is they are all tried and tested HFT scopes. If they don't suit you you WILL sell them on easily and get your money back.

If you have a scope at the moment just get to a club and people will queue up to show you their scopes.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. Upshot

Upshot New Member

Club:
    Lincs HFT, Heckington HFT
    It looks like a Mildot reticle from the pics, which is ok as far as it goes but most people find it useful to have a ret with more aim points like a half Mildot ret perhaps. The rest of the spec looks ok for the price as a starter scope for HFT.

One option you might want to consider is a s/h MTC Connect, choice of two ret styles with plenty of aim points. They are available for around £150 and if you don't get on with it you will always get your money back when you sell it on. This scope is used by many of today's top shooters.

atb

Nev.

4. regsie

regsie Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    I suggest you ask at your local club before investing in anything, clubs are usually very friendly places with helpful folk who are happy to let you have a look through scopes to give you an idea of what you might want that way it could stop you buying something you don't want. (this means rifles as well as scopes and most other kit)
    At our club we try to encourage club members to give some of their time and help other members.
    My tuppence worth for what its worth :)
    Happy HFTing its great fun :)

5. Old slider

Old slider Member

Club:
    Mad

What he said!!!

6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    LOTS of good advice above. What you'll find once you start Hft is that the scope is more important than the gun! Avoid the Leapers, I had one for two whole days! ;)

7. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Please have a look through a few scopes and ideally shoot a few courses with a second hand one before you decide you need millions of dots/half dots/lines to get millions of aim points for HFT.

You really don't need millions of aim points. It's not a rocket science sport.

Your ability to range, judge wind and be able to shoot accurately will greatly outweigh having millions of aim points.

Sometime all those dots and half dots and lines can make it too easy for you to use the wrong aim point. Some peope find all the lines and dots confuse the image.

One of the best bits of advice you can receive in HFT is take on board other people's comments but find out what suits you. Everyone is an expert and even what might suit the World Champ won't suit you. Find your own way. Even when you are going around a course you will hear guys who have shot it for years commenting on the range of the target they have just shot on the lane in front of you. You'll hear them convincing their partners and themselves that they definitely knew the right range. So when you look at that target you think it's actually something else but you must be wrong ... because they must be right ... and they look and sound like they know what they are talking about. Try looking at their scorecards at the end of the day. The ones with the best scores tend not to waffle too much ... they just knock targets down. You were probably right on the distance and they were wrong. I missed so many targets in the early days listening to around course gossip and trusting their judgement instead of mine.

Take on advice from the top shooters if you can. Try looking through plenty of different scopes before you buy. Find what works for you and develop it.

8. monty19

monty19 New Member

thanks for the info guys, looking for something a bit better,mtc viper 10x44 or the tac 30
    i likes a lot :)

9. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    My scores went up when my aim points went down as less to think about on the peg. With low mounts & a 30 yrd zero I can get away with TWO aim points & just place them higher or lower in the kill accordingly.

10. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

This should be a sticky :) Well said.

11. verminator

verminator New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Very good choices, I prefer the tac 30, slightly better glass, slightly less parallax issues etc.