Air gun Air Filling

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by SHOOTER, Aug 1, 2010.

1. SHOOTER

SHOOTER New Member

What Equipment do you use to fill your PCP with air?? How many charges can you get from an 80 cuft scuba tank (before it needs refilling) for a Rapid MFR, the small bottle. Where is the best place to buy the charging equipment for the process? I'm in the USA.

2. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    80 cubic feet?? By my calcs that is 2265 litres!

I can't help you with where to buy, but you need a dive tank with gauge, and a hose with the relevant adaptor(s) for your gun. If you take the cylinder off the gun to fill then you can often get an adaptor that screws into the dive tank and you screw the bottle directly to that. I've no experience with Theoben PCPs so can't advise further.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  3. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    If you post the actual volume of the scuba tank (I don't believe it's 80 cuft!) and its max fill pressure, and the volume of the MFR bottle and its max and min pressure I'll calculate the number of refills you can get.

4. SHOOTER

SHOOTER New Member

Air Airgun Air Filling

80 cubic Feet IS correct for the size tank. It is a standard dive tank (aluminium ). It actually holds 77 cubic feet of air at 3000 lbs pressure.

5. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

hi mate - that tank is enormous compared with the ones we use - usually up to 12 litre and 300 bar

I normally get 60 fills out of my tank when filling my pcp's, so you should get several hundred fills

6. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Ah the penny drops! You mean it holds 80 cubic feet worth of air at atmospheric pressure, in other words if you let all the air out into a big balloon it would be 80 cu.ft in volume, yes? Over here we talk about the internal volume of the tank, whether it be holding compressed air, or custard, it's still a 3, 7, 10 or 12 litre tank. :)

3000psi is about 214 bar, so when compressed, 80 cuft of air will take up about 0.37 cu.ft which is approx 10 litres.

You'll get a lot more sensible answers on a UK based site if you talk about a 10 litre tank. ;)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  7. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but if your scuba tank has a volume of 10l, fills to 232 bar (3200psi) and if your MFR has a 280cc bottle and you fill up to 190 bar, and refill when it drops to 90 bar then you will get 14 full charges.

Doesn't sound like a lot but you should get a lot more shots from a buddy bottle rifle, compared with a standard PCP. Don't forget you can also wait a while to get your tank recharged, filling it to say only 170 bar for a while will give you quite a few more fills at the expense of fewer shots per fill.

I have a 12l 232 bar tank and I generally only fill it when it drops down to 170 bar.

8. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Shooter have you tried logging on to the AAFTA website they had all relevant info on what to buy where from and where all of the us airgun clubs are ATB steve PS the quantity of air you stated was probably about right owimg to the fact that their is probably 15 litres compressed to approx 4200psi

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  9. clubshot

clubshot Member