Anti-tamper

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Old slider, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Old slider

Old slider Member

Club:
    Mad
    Hi,looking for information on removal of anti-tamper on a hw100,
    Have seen something on you tube about grinding a slot in end of hammer
    So you can turn the inside left or right to increase or decrease the
    Power,it looks like some sort of snapped off lock bolt,would this be
    Loctited in or would you be able to turn it with the slot that was ground in,
    Or would this idea not work anyway?

Thanks Ian

2. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Your not allowed to discuss anti tamper removal or adjustment of the power on an open forum, sorry!

3. Old slider

Old slider Member

Club:
    Mad
    Oh ok,wet behind the ears comes to mind,you hear it talked about at comps etc,I didn't know that you can't actually talk about it,thanks for letting me know,I remember a school report about 40 years ago it said,"Easley led astray" looks like it's still happening!!

Thanks anyway

Ian

4. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    No worries mate, I had my wrist slapped by a moderator on the Daystate forum about 2 years ago, that's how Iknow!:rolleyes:

5. clubshot

clubshot Member

HW100's have their own seals - prior to UK attempts

Which are not a Legal requirement in UK

As their National rate is lower than other countries

My HW100 alway's went back to Hull's - Had a original - BAR Custom

Until Stolen from my Van -

As not aware of a Gunsmith able to Service or Get required parts

My main issues was being overpowered for a sub 12FP Rifle

BOB/R

6. raygun

raygun Non member

Why is that ?

ATB
    Ray.

7. raygun

raygun Non member

It's worth a try. The bolt may well be loctited in but if you can get it out and cleaned up you will be O.K.

If you are successful at least you will then be able to comply with the law by keeping your rifle within/below the limit.

ATB
    Ray.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  8. stryder5

stryder5 New Member

Anti tamper

It is not illegal to remove anti tamper, as above you may wish to curtail surplus power, the outlined YouTube video works.

9. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

As others have mentioned the AT is not a legal requirement but manufacturers are united in adopting it as std fitment. I have removed the AT off many HW100's, no new parts are required and the owner can then make adjustments to keep it sweet themselves.

10. Old slider

Old slider Member

Club:
    Mad
    Ok ,thanks for all the replies,gonna have a go, as previously said at least I will be
    Able to keep with in legal requirements!

Thanks Ian.

11. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    So "ner do wells" can't find out how to do it! :rolleyes:

12. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    ner do wells who can't use YouTube or Google :)

13. raygun

raygun Non member

Big presumption.

I would guess that the majority of shooters on here do not have AT fitted to their rifles. This enables them to not only comply with the law but also to set their rifle up to the particular pellet they use.

It would be interesting to see a reply as to why AT is fitted from any manufacturer. It would also be interesting to see any instruction from a manufacturer as to how you remain safe from prosecution if you find your rifle over power. They have had 7 years to think about it.

ATB
    Ray.

14. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Seen you chat about this a lot Ray, surely it's obvious why it's there at the point of manufacture, I can hear the lawyers voice right now as I type this.

You also have to remember not everyone is like us lot, I can point you at several forums where they are all running guns over 18ft+. Now I can hear you saying doesn't this just prove the case then? Well no it doesn't.

And the reason they haven't said anything? No desire to make waves or draw attention, life in manufacturing is hard enough and who wants to see the same laws of German introduced here.

15. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Sorry Martin but i really don't agree with the "let's keep quiet and nobody will notice us" train of thought. In this day and age it appears that the ones with the loudest voices are heard by those in power. The fact that we still have no confirmation about AT laws and no standard pellet weight (forensic testing) says loads about the failings of AMTA and BASC.

Most on here have target shooting rifles running around the 775-785 mark...that means that if our rifles were taken and tested, every single one of us would be ready for 5 years inside (if the max penalty was given)....an absolute friggin' joke:mad::mad:

I can understand AMTA being as much use as a sloar powered fog horn as they are in the trades pocket, but BASC should be chasing this down with every opportunity. The only people to benefit from AT are the manufacturers and the Post Office. You only have to look at the new AA and Daystate rifles to understand that they have been designed to go back to the factory for every little problem.

I can see the arguement for keeping the tinkering muppets out of rifles as i've come across some right abortions when servicing Steyrs which were totally down to the previous owners. Steyrs have no AT so are easy to get into but most on here, with limited engineering skills and tooling can remove the AT from almost every rifle on the market. The problem i see is that shooters seem to be split down the middle with one group looking to keep within the law (target shooters mostly) and those that don't give a Monkeys chuff....and in my experience tend to hunters. I went ratting a few years ago with a mate and 2 lads i didn't know who were shooting rapids at 18ftlb, quite happy to state that they had no FAC and that i was a '*****' for mentioning it to them as "they're only air rifles"....FFS!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  16. raygun

raygun Non member

I don't understand why we, the customer, should be put in a position where we cannot comply to the legislation.
    The manufacturers managed to sell us PCP's rifles from the late 70's up to 1997 without any concern as to our, or others well being or whether they were legal or not. (the legislation hasn't changed)

We now reach a stage where the manufacturers try and ensure (and as you have pointed out, quite unsuccessfully if we have so many running over 18FPE) that we cannot comply with the law. I find it strange that we are subject to a law that we cannot comply with by a third party. I also do not know of any other parallel within the legal system.

The manufacturers have made no effort to explain why this action has been taken, neither do they advise what action you should take if you rifle does fall foul of the law. Why not?
    Interestingly not all manufacturers fit AT anyway.

Perhaps we would get the French limits instead of the German ones.

ATB
    Ray.

17. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Because you/we are not everybody and reasonable measures should be taken to protect "your" customers and the manufacturers future.

Plus you don't need a FAC Dealer licence to stock them so there's lots of business reasons as well, you just don't agree with it but you may if your livelihood and future depended on it. Making stuff in the UK is hard so why make it harder and risk your own future? It's not like they've made them impossible to reach is it?

See above but they don't need to, it's obvious why it's there.

18. raygun

raygun Non member

How does preventing someone complying with the law "protect" them ?

"See above but they don't need to, it's obvious why it's there."

Could you please explain the above. I don't see why it's there.

ATB
    Ray.

19. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Thing is Ray, you just won't accept the other side of the argument and I'd guess that you've never manufactured anything and tried to get it on the shelf in a commercial public facing site.

So let me spell it out this way:

Lawyer: M'Lud, Mr Smith walked on Air Gun Magic and purchased FTD MK17 2000 for £230 and with the turn of one small grub screw turned the rifle into an FAC 18ft rifle and that's what killed the small child. We not only hold Mr Smith reasonable but also Big Guns Ltd for not taking reasonable precautions to ensure their products complied with the law.

You are not everybody Ray.

20. raygun

raygun Non member

I would guess that someone manufacturing anything would have as a prime requirement that their product complied with any legislation in the country it was being placed. For over 40 years (PCP's) air rifle manufacturers have placed their product on our market and expected us to buy it. The legislation pertaining to sub 12FPE air rifles has not changed in that 40 years. Many thousands of those air rifles made in the last 40 years are still out there.

I'll ask you the question again.

How does preventing anyone complying with the law protect them ?

All that's required of a manufacturer/RFD is that at the point of sale the air rifle must not be capable of more than 12FPE and it can be sold to a none licence holder. After that point it's the responsibility of the rifle holder.

ATB
    Ray.