Anston ground history?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by neilL, Jun 27, 2012.

1. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Hi
    Just a quick question about the Anston range (there last weekend for the GP). Just curious really as to the history behind the site. The railway lines and embankments (brutal wind deflectors!) and the ash/brick shards? in amongst the mud made me wonder what sort of industry there was there way back.

Trees making a comeback but many were pretty established, also the large pond.

Must be lots of other things around there :) Love to hear about other grounds where clubs now fling the lead where once upon a time there was something else there. Great to see woodland reclaiming the site.

Thanks
    Neil

2. GTC

GTC Member

Club:
    anston
    hi neil, anston ftc is on the site of the old renishaw park coal mine, the enbankment was a walkway for the colliers walking in from renishaw and there used to be a iron bridge over the railway, there did used to be tracks ontop of the enbankment but i cant remember them and iv'e been told the pond was for water pumped from the mine but not sure about that one, hope that helps.

3. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Where on the site was the pithead? Did think the pool was something to do with it but it seems too big and natural, plus pitheads (certainly in Staffs) had a concrete slab cast over them. Was having a discussion about this too on the way home.

4. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

As you drive in the main gate there is a wooded area to the right just before you turn left, there is a chimney style vent sticking up from the trees....not sure if that is the shaft vent though

5. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    May be site of the mine vent, Ex pit-men here will be able to say better than me, and basing what i'm saying on Whitfield pit, Brindley Ford, Staffs (which is still relatively intact) but there would a shaft connected up to exhaust fans to draw air through the workings, air being drawn in through the other shafts down into the workings.

6. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
  7. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Many thanks. I grew up in a S. Wales mining valley and there were 2 pits (long since gone - Windsor and Universal) so it must have been familiar to me at an old memory level as a kid 'exploring' :)

8. Big Si

Big Si Member

Have a look here for some photos of the colliery, I wonder if the mound on the third picture is the "Rabbit Bank" which is against the car park, and the woods in the top of the picture is where the zero shed is now. I'm not too sure of the orientation.

http://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/pits/Renshaw/Renshaw.htm#top

Si

9. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Found this whilst mooching around tinternet

Renishaw Park.

Formerly owned by J.&G.Wells LTD Eckington Collieries sunk in 1860. Grid ref. 438775. Four shafts together in the pit yard, number one is 678 feet into the Blackshale coal: number three was the main winding shaft at 195 feet into the Sitwell seam but the pit bottom is laid out in the Chavery seam. The number four shaft lies about 30 yards west of number two shaft, this shaft was formerly the number two shaft.

An explosion took place at the colliery on January 10th 1871 which resulted in the death of twenty five men and two boys with twelve others injured. This disaster took place before the widespread use of safety lamps in mining.

10. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    cheers dave very interesting that, ive always wondered about them tracks ,now i know

rick

11. IvanM

IvanM Member

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Wow there's something melancholy about those old pics, my Grandad and Stepdad were colliers. My stepdad took me down the pit when I was about 14, frightened the crap out of me to be honest.

12. Coney

Coney New Member

Great to see the old pics, my Grandad worked down the pit in Sheffield ( Nunnery ) which is now a Makro amongst other things, always had a interest in mining, The mining museum just off the M1 ( if still open ) is well worth a vist :)

The recent GP showed what a fantastic varied ground we have at Anston, recycling does work :D

Alan.

13. GTC

GTC Member

Club:
    anston
    seeing photo's stirred a few memories for me Al mainly 84/85, if recycling really works hope they recycle thatcher n rest of the reptiles, wonder what they'd make poison perhaps