Anston Combined club Challenge

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by rick, Sep 23, 2010.

1. rick

rick New Member

Just read the write up of the shoot in Octobers Gun Mart and a statement saying they have withdraw coverage of UKHFTA events due to complaints.

Here is another complaint for them, they have published the winning teams picture and instead of Redfearn Renegades they have publish a picture of the Emley team that came 3rd. :(

I know Trev, Chris and the rest of the Emley lads wanted to win but pretending to be Redfearn's just to get your picture in a mag is a bit much.:rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

2. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    To be fair - they are better looking than us ;)

3. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

no models there then:D:D:eek:

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree

What was the complaint?

5. rick

rick New Member

Its titled Mark bows out.

They say it is partially because they have received 2 complaints from UKHFTA about the content of last months report. It is also partly because they could not expect there reporter Mark Camoccio to compete in HFT events and continue to give unhindered reports when there is clearly a difference of opinion between him and some officials of the UKHFTA.

Does not say what the report was about or what the nature of the complaint was. Wonder if it had anything to do with the wearing of glasses and hats.:D

6. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    How crap is that! Mark is a top bloke and writes some good articles, is he not allowed an opinion about an event he paid to compete in?

7. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

A number of UKAHFT shooters brought Mark's last article to our attention so Pete Sparkes & myself contacted the editor to express our concerns as there were a number of errors in the article, we were then told that Mark would no longer be writing UKAHFT reports for them anyway.

At no stage did we request that Mark not report on the events for them, we only pointed out that some of the content wasn't true & was misleading.

Maybe his reporting was no longer possible due to him not being allowed on the course to take photographs, this ban followed a number of serious safety violations whilst taking photographs at Lea Valley & Bisley.

8. Dave Ramshead

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I wasn't aware of any safety violations Pete.

I read the article and can't see a problem with it myself, It's just an opinion from one writer and his thoughts whether you query the accuracy as you see it or not (if you get what i mean).

You know I don't agree with everything you apply, like the finickiness on cards, but just respect it enough to get on with shooting some targets at the weekend and enjoy the course :)

9. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    There's always two sides to a story Dave, everyone is allowed an opinion, but its nice to be factual and with it being in a magazine we can't respond and as Pete has said it wasn't us that asked them to stop covering the shoots, just pointed a few things out.
    But it seems we will look the bad boys:( at the end of the day its just a hobby and it makes me wonder sometimes is it all worth it.

Pete

10. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Why should you have been Dave, these incidents were reported by four different marshals & after an initial warning at Lea Valley were repeated at Bisley twice, we had no choice but to act.

We didn't see it that way nor did a number of other UKAHFT shooters who also complained to GunMart, all we wanted was to be able to give our side of things, which hasn't happened. However a very similar article :rolleyes:has appeared in another magazine & our side of the story will be published in a future article.

That's the problem though Dave, most shooters can see the need for rules but some don't like it when it affects them, how fair would it be if we start picking & choosing when or when not to apply the rules.

If we take Lea Valley as an example where we both got zero's for taking targets from an incorrect position, would it have been OK to award you a zero & then give myself a "2" ???

11. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

What finickiness are we talking about Dave ???

Are we talking the docking of points for clear alterations to a scorecard that haven't been authorised by a marshal ??

12. Dave Ramshead

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    The one where your shooting partner who marks your card makes a mistake, forgets to get it signed, you don't notice and end up paying the price. Always a harsh decision mate and no convincing me otherwise (as well you know:D)

13. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I would totally agree with you Dave it's very harsh but how can we distinguish between that & someone who alters their card to get a higher score ??

In previous years we had a number of shooters who altered their card so we had a choice:

1) we allowed this to continue & it would have then escalated.

2) We take a stand & get people to have any changes authorised by a marshal.

UKAHFT chose the 2nd option, it does however have it's downsides which is why we ask shooters to check their scorecard is correctly filled in before handing it in.

14. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    It does seem that the way its been worded in Gunmart is that we have banned Mark from writing!!

Here is part of the email

Gunmart
    In conclusion, you will undoubtedly be pleased to know that Mark will no longer be reporting on HFT events for GunMart or Shooting Sports. This is an editorial decision, but in any case reporting by Mark would of course be impossible with both your ban on photography (1) and – in effect – a gagging order on what he can and can t report (2).

Our reply

No we are not please that Mark will no longer be writing for either of your publications, we would just like the articles to be factual & balanced about the events. Nobody has suggested gagging anyone, articles that present a balanced view or even a one sided view stating only the facts are not a problem but Marks comments about who pulled the target or this being “an utterly ludicrous all too familiar spectacle†are clearly not accurate.

Pete

15. NJR 100

Club:
    I take it he must have crossed the firing line?
    Otherwise, what did he do wrong please?

16. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Earlier this year at the first round of the UKAHFT series (Lea Valley) Mark was seen to cross the firing line during the competition to take a picture of a competitor, this was whilst shooting was taking place & is strictly against our rules & those of all other shooting sports. Mark was approached by a marshal & knowing he had broken our safety rules he apologised & promised not to do it again.

At round 2 (Bisley) Mark was again seen to cross the firing line during shooting to take the same type of picture, he was approached by the chief marshal & although he promised not to do it again he did say to the Chief marshal that the risk was worth it for the photograph . However as soon as the chief marshal walked around the corner Mark again crossed the firing line to take another picture, this was seen by another on duty marshal, who confronted Mark about his disregard for safety & the UKAHFT rules.

As a result of these three serious & repeated safety violations we came to the decision that Mark would be permanently banned from being allowed onto UKAHFT courses to take pictures, although he can still shoot as a competitor. Pete Dutton personally informed Mark of this at the next shoot & his attitude was that we could not do this & that his transgressions were only minor.

Pete

17. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    What Pete is saying is correct,

I was the marshal who warned Mark at Lea Valley, then at Bisley when the chief marshal informed me of what Mark had done a second time, I had no choice, but to inform the UKAHFT organisers of the complaint.

I was informed that Mark would receive a photography ban and I asked Pete Sparks if it would be OK for me to supply Mark with photographs for the rest of the season. Pete agreed to this and I made the offer to Mark.

As a writer myself, my experience of both Pete and Pete, is that they have shown me nothing but respect. I have never had my work questioned and unlike another shooting series I used to write about, I have cart blanch to report the shoots in any way I see fit.

I do not know what Marks problem is, or what axe he has to grind, but if he stuck to the safety rules like the rest of us, then he would still be allowed to take pictures today.

Gary

18. NJR 100

Club:
    Thanks for the clarification.

As a prossesional photographer I understand that when being "paid" to get the shot you sometimes have to take risks, but being over the firing line is just plain daft.:(