Air-stripper spec's

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Greenwing, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Greenwing

Greenwing New Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Does anyone know anything about the science behind air-strippers?

I have an idea for designing one but I'm wondering what kind of gap there should be between the end of the barrel and the tip of the cone. I realise that it needs to be adjustable as every rifle may be set up a little different but I'm looking for a ball-park figure to start from. Will it be around 10mm, 20mm, 30mm,.....?
    I'm also wondering about the boresize of the cone. Obviously the smaller the better but to avoid any clipping issues what kind of allowance is normally added to the 4.5mm pellet.

(I know I could ask someone to make one for me but sometimes it can be a bit of fun to make your own stuff)

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers :)

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    It's all trial and error for different barrels, pellets, velocity etc proably ball park 10mm from barrel 5mm cone.

3. nyamazan

nyamazan New Member

How much difference do they make, are we talking mm's here?

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    1/2mm's at times!!!:eek:

5. Flannelmeister

Flannelmeister Member

I'm sure I have heard it said that a good starting point is about the length of the pellet you are using.

6. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Yep, that's generally where I'd start testing a stripper. I'd prefer a stripper to have enough adjustment to cover pellets such as Webley Mosquito Express and JSB Exacts then that bit more to cover a minimum of half a pellet length and at maximum of at least twice a pellet length.

7. peakecentral

peakecentral Scout & Proud

Club:
    Worcester Air Rifles
    If you have it, there was a good piece on air strippers in the Nov 2008 Airgun World magazine.

Martin

8. Greenwing

Greenwing New Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Cheers guys, that's very helpful.
    I know the difference to groupings can be minimal but I was reading a post somewhere that the length of the shroud on early Mk4s can cause a bit of "turbulance" as the expanding air is contained within the shroud for so long. I don't know if that's actually true or not but shortening the Mk4 shroud seems to be a popular modification, maybe it's purely for handling reasons.
    I know I could get my shroud shortened like a lot of others but I was wondering if I can build an air-stripper into the rifles existing shroud - just to be different :). I think it'd look pretty good being built in rather than an obvious bolt-on. If it doesn't work I can always just fit a short shroud and there'd be no harm done.

Thanks again

9. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

UK Neil made this for me a while back, don't use it as was an experiment for my benchrest RT and it shoots best with no shroud or anything else.

The shroud is fully free floating being slightly less diameter than the original and attaches to the barrel at the rear where the slightly thicker piece can be seen. Air cone section also thin enough to free float in Daystate figure of 8 the reason the rest is so thin is it originally was made with a balance weight for harmonics which I have removed as I realised my design was flawed.

Looks great when fitted. Might put it on a HFT setup.

Andy

Attached Files:

10. Greenwing

Greenwing New Member

Club:
    Dunfermline
    Thanks for that, I managed to get hold of an old copy

11. rich

rich Active Member

The job of a stripper is to separate the escaping air from the pellet. Imagine the conditions at the instant the back end of the pellet leaves the muzzle. This is when the air starts to try to rush past the pellet that has blocked its path all the way along the barrel. If there is a gap in front of the pellet before the head end enters the stripper cone, what is to stop the air rushing round the pellet and getting there first? When the head of the pellet enters the cone (which has a clearance bore but is still quite tight to the pellet diameter) the only convenient path for the air is to expand radially and flow around the outside of the cone and out through the vents or ports.

So I think that the gap can easily be too large for efficiency, just as it can be too small.

12. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    wot gun you shooting matey top flight guns dont require them a break can stop the kick but the stripper can make no difference matey,try a ajustable one and keep adjusting doing groups at 55 yards on paper matey,ive been down this route matey with a steyr 110 and a break works better stops the kick so u can watch the pellet strike the the target:)