Air Strippers

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by Pecky, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Pecky

Pecky PECKY

Club:
    Kinver ARC, Furnace Mill
    Can anyone tell and or prove to me the advantage of using a air stripper !!.
    A few shooters at Furnace Mill had them on various rifles yesterday and apart from the noise do they make a noticeable difference ?
    Does it just stabilise turbulent air to make distance shooting more accurate ?
    Cant make my mind up at the moment but thinks for a few quid is it worth experimenting.:eek:o

PECKY

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    No more accurate just some are very good at reducing muzzle flip. reduced muzzle flip and weight of the stripper can lead to better accuracy though due to better followthrough

3. Pecky

Pecky PECKY

Club:
    Kinver ARC, Furnace Mill
    Conor

many thanks, Thinking of trying one of these on the Pulsar.
    Even removing my Hugget silencer yesterday altered my POI.

Pecky

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Things on and off barrels can alter POI, and whilst I concur that strippers can't make a rifle more accurate, they'll certainly make it inaccurate if they get close or do indeed clip the pellet. They can also lead to differing chrono results depending on how they handle or disperse pressure waves.

As per Conor's thoughts, I think they can reduce the amount of movement moments after the shop, which may allow you to see the pellet more often and may allow you to see the rifle's shot reaction better, or even less. Better follow through. The ideal is that it removes all muzzle blast entirely to the degree that the only movement you see is what you impart into the the gun. This is where I'm at with one of my rifles, but that uses a combination of air brake and mechanical stabiliser which not all rifles have.

If you've got a flippy rifle, they're worth a look, but be objective.

5. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    I think they are interesting to experiment with on a spare rifle, but I have also seen a muzzle brake that actually ruined the accuracy of the rifle, as the air travelling in front of the pellet was channeled away in such a way it could cause the barrel to move. This lead to V shaped groups at 25 yard as the barrel either stayed still of was pushed high right or high left.

When the openings on the end of the brake / barrel shroud were completely covered the rifle was consistently capable of pellet on pellet groupings.

They have an effect, whether it is always beneficial is another matter.

6. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I have used a good few of them , on Air rifles and centre fire rifles too, They do make a difference for sure . Only , that is if its set up right and not just chucked on. I saw on an HW100 once a stripper went on it and it changed everything , made the 40 and 45 yard aim points so so much closer. It also kept the power up at longer range . We checked the power and it made lots of difference . Defo worth a look if you ask me . Talk to Uk Neil and he will sort one for you for sure.

LAity

7. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

You cant improve the accuracy of an all ready accurate rifle with a stripper but I do feel they can have benefits in higher down range velocity and a flatter trajectory in some cases. When the pellet is coming up the barrel it has high pressure air pushing it, this will over take the pellet as soon as it exits the bore, a stripper is intended to divert this air away to prevent the possibility of it destabilising the pellet. A true flying pellet will maintain velocity better than a wobbling one increasing the bc and all the other benefits that brings although both could be accurate.

A test would be to zero the rifle at 25y then use this aimpoint on a 50y target and measure the drop between aimpoint and poi, then fit your stripper and rezero at 25 and do the test again. Small differences in drop may be attributed to barrel droop effectively changing the scope height so a better way to conduct the test for a definitive result would be to hang the stripper from the end of the barrel in one test and fit it in the other to ensure the barrel droop/scope height is constant. Unless of course you have a barrel band and droop is not an issue.

I have seen trajectories flatten out quite a lot with a stripper compared to a naked muzzle. All of my rifles now have made to measure strippers on them. I make the internal dia of the cone 5.0mm, some commercial ones are a little larger to allow for manufacturing tolerances, some I have seen measure over 7mm!!:eek: which are of little benefit as the air can still overtake the pellet in the cone! I have even seen a gun with a 7mm+ stripper fitted that clipped!!!:eek:

Setting the cone the same distance from the barrel as the calibre, eg 4.5mm on a .177 is a good starting point.

Neil Price has made me a few over the years including a slip on one very recently for my brothers S200 which have all been very well made with spot on concentricity allowing the use of small diameters for best effect.

Its your call in the end whether you use one or not, but I would recommend some testing to see if you can improve the pellet stability to get the benefits that can bring in your pellet/rifle combo.

8. Jon

Jon Member

How many made to date will 'actually' strip the air, none.
    People just jumping on bandwagon making and selling what they think is happening, big difference.

9. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

The one I have on my Airgun sends the air out at an angle which is away from the flight path of the pellets , Surely that's stripping the air ? They do work , I have seen guns without a stripper then a stripper put on and the difference is there . Have you tried one Jon ?

LAity

10. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Had a UK Niel brass one on my AA400, made it worse. Let my mate try it on his 400, worse. Sold it to a fellow club member (told him it made 2 x 400's worse) and guess what................it tightened up his group and he loved it :confused:

11. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    I fitted a rowan mpr one on my ftp, defo flattened the trajectory , whether due to weight, balance ,flip who knows, I agree with laity on seeing the air coming out at angles , that must be stripping air surely,
    anyway we all have different kit and especially methods of testing , whatever gives us confidence relieves the doubt,
    I gotta admit whilst paper punching at an indoor range the holes cut thro the paper at all ranges were perfect, a bit different to not having a stripper on , would this be better stability in flight?, I dunno , but surely all the people in the know (of which I am not one )who have tested downrange velocities can safely say that this will be an advantage as more energy is at the target , one splitter might win you a comp ,
    Still as said if it dont work for you move on and keep your confidence up with your kit

12. Jon

Jon Member

Sorry barking up the wrong tree believing whats thought to happen.
    All your seeing is air expansion nothing more nothing less.
    The very few that just so happen to work (pot luck) is nothing in the slightest to do with 'stripping the air', all will become evident sooner or later then everyone will be on the bandwagon and I am not giving the game away for others to copy. They can do their own extensive R&D over 23 years which also answers last question.

Bit of information the late Mick Dawes came up with the idea in 1983 called 'Stillair', credit where its due.

13. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

oooh ......cryptic!

14. Woody

Woody The Chaser!

Club:
    Bisley, Member of the Ostler Air stripper club of GB!
    Notice some of us are staying quiet! :D

15. hmangphilly

yep.

only 22yrs 6months behind jon in r&d .

don old knows a thing or two in this department too.

won't be long before that bandwagon starts rollin' jon, the wheels are creaking round right now.......

16. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Jon, I dont know what it is yet and I want one already. Stick me down on your list when you start selling them ;)

17. Chris58b

Chris58b Member

I'm curious now

18. thor-okami

thor-okami New Member

about three yrs ago there was a article in the mags that spanned 3 issues. the end result was that a air stripper on a sub 12 has no effect other than to act like a tuning weight ... however on a fac rifle where the amount of air used was much much higher per shot , the airstripper did do it,s job and stripped the excess air from behind the pellet resulting in better groups down range.... i,ll try and find the mags and see if i can put the article on here, if thats ok with admin

19. hmangphilly

It's much more involved than simply weight .

The difference in shot feel , between a well tuned muzzle device and simply a barrel weight , is like night and day , even on a rifle that may shoot perfectly acceptably with an un tuned device , a bare or weighted barrel.

one or two shooters on here have experienced this ....on sub 12ft lb rifles

delighted to enlighten you if you ever get over this way......proof of the pudding in the eating etc

20. gasman1

gasman1 New Member

I tried one on my hw100 and no matter how much I adjusted it, it was more accurate with the silencer. A shame because the stripper looked nicer.