Anschutz 8002 S2 - Help required

Discussion in 'Anschutz' started by banditrob12, Dec 9, 2015.

1. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Shooting my 8002 today at the range for about an hour, all of a sudden the cocking lever would only move 10mm or so, obviously not cocking. Laid the gun on its side and had a look and it freed itself off, just presuming it was a bit of lead that had jammed somewhere, or something similar, carried on shooting for another 2 hours, gun shooting spot on.

When I have got home and come to clean the gun I noticed the cocking lever when fully cocked slides forward a couple of mm on closer inspection I can see a small metal ball bearing underneath the gold plated part of the breech, see picture. The ball is moving backwards and forwards freely.

looked at part diagram it is part number 90, presuming the part no 89 spring has broke or come out of a recess. Guns still smooth to cock and shooting spot on.

My question is am I going to damage anything if I carry on using it? I don't want to contact Dave Welham (who converted it) as I know he's recovering from a severe back operation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

[​IMG]

2. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    Anschutz 8002

Hi Rob, Sounds like the stabilizer catch has broken , nodoubt a guru will come along soon to help out.
    Regards Peter

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  3. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    Anschutz 8002

Hi Rob, Sounds like the stabilizer catch has broken , nodoubt a guru will come along soon to help out.
    Regards Peter

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I have heard this has happened before with some of the Anschutz rifles, when converted to 12ft/lb the stabiliser catch is flirted much harder by the increased air pressure to the point where it leaves a mark where it hits the action. If you cock it right back you will see an imprint in the black face under the bolt where the catch impacts the anodised surface. There is just enough room between this face and the bolt to put 2 layers of black insulation tape to act as a cushion to reduce the likely hood of this happening. Next time mine is apart i may put a little recess here to put a nylon pad in.
    You will need to purchase a new catch as your stabiliser wont be working. then put 2 layers of tape there.
    Mine has had tape there for several thousand shots and is fine.

5. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Thanks for the replies, I thought as much.

The strange thing is it still shot brilliantly after it had gone, shot some of the tightest groups I have shot in years this afternoon.

Simon

Would you recommend not using the gun till its sorted? Any idea where I can get parts from? they look straight forward to fit, are they?

thanks for any help

6. Tench

Erm,,,,i suppose if nothing is snagging when you cock it then it wont be doing any harm to use it?
    As for fitting a new one, i have never done it, it is easy to get the bolt out, once out i would think it is straight forward to change the catch.

Take off the rear cap, left side plate and connecting lever, remove the cocking lever and slide the bolt out the back. If you pull the stabiliser out of the bolt be aware the brake ring and springs might flirt out!! I have these springs if (when) you lose any!

Can you see a mark in your block under the bolt where the catch taps on it? That is where you need to put some tape to cushion the it. It is right near the back on the flat bottom face.
    I don't think this is a problem suffered by many, i have heard of one other, more likely a bit of bad luck.

Boinger list some spare parts so i expect they will be able to get the catch, if they don't keep it in stock, or Anschutz them selves?

7. Where's Molly

Where's Molly Member

Club:
    M.A.D
    I wouldnt use the gun if i were you as youve no idea of knowing where the broken half of the flipper or the spring are located.
    Its already jammed up once which will have caused some degree of damage which you will be wanting to minimize.
    Theres also no knowing when that ball is going to put the brakes on which will also cause damage and hinder an easy strip down.
    As Simon says theyre made to work harder in 12lbft format and it could end up becoming a weak spot as these rifles start to become more popular.
    Not only does the flipper get smacked by the ball with 12lbft worth of air behind it, it will also be over adjusted so that the stabilizer works harder and because of its crude design that means that therell be more force applied across its length to release it.
    One half of the flipper will still be in place (its retained by a pin) but youll need to locate the bit thats jamming the mechanism and of course the spring and ball too.
    Theyre available from Ruag Ammotec www.ruag.co.uk but theyre completely useless and you need to prepare for this as itll be a shock to the system when you find out how badly they run the company.
    Again Simon makes sense when he says get them from Germany and Buinger are great guys to deal with.
    Cheers.
    Rich.

8. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    Anschutz 8002

Hi Guys,
    I did speak to Jon Harris concerning my own some time ago, he did say the standard catch is not strong enough for the extra force & that given time to work on one he does make one of his own stronger to suit 12ft lbs
    Regards Peter

9. Tench

I have inspected mine today, the 2 layers of tape acting as a shock absorber are standing up well, there is an imprint in it but it has not penetrated through after well over a thousand shots. I am happy with that, I will check it again in a month or so and change it if it looks worse. I do think this will be a benefit to prevent breakage caused by it hitting a hard surface when flirted by the increased pressure. Changing the tape a few times a year is not an hardship!

10. peter b

peter b Member

Club:
    BYLEY
    Anschutz

Interesting about putting tape on to lessen the impact, mine is having a service (Sam Barr) will try tape when I get it back.
    Regards Pete

11. Jon

Jon Member

Depends how the actions converted as to the amount of extra force.
    Name in question uses an extra long grub screw cranking up severe pressure on that sear guaranteed to break.

Used mine for 8 1/2 years, bomb proof.

Its same part as a Steyr.

12. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Got the Anschutz back up and running today, I'd like to thank Jon on here for pointing me in the right direction for the parts and Harry Preston for supplying them quickly.

13. Steve

Steve Member

Mine snapped aswell,did the same thing ie.wouldnt cock.Took it home stripped it down,removed all of the catch.
    Mat Hirst sourced me a new one,but I had been shooting it without the stabiliser whilst waiting for the part.The gun felt nicer to shoot without the stabiliser in.:confused:

14. john79

john79 JEDI

So did you fit it back in or left it out?

15. Tench

Which would suggest to me it was set with too much spring preload and was slamming into the back stop, which does make them feel pretty awful and puts too much strain on the sear! correctly set you don't feel it, which is the whole purpose behind having a stabiliser!

16. andyfin

andyfin Member

In my option tench even with the stabilizer set at its max it does not come far enough back to hit the plastic stop.I did reduce the friction from 3 inner stabilizing springs to 2 then 1 to see is I could reduce the spring tention on it there fore reducing the force of the impact of the ball bearing on the latch holding the stabilizer in place.it did slam into the plastic stop and although it wasn't bad to shoot it was to weird a sensation.in my opinion it would be better if a stronger hook was available either made out of titanium or better grade steel or even a better design so we can run the stabilizer to the max without the excess pressures acciated with it.let's not fore get this design was not intended for 12 foot pounds and that out of the new FWB and this rifle this one doesn't need the stabelizer working to keep its accuracy.Infact although it stops the flip on the front end and makes follow through easier I have had my best performance when it wasn't working.i have now reduced the spring tention on the stabilizer on mine in the hope it keeps the latch from breaking.It's not because it's a big job to replace them,(although the ball bearing is very small and easy to lose)and you have to punch the pin out holding the st hook.it's because they are to hard to get hold off.some on a earlier post said get them direct from Germany and Jon now says Harry Preston can get them(Jon you never told me that 're our conversation.)so if they become more obtainable I will deffo increase mine.I love my Anschutz and know once they have had there 6ft to 12ft pounds conversations and a few other problems solved,they are a match for the very best. Good luck especially all you Anschutze shooters and all the best for a windy 2016 to every one.

17. Tench

Andy, on mine I could adjust the stabiliser to slam into the back very easily. So I increased the braking effect of the band and 3 springs so it can be run under greater tension without it hitting the back to make it very much more effective at 12 ft/lb. I also ensured the lip on the stabiliser that the sear engages on is smooth so it releases with the least effort, no problems yet. I am using 2 layers of tape as a buffer to decelerate the catch to minimise the possibility of it snapping. I am sure the snapping is caused by its impact with the action block. The sear is certainly upto doing its job as they are fine in the Steyr even at higher power, minimise the impact with the block and it should be fine.

A titanium sear might be a good idea as its lower mass will reduce the impact shock as well as it being a tough metal. I have plenty ti so will make one if I ever need to. If I have to take the shuttle out again I will machine a rebate in the action to put a small nylon pad in too.

18. Steve

Steve Member

In answer to above,yes it's installed but I don't shoot the gun anyway.Andy Finnigan always said he didn't think the stabiliser was working correctly on mine even before it snapped,but I'm sure he can testify how nice the gun was to shoot.
    It's just another thing on my list of not very important things to get round to sorting;)

19. andyfin

andyfin Member

Yes your Anschutz is a beautiful bit of kit Steve,I would also state if you only had the one rifle as I have then you would make time to put it right.

Tench the idea of using tape to cushion the impact sounds good and I will try that on my Anschutz.

20. john79

john79 JEDI