Air shot

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by robsue20, Jul 29, 2012.

1. robsue20

robsue20 Member

Someone is in a lane, they have taken thier first shot, plate.Second shot, scope to eye,aim,pull trigger,BANG. They have only forgot too load a pellet!!
    Question, what would be the mark on the card??

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    Detention school boy

DINK, 0. Also annotated beside it SBE...,school boy error:D

3. strangefroot

strangefroot Member

I'd mark a miss, as they may have loaded, and just shot into nowhere, and by saying they had not loaded they get a second shot at what they really missed ??

4. DeanB

DeanB Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    An interesting one is loading two pellets and one or both knock over the target!
    Dean

5. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I would give a 0 you break the trigger sears you have fired a shot.
    But then i am a bastard:)

6. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

I thought it was if the gun discharged air it is counted as your shot? so if on some rifles, like the Steyr, if the breech is not closed the gun wont fire, it only goes click, that does not count as your shot, or am i wrong?

7. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    If gun discharges, it's a shot, simple. Pellet or no pellet so theres no issue.

8. Conor

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    That's the thing Matt, how do you prove it if wasn't loaded, could have missed plate in tough wind or had a bad snatch and missed target, chancers would take a 2nd attempt!

9. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    all depends on the conditions. who is it and are they beating me lol sounds tough. if it was a C grader i'd allow them to take it again. someone AA grade should know better. however, if its a big shoot GP, Euro's ect ask the marshall

10. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    If it was simon evans or gilly, i would put a big fat zero down, any one else i would let them take the shot again, u can tell by the sound of the shot, if a pellet was in the breach or not :D

11. rich

rich Active Member

Does his first name begin with a D? I heard a comment after the shoot had finished.

12. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    safety on?

Just a quick Q. If I set the safety on (e.g. a Walther with the breech slightly open, pellet loaded it can click but never fire but then needs a reset to discharge) but forget to fully close the breech before a shot e.g. standers, kneelers where there is more of a need - does the non-shot count or are we talking only about a discharge without a pellet loaded (or loaded but a big miss). Other rifles have different sorts of "safety" of course and as we all know the safety mech is never to be fully trusted. In other words - breech open, gun is safe so lost time is the real issue.

By the bye I have seen an HFT shoot where the pellet hit the firing line and stuck there - IMHO the shot should count but the shooter be penalised for being behind the line but then that's HFT ... cue flames!

Thanks
    Neil

13. raygun

raygun Non member

Should the shooter have been in front of the firing line ?

ATB
    Ray.

14. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I don't think so but the pegs are placed behind the line and I think people tend to be concentrated on the peg+target while the line is more about not going in front of it i.e. walking or standing over the line. (FT the front of gun must be over and trigger behind the line in the gate, so quite different in some respects)

Cheers
    Neil

15. raygun

raygun Non member

I don't understand why you say the HFT shooter should be penalised for being behind the line.

ATB
    Ray.

16. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    I didn't say that?? The firing line is quite different in HFT (and can get in the way e.g. kneelers), the point was it is possible (not common) to fire a pellet in to the line so that the pellet "didn't cross the firing line" and in some shoots the shot can be taken again. Semantics but the original thread was about when is a shot "taken" or not.

Neil

17. raygun

raygun Non member

" the shooter be penalised for being behind the line but then that's HFT ... cue flames!"

I've never been to a HFT shoot where the firing line was obstructing the shooter taking kneelers or standers:D

Going back to the OP the UKAHFT Rule is:

"Regardless of any circumstances such as forgetting to load a pellet, not shutting the loading bolt or if the trigger is pulled before you are locked on target, if the gun goes off the shot is considered as having been taken & will be scored accordingly. If this does happen, the competitor should make sure the pellet has left the gun by dry firing safely into the ground over the firing line with the consent of their shooting partners."

ATB
    Ray.

18. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Ahh gotcha. Yeah - I was confusing FT and HFT and thought behind the line is penalised for FT. So, we are only discussing UKAHFT? The discipline wasn't mentioned at the start of the thread and this is 'Hunter / Field / Paper Target Chat" :)

I only do FT these days after major surgery makes anything prone a bit of a nightmare, so only do local club HFT kneeling and standing.

ATB
    Neil

19. merc350

merc350 Just wants to shoot...

Club:
    Emley FTC
    The gun going off is air being discharged. Am i correct. My hw100 can be shot with the magazine in its 'out' position yet no air has been released. Therefore is that classed as a shot or not?

20. raygun

raygun Non member

I think that UKAHFT Admin would have to confirm.

I would think that air has to be discharged for the rifle to be deemed to have "Gone off". If air hasn't been discharged then there's no chance of the pellet (or no pellet :D) leaving the barrel. So no danger of a "miss".

ATB
    Ray.