Another new Plinker...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bfto_connor, Oct 2, 2010.

1. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

Hi all,
    i just recently got a second hand old .22 springer (Diana 45 MOD '88) and joined the BFTO, Originally when i joined i just liked shooting in general and was looking for a foothold to get me started, I had no idea about any of the disciplines but just found that i enjoyed shooting targets and for me the challenge is to shoot as far as i can whilst staying accurate and i think long term i had the idea to get a FAC and shoot .308's etc.
    Now ive been to the club a few times i can see that ive greatly underestimated modern air rifles and the skill in using them! Watching people repeatedly hitting a tiny spinner target at 55yds over and over really impressed me and the guns have come some way since i last held one about 15+ years ago!

So now i havent completely dismissed the FAC but i look forward to hopefully becoming as proficient as some of our club members and i am happy that i have loads of room for improvement and some great rifles to look forward too! I'm sure that time spent behind an air rifle will only put me in better stead for if and when i do eventually decided to get a FAC.
    Also a nice surprise is the social aspect of FT/HFT and plinking, i can sometimes be a slow burner when it comes to meeting lots of new people but there are many here and at my club that i look forward to meeting and borrowing all your tips and advice!

Connor.

2. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Welcome to STB, enjoy your stay and be warned Air Rifles and Scopes are addictive.:)

3. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

Too late! as a probationary member im only allowed down the club four days a week, and ive been down every time and shooting on my lunch break at work :D even stripped my gun today for a clean spent time in the local gun shop lookign for my next future rifle :shot: on tuesday i only popped in for a quick go to zero my scope, two hours later i thought i best pack up lol im really enjoying my springer but reallly need to buy a PCP now, they are amazing!

4. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Connor what ever you do make sure you ask the guys at the club before you buy another rifle, some rifles are far more suitable than others depending on what disciplin you decide to do be FT or HFT we see a lot of people who have been sold something that someone wants to sell rather than what will really suit you.

5. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Wait use the club guns , ask any body down there for a go on something you like the look of do a couple of the club comps. Don't fall into the trap of shiney must have/magpie syndrome.:)A shop will sell you want he wants to move that has been around a while.
    BFTO ,Don

6. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

thanks for the tip! I will ask around, in fact im hoping once ive been there a few times some of the guys might let me have a little try with their rifles lol the ones i like the sound (and feel) of so far are the HW 100T, Prestige Kub Thumbhole Side Bolt Action, Daystate-MK4is-ST and the AA EV2 MK2 i also quite liked the AA MPR as well. Obviously theres a broad price range there from the £600 ish mark right up to £1100 ish i would really like a Daystate grand prix as well but £1700 is way out of my budget, the EV2 is really more than i would want to spend as well but should it be the best choice then i think i would to save money in the long run by having to upgrade later on.
    cheers,

Connor.

7. bfto_connor

bfto_connor New Member

Hiya Don, you beat me to it! lol im not in a hurry to buy, im just getting a feel for what my options are. Even £600 is too much to spend on a rifle that doesnt suit my purposes or i dont like after a weeks use so i will take my time and try to get as much use out of the guns i like the feel of as i can, in the mean time im happy enough with my Diana (assuming i didnt do anything wrong when i stripped and cleaned it... :eek:)