Air stripper ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by sunbeam, Dec 21, 2012.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Hi,

I've just got myself an S400 MPR FT in .177. It is very nice but has a bit of a crack. The silver bit on the end looks like it does something, but seems not ??

Is it some sort of silencer ? If it is, it does not seem all that good?

Does it have some affect.

If I changed it to something like a Weihrauch silencer, would I lose accuracy or anything ?

These seem very nice

Air Stripper .177 Calibre. Natural Aluminium for MPR 14.0mm Barrel
    2/5ths the way down :D
    http://rowanengineering.com/products1.htm

What does an air stripper do over a silencer?

Thanks,

Rob.

2. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Hi Rob, I have had an MPR FT and the air stripper doesn't really do anything. If you take it off and look through it, there is no cone to strip the air. I am not saying it does not strip some air, but to be efficient there needs to be a cone. Adding a silencer will not alter power, but in some instances I have noticed a slight drop in POI. The Rowan one Is a cone type and will strip air more efficiently but will not silence it. NEIL.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

So the standard AA one I have is not doing much, thought so. As you say, its just a tube with slots. The air can still disrupt the pellet.

A silencer makes it quite, but could scatter the pellets (a little)

A stripper, will allow the pellet to leave the barrel more smoothly, but it has a crack.

Am I about right so far ?

Q1. Is the Rowan stripper the best on the market? Best being, works the best, fits the best and finished the best.
    Q2. Would a stripper be as loud as my gun is now with the standard AA 'stripper' on it?

Thanks.

4. Deadlydad

Deadlydad New Member

The bit on the end is not supposed to be a stripper, it's a muzzle brake !

I had an MPR and the muzzle brake being open at the top used to swallow a bit of water during our soft wet scottish downpours. This resulted in big puffs of water vapor exiting the barrel along with the pellet, doing accuracy no favours. When I tried covering the openings on the muzzle brake during wet weather my scores dropped. I experimented in the indoor range at NASGARC, shooting groups of pellets with the openings covered then without and not only did my zero shift, but groups with the openings covered were nowhere near as tight. The muzzle brake works !

As for strippers, I recently purchased one for Deadlyson's Air Arms S400 from UK Neil. I was dubious about the advantages of these, (undoubtedly great looking bits of kit) but after fitting the stripper to the wee fella's rifle it was putting pellets through the same hole, where as before it was shooting pinky nail sized groups. I would advise anyone out there thinking of purchasing one of these to contact UK Neil.

5. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    I don't think a silencer will affect accuracy, I have fitted one to many different rifles an the only thing I experienced Is a slight drop in POI on some of them.

The Rowan stripper is a good one IMO but as is said above, UK Neil makes the best I took my MPR down to him around 6 months ago and he made me one while I waited. Even got some of his blood on it.....

The stripper would more than likely make your rifle a bit louder, but more accurate, get one with an adjustable cone and experiment with the distance between end of barrel and the start of the cone......usually around 3-4mm. If you are target shooting I would recommend a good air stripper. Neil.

6. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Hi,

1. Who is UK Neil ?
    2. What does he do?
    3. what is his contact?
    4.Does he have a website?

Sorry, I'm new to this :)

7. john sears

john sears old but not so wise

Club:
    Castle FTC
    you find him on the forum

:) You find him on the forum under Uk Neil :)

8. g.l.w

g.l.w Wonky

9. sunbeam

sunbeam Member

Email now sent,

Many thanks

:)