All this doom & gloom talk of air rifles being banned

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by FUBAR, Jun 16, 2009.

1. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

Im frankly sick of it, the whole things one big scare munger , i cant see how the goverment can police it it just aint gonna happen , all this (anti tamper and fac stuff is the least of our worrys )talk its just depressing :(

end of the day a shot gun licsence is a only what £50 for five years so even if they said weve all got to have facs its hardly the end of the world is it . besides the goverments got bigger problems then a few thousend air gunners .

ban air guns ok then i will shoot 22 live
    ban 22live ok the i will shoot shotguns
    ban shotguns ok i will shoot bows
    ban bows ok then i will shoot catapolt
    ban catapolts ok i will throw stones :rolleyes:

its just my take on it thats all moan over with now ;):D

2. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

You might be right but then again, you may be wrong. Hopefully it will be a storm in a tea cup but if firearms legislation or just airgun legislation is devolved to Scotland and airguns banned then I suspect that the writing will be on the wall for airguns in England and Wales too.

3. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

yep sadly i think your right aswell mate , i just feel our hands are tied , know what i mean :(

regards fubar

4. clubshot

clubshot Member

Fingers Crossed it is just Talk

As this or No other goverment for many years could possible find the Funding
    To license Air Guns or to Ban and Enforce the Ban

Most of Air Gunners problems are due to the Current Goverment
    Failing to Enforce the many Laws on the Books involving rouge Shooters

BOB/R

5. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Those pinkish shooters are a right bunch of rogues!;):D:p

6. martin c

martin c New Member

when i was a kid i had a toy pistol with a cork and piece of string ' technically an air gun' .

what i am getting at is how would you determine an air weapon as opposed to a toy, psi perhaps or fps. what level do you set it at a minefield i think. as has been said i think they have more on their mind at the moment and anyway the tories wont be bothered.:shot:

7. raygun

raygun Non member

I think that once past the 1 FPE line it becomes an airgun.

ATB
    Ray.

8. rattycatcher

rattycatcher Non member

Did they already ban handguns?
    Is it policed?

Is there a current legal limit of 12ftlbs for Air weapons in England?
    Is it policed?
    Do we have anti-tamper?
    If the answer to all the above is YES then why couldn't they:
    A). Ban all air weapons and police it in the same way as the handgun ban?
    or
    B). Set the legal limit to 2ftlbs and police it in the same way as the 12ftlb limit?
    C). Enforce Anti-Tamper and make its removal an offence which gets a Fixed penalty notice and criminal record awarded to the person found with the gun and maybe even treat it like construction & use offences, where both the person found carrying/using the air weapon, as well as its owner get fined.

Police cars carry Breath test kits that cost hundreds of pounds each, why couldn't they carry a Combro 625b @ £40 a pop, even less if police forces bought them in bulk. You may say that it would be too onerous to keep them certified but would it? there are all sorts of speed detecting devices that need to be kept calibrated, certified speedometers in cars, Scamra Vans, Police Pilot, Truvello, Hand-Held radar guns, also Breathalysers, would adding a Combro to the list really be that big a deal.

Then EVERY air rifle/pistol seen on the street could be seized, tested, destroyed if over 2ftlb. A fixed penalty notice offence could be created whereby say a £100 on the spot fine could be awarded.

They would hold an amnesty where we would all be invited to surrender our air weapons. They would then steal them from us, hold an auction in other European countries where air weapons are still legal and make a shed load of money from their sale. Those of us, (and I'm sure there would be a few) that failed to surrender them would keep them very hush-hush and away from prying eyes, (I'm sure there are some people who still hold handguns in clandestine circumstances) but heaven help them if for whatever reason they come to light. In the main it would keep them off the streets, well out of the hands of reasonable folks and like all other types of banned or prohibited gun, only the criminals would have them

This is NOT what I want to see, It's just that every time I read comments like "they wouldn't be able to ban air weapons" etc it makes me think "why" it would be all too easy if they really wanted to. :(

9. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
  10. rattycatcher

rattycatcher Non member

11. clubshot

clubshot Member

The Goverment might not have banned other Gun's

But they are playing games @ reducing their Numbers

By budget cutting Fire Arms teams around the Country

Which many Shooters are reporting is delaying New and updates

BOB/R

12. Grayling

Grayling New Member

A proud Englishman from a once great country sadly
    Club:
    Fort airgun club
    I'm really hoping its all a storm in a tea cup I've had my FAC before and its really not that easy to obtain in citys like Liverpool, yes we'll have to do it but the reality is at the power levels we now use its fairly pointless.

I do think this government should be taking care of other more pressing matters than this issue.

There are more illegal handguns round now than before the ban proving that PARTICULAR knee jerk reaction never worked and it was the ordinary law abiding folk who lost out AS NORMAL.

13. rattycatcher

rattycatcher Non member

So am I Grayling, but knowing what a load of jerks we've got in power, if they smell anything that might get them even one extra vote, they'll go for it. :mad:

14. MattF

MattF New Member

Club:
    Chesterfield HFT Club
    OK all this doom and gloom but what will happen to all the people who work at the manufactures plus the manufactures them selves in this country
    who votes governments in I know were a minority but the maufactures have a bigger voice

15. rattycatcher

rattycatcher Non member

Same thing that happened to all the people who manufactured hand guns, all those who were involved in fox hunting, all those who made hunting/sheaf knives. Government won't give a flying fig about 'em.

16. raygun

raygun Non member

I can't understand why anyone should think that a Government would give a fig for the few who's livelihood depended on airguns, both retailers and manufacturers.

Over a quarter of a million miners received no consideration, neither did the Steel workers ( Sounding Brass and The Full Monty were based on truth). There were few protests when the wool and cotton trade went to the wall. Engineering is a thing of the past.

Just look around and see what UK Ltd actually make and it's very little.

Unfortunately the airgun trade isn't even on the scale.

If they wanted they could bin it tomorrow.

ATB
    Ray.

17. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

perhaps not being on the same scale is a good thing maybe we will go unnoticed .:)

18. raygun

raygun Non member

They're doing their best to stay secret :D They won't even tell you what they're up to ;)

ATB
    Ray.

19. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

yer..lol:D