AirnArms Shamal / TM100 Advice & Info. been shooting the breeze since the eighties ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by sjburgon, Nov 10, 2014.

1. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Ok I have read the various threads on here and on BBS suprisingly not too many for such an iconic rifle but this one I found seems to be the best.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread.php?332256-Air-Arms-Shamal

I reckon ive just bought a Shamal TM100 which is due to arrive on wednesday, Its in the original target stock and carries the shamal logo which I believe makes it an early TM.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OJwi3wHkfirMzYhCEg4lFUy47YIQ4GdrjHzr6-bGAH4t=w254-h190-p-no
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/OJwi3wHkfirMzYhCEg4lFUy47YIQ4GdrjHzr6-bGAH4t=w254-h190-p-no

I reckon its around 26 years old and have emailed air arms to see if they can date it. Im struggling to find a copy of the owners manual so if anyone has one or knows where to source a pdf version it would be really helpful.

The reason for the thread is I wanted to ask other forum members who may have or had experience with these guns a few questions.

1. Firstly I believe mine may have an Olympic trigger unit fitted but how do I tell the difference between this over the standard trigger (any pics of either a standard or olympic would be useful either in situe or removed)

2. I read that some of these had a simple reg fitted as standard and many were fettled with and retro fitted with a reg. how can i tell if this is the case without a major stripdown. does anyone have any pics of an unfettled set of internals for comparison

3. Im planning to use this as a retro FT combo and wanted to know what the scopes of choice would have been for FT back in the late eighties and any reccomendations which was best.

As always any help or advice would be much appreciated

Simon

2. Jezza

Jezza Member

Club:
    Millride FTC
    I used a Leupold 6.5-20 on my TM 100 from 88-94

Ian

3. Jezza

Jezza Member

Club:
    Millride FTC
    I believe the original Shamal had a straight trigger blade, and the later models with the Olympic trigger unit like the one on mine had a curved blade.

Ian

4. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Hi Simon,
    I have owned a Shamal and still own an NJR 100 so know a little bit. They didnt all have regs but I think the target versions usually did. They original regs were their downfall to be honest.

The Shamal was before the 100 series so not sure which yours is, but it will tell you on the breech. I dont think that there was a Shamal TM100, but there was a target version of the Shamal.

There should be Shamal drawings on the Air arms owners site in the technical section. I know the 100 series are there. The drawings were available until recently on Air Arms own site, not sure if they still are though.

The barrel fixing was much better on the later 100 series but other than that they are both nice guns. Try Airmasters for information, as even Air Arms are sending customers to him now from repairs from what I have heard.

Not sure what others will say about scopes but Tasco TR 6x24x40 were about then as early FT scopes, and probably the Leup 6.5x20 were just coming in as Nick Jenkinson was linked to both at the time. Not sure what years the Custom shop or early 8x32 Deben scopes came out.
    If it was me I would look for a glossy Bushnell , Burris or Leup if you want to really use it, but I have a couple of Tasco TR's which you can range find with and have a look through, but they are limited on the mag(nice glass though).

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    Tm 100 was part of the 100 series which came after the shamal the Olympic trigger was fitted as an extra and had a stainless steel straight blade same as njr you can tell 100 series guns by the silver finished muzzle weight and the dark push fit air cover for fill Danny at ponte had a shamal and I had a 100 series .if you bring it to club on Sunday I could tell you better if I see it if that helps

6. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Many Thanks

Hi Dean, Thanks for the info, I hadnt thought about looking on the Air Arms owners site I will take a look when im at work later...lol. I was thinking about a bushnell or a bausch & Lomb in gloss black but didnt know what to look for so all good advice.. thanks again Si

7. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I have just looked at the photo and its a Shamal, with the target version stock. The Shamal and 100 series make the latest guns look cheap as they were very well made.

Shaun, not all 100 series muzzle finishers are alloy, my NJR is all blued steel.;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  8. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Olympic trigger blocks are different in shape, you need to have the action out to check.

shamals were nice guns at the time, many ended up with Welham regs etc.

9. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Cheers for that

Hi Shaun, Cheers for the reply... I think I may take you up on that as any help identifying exactly what it is ive bought would be much appreciated.. lol...I will bring it with me next time im at the club... Cheers again Simon

im thinking its an early shamal target at the moment but time will tell...

10. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    You're right Dean the last rifles to be made were all blue steel but early ones were silver finish and just looked at photos and it's a shamal you've got and very nice it is to I remember Nick Jenkinson shooting one of them

11. JonathanN

JonathanN New Member

Hi, as far as I can remember no Shamal was fitted with a factory reg, the first AirArms regs were fitted to the 100 series and worked on an "air spring/gas ram" which was blamed for power variations with temperature shifts, the Olympic trigger also came out with the 100 series (at an extra cost) and is a true 2 stage trigger like the ones fitted to the RN10 onwards. if it has either of the above fitted its probably retro fitted.
    the stock options from AirArms was either a sporter style or target style (same stock that was fitted to the TM100).
    the 100 series reg can be retro fitted in a Shamal but you need to reduce the outside diameter of the reg body and change the seal configuration where the reg body screws together.

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Shamal

Rockdrill on the BBS is the man to ask . what he does not know is not worth knowing . Plus he has or at least had some spares . the olympic trigger unit is silver in colour the shamal unit is black . they look totally different . by the way the olympic trigger is a right pain to set up , if it is good leave it alone . the problems with the shamal were no reg and the forward barrel mounting . both gave zero shifts as the air was used . both of these things can be sorted by dave welham . if you are just gonna use the rifle as is , you need to find the sweet spot air wise . i think the fill pressure was 160 bar . but i put 180 in mine . got about 60 good shots . scope wise if you have the dosh then i would look for a good lupe MK4 . cheating a smidgen , but not much . the proper scope would be a lupe 6.5 to 20 . a tasco 4=16 TR . a tasco 6=24 TR . a lupe 14=35 . a lupe 18=40 . a 6=24 bausch and lomb balivar . the MK 4 is a sidewheel . lot easier . ??? HOLLY

13. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Cant thank you enough for the info on scopes.. I am gonna head to pickering guns at the weekend to look through his selection of oldie scopes....gonna see how it shoots then maybe send it to mr welham after xmas for a service..

14. Dale

Dale Active Member

Hi Simon,

What you have acquired is a Shamal Target model. The TM100 designation relates to a rifle variant from the series that subsequently replaced the Shamal.

Here is an early Shamal (no. 13) fitted into the target pattern stock:

[​IMG]

Here is a TM100:

[​IMG]

The Shamal target stock design was carried over to be used on the 100 Series guns as the TM variant.

The 100 Series comprised: SM100 - basic beech sporter stock version, XM100 - walnut sporter, TM100 - target stock version and NJR 100 - full FT stocked version.

Regarding the Olympic trigger, this came out with the 100 Series, but a fair few were retro-fitted to Shamal's. When you receive your rifle, take the stock off and photograph the trigger mechanism and add it to this thread, we can quickly tell you if it is the Olympic or standard unit.

Dale (rockdrill on BBS)

PS - anyone rember this centre page picture from the Airgun World Annual of 1988:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  15. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Thanks for the advice dale i will add a pic of the trigger when it arrives. I was still too obsessed with tiffany and kylie minouge in 1988 to get the airgun world album but strangely i think i would take the rifle over kylie these days...lol

16. Craig-P

Craig-P Member

Bottom picture is the AirMasters FTXS.
    There was a TM100 in of those stocks for sale on GunStar the other month, advertised as, 'looks like a homemade stock but decent wood, unsure of value so offers around £250'

...It had sold when I called :eek:o

17. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Some good info in this thread (I've learned summot :p).

Hopefully (as well as re-iterating some of what has already been said) I can add something new.

The Shamal preceded the 100 Series; what you have appears to be a Shamal with a target stock (as others have said).

One of the most significant differences between the Shamal and later 100 series is that the Shamal used a separate air cylinder that screws to the valve body at the rear of the action; while the 100 series uses a single-piece tube to house the striker assy and also act as a reservoir. Dale's photos show the join between the two components on the shamal (below / near the front of the breech block) and also the socket cap bolts that hold the valve gear in place in the 100 series (in a similar location).

The "Olympic" trigger was fitted as standard to the TM and NJR100, and was an option on the SM and XM100. To the best of my knowledge it wasn't around while the Shamal was in production; however apparently they can be retro-fitted.

From the pics I wouldn't like to speculate as to which trigger is fitted to yours; however below is a pic of an Olympic trigger for comparison. The Olympic has a straight ally blade, while the standard unit has a curved brass / plated blade.

[​IMG]

They really are fantastic, true-two-stage units; and not at all difficult to adjust IME (although it's worth pulling off the side plate to see how everything works before / during adjustment). Mine is currently set at 80g first stage and 160g 2nd stage weights; and is still perfectly smooth and predictable at this setting :)

AFAIK the Shamal didn't come from the factory with a reg; however this is probably a good thing as those fitted to the 100 Series were pretty nasty tbh; operating with a set pressure and volume of captive air (as opposed to a spring) to dictate the output pressure; these are a pain to setup and can fluctuate significantly with temperature. My NJR has a Welham reg, thankfully!

Hope you enjoy your new acquisition ;)

18. Jon

Jon Member

Shamals had thicker aluminium cylinder line, SM, TM and NJR one piece thin steel tube.

Both breach blocks seen aluminium and brass used. Sticker when original will show either Shamal, SM100, TM100 or NJR.

All stocks off a pattern made by Custom Stocks.

Regs and Olympic trigger were only standard on NJR.
    Reg is John Alcock design works great but susceptible to temp fluctuations, most had Mick Dawes retrofits.
    Trigger copy of the Gammo unit as used in ASI MC2000, BSA S10, MDS/Brocock and latest Anchutz to name a few.
    Olympic triggers were later available to buy and retrofit, the US bought most up 14 years ago at good money.

19. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    If getting a 18+40 lupe , beware of the EFR lupes . i know some shooters love em . but i hated mine . never ever gave the same range twice EVER . if it was me i would look for a 32 mag or 35 mag Lupe MK 4 . the 32 mag is clearer , not quite as good as a 35 mag BUT cheaper . you can see some for around the £500 mark . 18+40s £ 300 to £350 for a good one . remember that these scopes mostly have boosters and prem rets in . which lupe won't service . but if they have lasted this long . they should last a bit longer . if you want cheaper . the tasco 6+24 by 40 is a good scope . or with the TR ret , you can range on 24 mag quite well and of course bracket the kill with the power ring and TR ret . TR means twin line ret . you just zoom in and out , till the ret touches each side of the kill so to speak and read off the power to get the range . you would only need to do that on 47 , 50 , 52 and 55 to be sure . around £ 85 to £ 125 ish . ??? HOLLY

PS the origional scope on these as a lot of others was a Tasco 2+7 by 32

PSS they are a very easy rifle to service , so if you only want a service , you might try some of the local lads around you . you might nag jon harris into it .:D

PSSS the prices i quoted are for private sales . so a shop is gonna be more .:)

20. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

The NJR100 didn't have the Olympic trigger fitted as standard, as I discovered. to the cost of my parents:D

James