UKAHFT Allowed sights

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Questions and Answers' started by pkfusion, Jan 18, 2015.

1. pkfusion

pkfusion Member

The rules state:
    Apart from a traditional scope no other optical aids are allowed.

Does that mean that open sights are banned? What if a rifle has a scope and open sights as well?

Could you please clarify, thanks

2. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    For what

What disapline are you looking to shoot with your dual sights?

3. pkfusion

pkfusion Member

Sorry! UK HFT

I see three scenarios.

Just open sights
    Scope plus a foresight
    Scope plus fore and rear sights

4. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
  5. pkfusion

pkfusion Member

Thanks for the link but I did look at the rules before posting. There is lots about not touching the scope and but then just the caveat saying no other optical aids, which open sights may be considered to be!

Thanks for the reply

6. skires

skires Well-Known Member

This will need to be answered by Sparky or Dutt.

I'm quite sure that originally, years ago, this rule was added to stop people using Laser dots to be used as well as telescopic sights ( or scopes with laser dots ).

These set ups could be used to help range.

It interests me as I have always personally struggled with close range targets ( 8 - 12 ). My eyes mean that they are totally blurred beyond recognition. Kills at those ranges are 20mm minimum. If I shoot at 20mm kills at 8 - 12 yards with the scope focused it's not difficult once you know the hold over. I'll hit them all day long. Shooting at them when you can't see them means I miss the odd one, especially if it's shot up.

If I shot those ranges up the garden using open sights I'd hit them with far less problem than trying to hit what I couldn't see. I started using high mounts and I often thought that I could use see through mounts and leave the open sights on. Then use the open sights to shoot the close range targets that I couldn't see through the scope.

Is that what you are thinking?

People used to use cheapo reading glasses for close targets as that helped focus them. That was also frowned upon.

You also can't use a flip down front cover for the scope with a small hole ( like FT shooters do ).

It will be interesting to see what the decision is.

7. pkfusion

pkfusion Member

Couple of reasons for the question really.

I come from a target shooting background so have used diopter open sights quite a lot! For fun I sometimes do our HFT course with open sights. However it looks to me like the rules forbid them.

However, if they are banned, what about those rifles that come with open sights and people **** a scope on and leave them there?

And of course your point of using open sights for the close ones! A blurred 10 yarder is Ok if you are an early shot, but later on it's very difficult to find a a blurred silver paddle behind a blurred silver plate!

8. pkfusion

pkfusion Member

Sorry, the forum seems to have replaced b u n g with ****. terrible word!

9. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I know some people ( just a few ) just use open sights on HFT courses. Maybe they've sneaked under the radar but I don't think the rule was to make people exclusively use telescopic sights ... just not telescopic sights plus lasers.

The Pete's have often said that they try and keep the written rules to a minmum and hope that common sense fills in the gaps. Otherwise you would have a set of rules 20 pages deep.

One of them will answer this.

10. pkfusion

pkfusion Member

I agree with small rule books and is a positive about HFT!

11. jedi020

jedi020 Red Dwarf

Club:
    Dunfermline Arc .... Juniper Green Arc
    Is it your intention to combine open sight, topped off with the use of a scope, thus short targets open-long scoped, or solely open sights...

Open sighted, I wouldn't see any problem.

Combined open/scoped.. I'd say no, purely based on the shooter who has no provision for a combination at a disadvantage....

Just my thoughts:rolleyes:

12. DazT

DazT Nursing A Semi !!

Club:
    rivi riflemen
    I don't think open sights can be considered an "Optical Aid" I think that rule was put in place to stop folk using glasses to reduce blur at close ranges as said above.
    opens sights are an aiming aid, and as you have mentioned some rifles have them permanently fixed to the barrel.
    However I think if you intend to use both that could be considered an advantage the same as using flip ups on the front of your scope with a hole in it.

Can you even buy mounts that you could see through to be able to use the open sights?

13. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

You can buy extra high see through mounts for using open sights with a smallish scope on.
    I'm pretty sure the use of more than one sighting system would not be allowed, even if its not explicit in the rules.

14. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

The official answer is you can either use open sights (without a scope on the rifle) or a scope, you cannot use both.

15. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    :D
    Close shots are always blurry,and they doen't get better the older you get. Young eyes have a huge advantage here,something that the FT'ers recognised and allowed a small hole on the front flip cap to ensure a level playing field for all.You got to see the target to shoot it This is not going to happen in the 'near' future, so it gets harder to shoot through a fog, but a chance of a heart attack if you manage to knock one down occasionally.
    Peep sights sort out close targets but fall down the farther out you go.But are worth considering!
    So, if your eyes are young and their muscles can pull focus on short and long targets, no problems. If older,pick up the generous handicap and hope for the best :D, or use very longggg barrels. Nothing in the rules about this so far, should be ok once you solve the weight problem.:rolleyes:.
    HERX77 .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  16. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    lucky for you then Mike as we only get 1or 2 close ones on a course:D:D

17. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Do we!
    I didn't notice! thats why my scores are so low then!
    HERX77 .

18. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    As someone with -8 vision and severe astigmatism as well as tiny but perfectly formed cataracts, I know wherefrom you come. These days as well as varifocals I have to use reading glasses - the worst of both worlds! In my experience the MTC-Connect - 24 is the best scope I've yet found. it has a great depth of field and the virtual lack of parallax error means that it becomes a lot easier to hit those very fuzzy close targets.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015