AirWolf: loud crack on firing

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by CameronWilson, Oct 18, 2011.

1. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Hi Guys,

My AirWolf is giving off a loud crack from the breech area when it is fired. It's accompanied by a small blast of air.

Is there a breech seal in there that needs replaced?

I noticed that there is a small O-ring on the pellet probe?

Anybody have any ideas?

Cheers,

Cam.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Pod

Pod New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    It is likely to be the probe O ring. They are BS003 for .177 and BS004 for .22.

If this doesn't sort it, then it could be a transfer port O ring but the breech needs removing to do this. If it has AT fitted then it will need to go to a dealer or back to the factory. Transfer port O rings are BS008.

3. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Nice one, thanks for that!

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Cam.

4. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Hi Pod,

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find an O-ring as small as BS003 locally, so I ordered (what I hope is) the right part from a vendor on eBay.

I'm hoping that it does the trick!

In case it doesn't, and I need to replace the transfer port seal, how can I tell if my AirWolf has anti-tamper fitted? I've noted that there are two triangular headed set-screws at the top-rear of the breech block. Is that the anti-tamper?

Many thanks again,

Cam.

5. Pod

Pod New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi Cam,

Yes that is the anti-tamper. To get the breech off, they have to come out (along with the bolts at the front of the breech and the slot head screws under the single shot tray/magazine).

If you are stuck for BS003 O rings let me know - I have a few kicking about.

6. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Bummer.

Well lets hope the pellet probe seal does the trick, and it's not the transfer port that's causing the problem.

I'll be mightily pissed-off if the rifle has to go back to Daystate to have a bloody O-ring replaced. Those 'anti-tamper' screws are a nice way to turn a 20p O-ring into a juicy little earner for Daystate/Main Dealer?

+ postage
    + the inconvenience

Cam.

7. peadar_911

peadar_911 Too old to die young.

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Cameron

It's unlikely to be the transfer port seal, if it is, it is highly likely that this will be replaced under warranty by Daystate. Still a bummer if the gun has to go back, though.

Peter

8. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

If it does have to go back for this ask them to take the AT off.;)

9. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    I'm pleased to report that replacing the pellet probe O-ring did the trick. It's nice and quiet now.

The Daystate Reflex silencer is certainly effective, but if you want the ultimate in quiet, and you don't mind the extra length involved, the Weihrauch silencer is unreal – it sounds like there's no air in the gun! I've also just ordered a Huggett full length shroud for the AirWolf, so I'll let you know how good it is when I get my mitts on it (2 weeks ish).

I didn't realise how worn the original O-ring was. The new one certainly feels as though it's being pressed into place as you're closing the bolt. Also, the bolt handle hardly moves on firing now, whereas before it used to jump quite a bit.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Cam.