Air escaping from breech of LG110

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by NoMarkLeft, Oct 11, 2015.

1. NoMarkLeft

NoMarkLeft I can spell virgin now

After some strange results with pellets going high and low when they shouldn't. I went through the usual cleaning barrel ,check pellets , Chrono showed down a little on output with a handful of high and low fps between some of the 40 shot string. Turned the output up slightly ,seemed quite settled over the chrono now. Zeroed yesterday and seemed to be shooting okay then tried the tissue paper test on the breech that someone suggested and it definitely has air escaping .
    Could this be the issue all along ?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mark.

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Where is the leak

On top of the piece that travels forwards to close the breech is a small black sear, that looses air when activating the stabaliser . If the air is coming from the under side of that piece you need a thin washer under the transfer port, you can buy them or make one from film negative.
    Loosing air from the port will give inconsistency , you might benefit from a new seal on the top of the port also.

3. NoMarkLeft

Okay, so the air escaping from the piece that travels forward closing the breech is normal ?
    I placed some small tissue pieces either side of this at the bottom and air is coming from the transfer port area.
    Can you remove the 0 ring and just replace this or do I need the complete transfer port with 0 ring ?

4. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Yes

Yes you can just remove the o ring , I've changed mine.
    There may be a number of reasons you are loosing air there, thin washer , faulty o ring or maybe your barrel needs to go forwards a smidge.
    The bottom is tapered so if the barrel goes forward you will reduce the gap between the two.

5. NoMarkLeft

Thanks for your help and advice .
    If I needed to replace the 0 rings , where would I be able to source them from?
    I have seen them advertised on the Bay, though these are not original ones.

Thanks
    Mark.

6. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Flip it

The o rings bought individually on the bay are fine, you may be able to just flip it over.
    I would try the washer first then the o ring and then the barrel. If you move the barrel make sure you have some forward travel in the trigger block.

7. Sundance

Sundance Member

side grub screw

Just to butt in...I don't want to teach Granny to suck eggs and forgive me if I'm assuming you might not know but if you have been altering the the velocity via the rear adjuster then don't forget that before you move this you need to loosen off the grub screw at the side of the action and tighten again when you are happy with the fps..

otherwise you might find another source of output variation...

8. NoMarkLeft

Thanks mate , I did know this. Though appreciate your input:):cool:

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Don't forget there's an oring inside that sliding 'bolt' that seals against the end of the barrel

10. NoMarkLeft

Clocked that, How the heck do you remove that one?

11. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Not quite a full phil

Needle or hooky pick .
    It's a whacky size . Give us a shout if you struggle

12. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Mark, some good answers there from some knowledgeable chaps.:)

To replace the transfer port and breech seal is a doddle. A strong needle will suffice.

transfer port is - item 12 O-ring 6x2 Steyr part no 3301020026
    breech seal is - item 53 O-ring 5.28x1.78 Steyr part no 6390050

As has been said, air from the top of the breech where the stabiliser 'flipper' is normal but air blowing at the bottom of the breech is not so good. You'll be using too much air per shot, winding up the hammer spring to get the power to a normal level and that upsets the whole balance of the rifle. Reg pressure vs firing valve spring tension vs Hammer spring tension are important for that dead feel and IMHO also makes for tighter long range grouping.....no real science behind it, just what i've observed over the years.:eek:

If you replace both o rings and make sure you have a positive 'lock' when closing the cocking lever (which might need the barrel to be moved to achieve) and you're still loosing air under the breech then you might need a very thin shim under the transfer port, although finding a shim fitted is actually quite rare. Getting a positive lock on the cocking lever can sometimes be tricky as if it's it's too tight then the lever can suffer excess wear and premature failure where it starts to grab.

13. NoMarkLeft

Many thanks to all the advice given.
    I flipped over the transfer port 0 ring and there was still a bit of air escaping from one side??
    So replaced with a new 0 ring and all seems good !
    Will run over the Chrono later to check the fps and adjust if required. One more question though what sort of fps
    is the Steyr happy running 8.4 pellets at?
    Once again I am very grateful for the help from you folks
    Cheers
    Mark:):):):):):):):):):):)

14. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Mark, Both my Steyrs shoot sweet at 775-780 fps. I've tried running them as close to the limit as possible but it's just not worth the risk of tripping over if the temp goes up and it makes sod all difference with the extra 20fps anyway.:)

Gald you got sorted.