air arms pro target - Help needed sticky trigger

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by john0neuk, Nov 4, 2014.

1. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Guys,

My lovely pro target has started to have a problem. Occasionally when I try and cock it it does not set. I have to move the trigger and re cock - before I dive into explore the trigger mech is it something anyone else has had, hoping it is just a sticky trigger or sear with either too much or too little lube in the mech.
    After a wiggle it sets and fires as beautifully as ever but would like to get it back on top line.
    Any advice or pointers gratefully received

Kr

2. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

Sounds like either top sear is wearing or hammer is wound in too far

3. daveuk

daveuk New Member

Club:
    Liege
    You may have to join, but there is a very good stripdown of the RN10/Pro-Target by Kev Todd in the technical reference library of the Air Arms Owners Club. Great picture of the trigger assembly with the cover off. Looks straightforward enough. Let us know how you get on.
    Dave

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Trigger

Hello John , the Air arms are prone to rust . the water gets in through the trgger plate . take the plate off and have a look . if in doubt give it a good squirt with WD40 . ( somebody will be on to say NO shortly i expect ) young rich on here is a dab hand with the air arms range . you could pop along to his club and get some advice ??? HOLLY:)

PS should have kept the anschutz :eek:

5. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Thanks for the input guys - this is Steve Pages old world championship gum - and want to keep it on tip top condition!

I can see a strip down coming on but need to shoot a few more cards over the next week or so before I take it out of action as I'm falling behind on my postal bench rest stuff!

Kr

6. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    cheers am a member so will did it out!

7. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Cheers Holly,

Loved the Anschutz but had to release some funds to get my boy his 21st birthday present - his HFT set up! To be honest it was nice but couldn't get on with it as well as some of my others.

Hope you and your young lady are well?

Talking to Rich as he wants a look at my Steyr Hunter 5, so think a trip up't north to Shebear is on the cards!

Kr

8. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Cheers Dave, will dig it out as am a member on there. Always like to do my homework before diving in etc!

9. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I have heard of a few PT's having sear trouble occasionally and giving the symptoms that you describe.
    Often a replacement sear will sort it out if you can see any wear. Although I think like Holly says, I would take the plate off and have a peek inside, it could be just a bit too dry in there or something sticking a bit. My sliding breach was sticking on mine at the weekend and it was ok after I greased the o ring that seals on the barrel.

We try and keep them dry to stop grit being attracted, but then they can be too dry as well.:(

Kev Todds article on the AAOC forum is very clear as has been mentioned. Kev is a friend of mine and is still into his Pro Targets if you need to contact him for help.

Barry Taylor also is another expert on PT's.

10. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Cheers dean

I hope I can get it sorted, as fairly handy with rifles etc. Just wanted to check what to look out for before diving in. I will have a look at Kevs post on AAOC. Thanks also for the offer to hook me up with him if required, much appreciated!

Must admit have been considering getting a full service done by Barry but don't have his details - this gun is a keeper and do not mind lavishing some TLC on it!

11. Dale

Dale Active Member

Before going for anything too expensive, check the over travel setting screw.

If wound in to give almost no over travel following the release, it can interfere with the sear re-setting which then requires a flick on the trigger blade so you can cock the rifle. This can be an intermittent fault.

Perhaps wind that screw out a touch so the trigger blade has a bit of movement after the shot and see if it helps.

12. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Cheers Dale,

A trigger flick definitely sorts it out, and I have a very short after travel so will give it a tweek to see if it sorts it before major surgery.

kr

13. john0neuk

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Guys

thanks for all the input, Dale and Holly, took your advice a quick spray and wipe down with wd40 and backed off the "over travel" screw to give it a touch more and all seems to be well with PT now. Will give it a good run over weekend and see that it is finally sorted.

Thanks again all!

14. rich

rich Active Member

Had something similar with my EV2 mark 1 which has essentially the same trigger bits; a quick solution to when it played up - which would always be part way through a competition - was to hold the rifle with the muzzle skyward when cocking.