Any Burris 8-32 users??

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by paul4be, May 31, 2014.

1. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Anyone using a Burris 8-32 Signature for FT etc, any hints tips or tricks for set-up? Going to give one a crack, but not had much of a play in terms of setting up etc.

Thanks. :)

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    They don't have much turret adjustment - buy some adjustable mounts.

Check the parallax ring is smooth all the way through it's range especially where it matters, sometimes the turrets can stop clicking even though they still move the ret, so check for that. Oh and it needs to be the RA model too.

Optically - they're hard to beat

3. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Thanks Bri, already in my hands mate, just wondered about anything specific to them? Need to sort the PX ring ranges first off as well I guess.

Going on a springer, so wasn't going to use adjustable mounts really??

PX ring is smooth right through it's travel, clicks still very positive. It hasn't been used for FT previously, so turrets not had much use in reality.

4. Brian.Samson

Club:
    You'll be lucky if you get enough adjustment on it to zero it without adjustables. One cool feature of the Burris is that you can just undo the locking ring and move the PA ring round until it matches (assuming it's already been marked up in the past).

Don't know if they're springer rated sorry can't help you on that one.

5. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    Hi Paul

Had mine on sports match fully adjustable & they were fine. On normal mounts it had to be packed up, even on top of my Ajp rail which I am not a fan of.
    It's away gettining the ballistic mildot fitted at the mo but when it's back going to try it on the sports match angled mounts so it's a little lower & better for Hft as well.

Jon

6. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Thanks folks, looks like a set of adjustables on the wanted list now then :D

It's the plex ret, so nothing cluttered. Looking forward to having a play with it over the summer. :shot:

7. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Before I have a play tomorrow, what's the best/ correct way to set up the PX ring on one of these?

8. Steve Bowers

Steve Bowers Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    Burris

Hi,
    I've got one and what I did was to pack the scope mounts to obtain a raised back end.

What I did was get some " quick steel " from my local car accessories. It's a soft putty like a stick of black pool rock, you cut of a bit mix it together and in about 5 min it sets .

To use this you should set up the scope on your gun so you can zero the scope.
    Wrap some cling film around your scope where it fits in the rear mount. set you scope turret where you want your zero to be, then put some mixed putter in the bottom of the rear scope mount and fit the top of your scope mounts nipping up the front mount but leave the rear mount loose .

Then comes the tricky bit .....start to shoot your groups they should be high if you have enough putty under the back.

Then by tightening the rear scope mount the putty will squeeze out end your group should come down.

When you get the group to where you want it leave the putty to set solid. Once set remove the scope and trim off the surplus putty replace the scope (without the cling film ) and your in business.

The down side of this way is you have to work quick.

On the plus side you will finish up with a set of mount with a pre-set down wards position and your scope clamp is still round and clamps your scope without distorting the tube.

If you do get it wrong you can remove the set putty and try again.

Have fun

Stev

9. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Thanks Steve, mounts will be straight forward to sort. Just trying to get my head around setting up the PX ranges accurately without things moving when they shouldn't :D

10. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Just fit a fishing coaster and use that to turn the AO. Far less risk of turning the PA ring then.

A bottoming turret is a good idea for the Burris too as they're limited on adjustment you'll find it easy to go out a turn.

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Adjustable mounts. Less stress for scope and got user.

As an aside the alloy on them is soft. The tubes can be easily distorted. Pa rings can be as well just by squeezing with fingers. I did it on one to fix a warped pa ring...

12. paul4be

Club:
    Darlington RA
    Are you printing turrets for them Bri??

13. Brian.Samson

Club:
    I don't have one anymore so I don't have the measurements - they're pretty easy top turrets to make for anyone with a lathe though - just 3 grub screws onto a central shaft.