Amount of Targets at Nationals

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by Sparky, Jul 3, 2009.

?

Targets

1. 30 Targets

46.9%
  2. 40 Targets

53.1%
  1. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Again this is only an hypothetical poll and it won t happen for a number of reasons, but we have heard a few times the saying “It s a long way to go to shoot 30 pellets†now this may be the case but a 40 target course would be great but not practical as just having an extra 10 targets can in fact add approx at the least another hour on each session, plus some clubs don t have the layout for those extra 10 targets, you could I suppose do like the FT and CSFTA and have 2 targets per peg/lane but if we did that that would only be 20 lanes whereas now we have 30 lanes.

Plus could anyone cope with Laity for an extra 10 targets:eek:

But please vote honestly on what you would prefer.

BUT PLEASE DON T READ ANYTHING INTO THIS AS WE HAVE NO INTENTION OF GOING TO 40 TARGETS.

Pete

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  2. nibbley-uk

nibbley-uk Dirty Daz

Thats a tough one, i would like 40 targets as like you say it can be a fair way to go to shoot 30 targets, but on the other hand if the weather is bad i have lost the will to live after 10.
    Again not suer of 2 targets per lane, but it does work in FT but then would people say it is becoming more like FT if this was to happen.
    If changes are to take place i would think it is worth trying at club level before introducing anything at the nationals.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I've voted for 40, but I can see the problems with that... and reckon it would only fly with 2 per lane. That said, I can't see the problem with that, you can be quite inventive... if it is 40, then it has to move faster... i haven't done a uk for a while, and i know it's an unfair comparison because FT shoots 2 per lane and doesn't lay down, but I find it notable that it can take the same time to do 30 HFT as 50 FT.

What about 35? :D

4. Mog

Mog New Member

Club:
    Truttemer Tir Club
    What about 60?

Two targets per lane, next to each other, second target 15mm KZ irrespective of distance.
    Shouldn't take much extra time, as each pair would be at same range, cutting down range estimation time and shot from same position.
    In these days of close scores it would help to widen the differential, and probably cut down on shoot-offs, thereby saving more time. Just a thought.

5. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I voted for 40. The reason being that over the years ive shot a lot of 30,40,50,60 and even 80shot courses and find that numbers beyond 30shots can really make or break shooters. 30 shots is a test in its own right but beyond 30 it really tests the stamina and mental side of the shooters capabilities and brings a whole new side to the courses:) 30 shots?...its a doddle :D:D

6. All That Remains

All That Remains Caution...I Bite!!!!

I dont really mind although from doing winter league with 20 targets of two pegs (shots) to one target I much prefer the one peg per target style its a much more interesting style.

7. Rik ochet

Rik ochet Its my skunk, I saw it !!

I quite like the longer courses but I have to say I don't mind as long as the 1 target per lane stays as I always seem to drop the second taget on a joint lane. Hit the first and great, think to myself no problem and then "DINK" Single shot lanes make you think more

But just my humble opinion as I was given permission to have one today :D

8. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Ryan how come you voted for 40? your back gives out on a 30 shot:p

Vinnie don't forget there would be more 15mm's on a 40 shot course and you are RUBBISH at them:D

Pete

9. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

You said that the 15mms where being scrapped in favour of 60mm targets that are shot benchrested at no more than 33yds!!! Is that true or just trying to lure more Sussex shooters to the nationals?? :D:D:D

10. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Phone rang before I could reply! I really enjoy the longer courses like the Gathering, Anglo and FT shoots. Like Vin says it's a real test to concentrate for that long, most of us struggle to concentrate for 30 targets and some of us struggle to physically to do 30 targets!:D:p

Like you say it's all hypothetical and it's mean a really long day if things carried on as they are or totally revamping the waythings are done so it'd be a shot gun start or something similar, which with the amount of shooters attending nationals would be caos! 35 would be a good compromise I reckon just those few extra targets would seperate the top boys. But then I'd also like to see hit or miss style scoring as well.

60mm benched would get more Sussex shooters up but there'd have to be a handicap so everyone but Ben Russel could mix it at the top!:D:p:D

Ryan

11. rogb

rogb Señor Member

ARF!

Nooooooooo please don't:shot::D

It's bad enough with the M&Ms...

(Mog and his mates)::D

12. Feral

Feral New Member

Only if the corners of the bench are rounded off Ryan, we're not allowed to play with sharp objects!

30 vs 40 is a tough proposition, there have been a few where it's particularly wet or cold or I've been having an awful day where I know having to face the 10 extra shots would probably lead me to topping myself but in balance I think the extra shots would make for a better test and wider spread on the score cards... not sure I'd envy the organisers the logistics of it though.

13. D Martin

D Martin Non member

I think the number and mixture of targets being used at the present time is just right so I voted for 30 but I would like to see a 40 shot course back in the gathering again like at Basingstoke in 2007,this set the gathering apart from any other shoot in the season because it was different.

Dave

14. Prone Shooter

Prone Shooter New Member

Whilst perhaps I shouldn't vote on this as a predominately non-nationals shooter, I voted for the 40 because it would possibly be enough to sway me towards shooting further afield.

It's very rare that an open or CSFTA club shoot won't either have 40 targets or other styles of comp to make a ful day of the event. If I'm going to drive up to 80 odd miles, I want more than 30 shots.

As regards to practicality, rather than putting out more targets, I'd go for the two pegs per target per lane option which would make course building quicker and as long as the pegs are put out with some thought, then it won't be the same shot twice. The downside to this would be the number of shooters on the course would be reduced unless having say 3 per lane.

If the one target one peg format is followed, then would it really add that much more time on to the session.

Regardless of eventual format, I'd say that 40 shots makes more economic sense to the average shooter.

Bob

15. Sparky

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Agreed it was good to have the Gathering a 40 shot course, but its a lot of hard work in Novemeber for a club to put out 70 targets and also daylight hours come into it.

Pete

16. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

40 would be spot on i reckon!!! Even more fun/noise!!!

Sorry Sean:)

LAity

17. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

Voted for 40 for no other reason than to spend a bit more time shooting :)

Neal

18. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

if we change to 40 targets it would add at least another 2 hours onto each shoot using the current 1 target per lane setup.

if we changes to 2 targets per lane with 40 targets we'd only be able to accommodate 160 shooters with 4 per group so some lanes would need 5 if we have large attendances :eek:

19. Nealsey

Nealsey Two Tins

That's a lot of extra standing about for the second session as well Pete.
    Either shooting or waiting for the scores to be sorted out.

I reckon with the stats you have above, it would put people off.

Neal

20. dave benyon

dave benyon Spirit of HFT 2009

What about increasing to 34 targets to see how it goes with regards to extra time needed for each session and take it from there.