Any good for hft / ft

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NewOnAir66, Jun 11, 2019.

1. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    I'm looking for a lighter rifle with less weight on the front. I quite like the brocock compatto, the longer Kozak and the 510 TDR. Would these be any good ? What would be best or do you have other suggestions?

2. Darron

Darron Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Blackbrook FTC
    Im not aware of any of the above rifles being used for FT or HFT at present that probaly gives you your answer

3. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    What is it that disqualifies them? Are they not accurate enough? Doing what the majority does is not always the best route ;)

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    You can do hft or ft with anything. And no one has found the best rifle for either. But rifles with magazines aren’t that popular because you have to remove them each lane, and generally after all the time both sports have been going if people buy gear for the sports then there’s usually a reason why they buy some things over others.

Darron and NewOnAir66 like this.
  5. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

If you are looking for a good light rifle to do HFT or FT at a reasonable price. Probably air arms mpr ft second had get for reasonable money.
    Or a second hand Bsa gold star single shot version.
    Has above there is no perfect rifle for either but adjustable cheek piece is a most in HFT for good head position. Also some type of hamster or ability to fix a hamster is a must has well.
    Also few poeple shoot with magazines at Hft competitions probably same at FT as well.

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  6. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Or a second hand ev2 can get for good money like the other guys have said the rifles you have mentioned do not really get used in HFT and probably FT as well.

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Personally I’d go for either of the two Brocock’s you mentioned ...possibly the most enjoyable experience with it will be opening the box each time it’s been returned back from being ‘fixed’ at the factory.

I love opening parcels :D

8. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    Isn't the mpr a 10m rifle and underpowered for FT? The Kozak is light, has an adjustable cheek and rail for a hamster etc. All mentioned rifles could be fitted with a single shot adapter.
    I'm trying to get an idea as weight is an issue for me and cost need to be under 1k. Would a 510 with custom stock work better?

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    The Kozak it is then!

Xbank and Darron like this.
  10. sven

sven Active Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    An Airarms S400 is quite light on the front, and is THE rifle that used by a lot of shooters to start in HFT, and for good reasons. Affordable, accurate and they never break down. And available in a superlight version with poplar stock when weight is a concern.
    I would prefer it over the 510 because the S400 is a single shot rifle. And would prefer it over the TDR for the same reason. And the size of the air cylinder is smaller on the TDR so you get less shots from a fill. But the TDR will also take you through a 30 shot match.
    I agree that single shot trays are an option for the TDR or 510, but you will have to load from the left hand side which is quite a hassle when you're a right handed shooter. And in a prone HFT position you will get annoyed with that very soon.

You can use the S400 for FT when you buy an aftermarket or custom stock for it. But when you're really, and I mean really, thinking about shooting FT, I'd say a second hand Airarms EV-2 is the best option. And can be used for HFT as well. The EV2 is heavier compared to the S400, but you'd have to have held the EV2 to appreciate the weight and balance. It's much less heavy than it looks.

Gary Martin and Emma like this.
  11. pbrown

pbrown Bunghole

If weight is an issue, as it was for me, another vote for an s400 when starting out in HFT.

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  12. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC

Thanks for your detailed response Sven. That's explained it really well and I have a better idea what to look for now and why :)

13. miketowler

miketowler Banned

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    1E7FC0E2-6B75-47FD-AD6B-3BCEBA51C993.jpeg As swen posted the AA 400/410/500 or 510 are all good reliable rifles and lightweight and to make one even lighter fit a aeron stock, as per photo and you could even make it lighter by taking the hamster and rail off the front?

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  14. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Air arms mpr ft is a 12 ft pounds rifle. Yes the s400 does come in a light version and are good rifles but you would need someone to custom cheek piece to make adjustable etc.
    Or buy a custom stock like above for it which all costs money.
    Best advice go to your nearest air gun club and speak to members who shoot HFT or FT most people are happy to let you shoot there rifle.
    Also a big thing with FT is the scope which could add a lot of weight to the rig.
    So get to a club see what HFT rigs are hopefully you will see FT rigs too.
    Make a informed decision rather than just buying something which is laying around in your local gun shop.

NewOnAir66, garym and Peter M like this.
  15. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Grumpy old sod!

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    Welcome to STB, NewOnAir!

Where in Kent are you from? I'm from Tonbridge originally... Lovely part of the world, despite the pikeys in Paddock Wood! ;)

As suggested above, the S400 is a great starter for HFT, but if possible visit a couple of clubs and see what's what. The UKAHFT at Maldon is about six weeks away; if you can save your money and cross the sea to Essex (no passport required, just rabies jabs) then you'd see the who gamut of airguns used in HFT. The Essex people are generally welcoming and often fully housetrained.

Look after yourself!

Ash

miketowler likes this.
  16. miketowler

miketowler Banned

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    The 510r above will be at Malden, there (Saturday and Sunday and your more than welcome to try on the plinking range

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  17. subaru swift

subaru swift I don't have a solution, I just love the problem.

Club:
    Kingsley HFT & Furnace mill.
    Welcome, my mum comes from Cheriton Kent ordinally.

Yeah s400 \ mpr etc will be a cracking HFT kit, some top shooters use them & do very well with them.

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  18. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I usually shoot springer, but had a couple of HFT rounds with my AA TDR 410.
    Did very well, quite liked it on the HFT course.

NewOnAir66 likes this.
  19. DaveRob

DaveRob Member

Club:
    York FT Club
    The MPR FT is a full 12lb rifle... its no longer made hence second hand only. the current MPR is a 10m rifle and unsuitable in standard form

20. NewOnAir66

NewOnAir66 Member

Club:
    ADRC
    Thanks Ash. I'm in Ashford and will check out the locals for inspiration :)