Another Steyr conundrum

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by CoolId, May 22, 2014.

1. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Last week I took the opportunity to use an indoor range to check my windage zero - and came away more confused than when I started

The 25m groups we produced were consistently about 2 pellet diameters high (good enough for me) but about 8 (yes eight) pellet diameters wide. I hadn't realised this when shooting outdoors because I had always put the spread down to wind

The gun is a 110FT, floated barrel, serviced, stripped and checked for obvious wear and loose components, shooting JSB Express at 792 MV with SD around 2. It was shot from a bench, by 2 different shooters, with 2 different scopes and mounts, right across 2 fill cycles. Shooters in adjacent lanes had no problems with draughts

Any suggestions? Or do I just have an imp in the breech somewhere?

Regards

Dave

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Ordered the cleaning gear Dave... we can see if that helps her.

At least we know it's not the scope... or the mounts... or the shooter/s

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Try turning the barrel 45 degrees and see what happens then.

4. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    With or without stripper? Def worth turning barrel 45 if it hasn't got a stripper if it has try a group without.

5. CoolId

CoolId New Member

It hasn't got a stripper so we can count that out. The idea of a 45 degree rotation (or indeed 90) is an excellent one - though I'm not quite sure what to do after that ...

Many thanks

Dave

6. sven

sven Member

Club:
    FT Schalkhaar / SSV Ons Genoegen
    I'd say one of the screws that hold the barrel are loose.
    Or your front rest is wobbly. Had that once, forgot to tighten the screw on the rest.

7. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Two screws on the front of the block, very easy have a look at the steyr how to vids. Another thought is the barrel free floating eg grub screw in the front out.

Dow read floated soz

Bri

8. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Many thanks to the 2 kind gentlemen (BDL and Lavant_Lad) who suggested a 45 degree barrel rotation - but perhaps you can suggest why that should work so magically?

We tried a few other things today, and a really good clean (thanks Rob), and shooting at the top half of the fill both helped to tighten the groups

I have had a few other suggestions that I will try next, but I want to test the results so far on a full 55 yard range

Many thanks

Dave

9. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    It could be barrel related as in rifling or slightly miss aligned, Worst case it's been knocked

If the spread moves direction then this may suggest a knocked barrel.

I believe it's also a way of finding the best alignment for the barrel, not sure where I read that but did read it some place.

Bri

10. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Blimey Dave, that is a wierd one. If the zero was adjusted and then there was still a horizontal spread i would be truly stumped so i can understand the dilemma. Keep us informed. If you would like to borrow a new 55cm barrel to try then let me know:)......i would suspect the pellets straight away if it was me.

11. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Any developments on this ?
    Just being nosey...:)

12. CoolId

CoolId New Member

No mate - sorry. Rotating the barrel 45 degrees gave me perfect round groups, but still don't understand why. Add to that more cleaning, and using the top half of the fill and the gun is on fire now. Shame about the shooter

Regards

Dave

13. rich

rich Active Member

Harmonics? :lev

14. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

can you replicate the symptoms if you rotate the barrel back again to the original position?
    i.e is there a definite black spot ?
    if so perhaps there's a particular sweet spot too. ....out with the Tipp-Ex methinks..!
    does the poi move with barrel rotation or just alters the shape of the group ?

that top half of the fill thing is interesting , how many shots does that give you before it starts to go off ?
    what pressure is a full fill ? and what pressure does it start to go away ?
    re. harmonics
    there were some barrel weights for sale on here a while back

15. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

The barrel has got a slight bend in it, Not uncommon.
    All you have to do is rotate it like you have done.
    It's referred to as shooting the barrel round, so the twist is in the vertical plane.
    You will need to re check all your aim points if you want to be precise,as it may of altered your trajectory slightly.

16. CoolId

CoolId New Member

Many thanks for your continued guidance. I hadn't considered that there may be a position that is even better though in hindsight a gun like this should be capable of single-holing at 25m. Something to try!

And yes the POI did move - by about 1.25 MOA at 25m - I have now re-zeroed it across all the ranges

The pressure thing is not something I have pinned down exactly yet. Starting from 200 it's good down to about 120 (about 70 shots) but then I seem to get the occasional low flier. Good enough for any competition though

Cleaning is also a much bigger issue than I realised. After a really good session with the rod a couple of weeks ago, it still benefits from a more normal clean (1 wet, 2 dry) after each shoot, and then half a dozen shots to settle it back in (sometimes not needed)

I think we're winning though

Best wishes

Dave

17. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Check the reg pressure, it may be set on the high side if it starts playing up when it drops to 120bar.
    Also be careful with the cleaning rod as you can damage the Crown and choke, this is what happened to mine.
    I never put anything else though it other than VFG felts now.

18. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It's set to 85 bar... so should be fine :)