All that work wasted

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Barry, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Got the new woodwork ready for finishing today, first coat on the hamster reveal horrible dark patches on the stripey side of the laminate. Took it all off to about 2mm deep, resprayed and a different pattern of patchwork revealed itself.
    Close inspection of a new, untreated but sanded piece shows variations in the consistency of the green dye, have to look really close as it's almost invisible on dry wood.
    Show up a treat when it's wetted with clear sealer/primer though :eek:o
    Bugger.........just bugger!

2. Jinx

Jinx Non member

That's a real shame mate.
    Sorry to hear that.

Can you not just spray it all black though ?
    At least then it would match you're gun !

Not a good end i know but the style and shape is still good.

OR....Just don't treat the wood !
    I won't shoot in the rain anymore, too old and grouchy now.
    Fair weather shooter now so untreated wood wouldn't be a problem for me personally.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
  3. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    sorry to hear that , If you give it a semi matt finish will that still show up that bad. or lacquer it and flat it back with a fine paper or scotch pad.

4. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    The sealer/primer is a matt finish, I've improved it a little and I'll persevere with it. Bloody frustrating, at first I thought it might be fingerprints but the different pattern after the second spray coat and the depth rules that out.
    If push comes to shove I'll do what Jinx suggested :(

5. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    All's well

Just did a bit of research. It's the process of the grain filling, so, many coats and rub downs to follow and all should end well :D

If ever there were a case of a 'little knowledge being a dangerous thing'. That'd be me with 'little knowledge' :rolleyes:

6. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Hope you get it sorted mate,
    It does look awesome.:)

7. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I think so Jinx. I can be a bit thick sometimes. It's an age thing ;)

8. Jinx

Jinx Non member

I get weeks like that mate ;)

9. Bullseye basher

Bullseye basher Non member

Nothing to say that your thick at the end of the day your are entering a specialized field of refinishing work here and all will be great after a number of clear coats of lacquer give them plenty of drying time between coats before flatting back to the next coat, you didnt say what lacquer you are using as that can be the main problem sometimes, personally I would have gone to a car accessory shop and purchased the lacquer from there get one that is water based kinda like a two pack paint not the Cellulose one.JMO

10. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    water based is for the base coat , top coat is still a 2 pack acrylic , I have a pal who builds custom guitars and he refinished my s400 ginb stock for me,I was going to do it as I used to be in the motor trade, anyhow he used some kind polyester clear coat, he made a good job of it as it happens.

11. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Could you're mate do a blue / silver Paisley design on one of my fender telecasters ?
    And for how much ?

12. tugg

Club:
    springfield and mad
    he builds guitars from scratch ,Im not sure if he does fancy paint jobs ,http://www.macphersonguitars.com/
    I used to be a panel beater and also paint cars and motorbikes and a bit of airbrushing but don't have the time these days.#I recently painted a hw97 stock , I had all intentions of doing something wild but time restraints meant I had to keep it simple. heres a couple of bits I was doing,sorry to derail the thread

Attached Files:

13. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Nice work.

14. scruff

scruff Member

Club:
    purley chase
    original thread

going back to the original thread...have you tried waxing the wooden bits...this can give a nice finish and smells nice as well:)

15. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    I've been in touch with the supplier today for recommendations. The yanks dip the material in spar urethane. I'm not sure if this 'dipping' involves soaking so I've asked for more details.
    All's not lost, managed to plane the old finish off last night, so back to square one.

I'd thought about waxing, I'm sure though, that wax will soak in 'patchy' too. I have some scrap pieces to try different things with (which I wasn't patient enough to do in the first place :eek:)

16. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Sounds like all is not lost then :).

Cheers,
    Lofty