Air Arms field .177 batch 18--- not good!

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by matt goodson, Apr 30, 2014.

1. matt goodson

matt goodson New Member

Three times now I've ordered some air arms field pellets via t'internet, from different places and they always send batch 18!

None of my rifles like them, has anyone else noticed the 18 are a pants?

I've now got several tins of these damn things and am down to my last of 21 :(

matt

2. plattitude

plattitude Active Member

Club:
    Anston
    Yes they are very poor quality, I got so peed with the state of the skirts that I made a little die to bring them back into shape, must say it works very well:), but I should'nt have to do this. I am going back to JSB for my next sleeve to see if they are any better,and yes, I know they are made in the same factory but these AA 18s are pants.

I have no axe to grind with AA as my 3 rifles are all theirs but come on AA get your finger out on quality control

Paul

3. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    It's not just the AA variants of jsb. I had a tin of Daystate sovereign and they were crappy to! Probably only a 100 tops out the tin that were upto scratch at best. The rest just "plinking" pellets with damaged skirts, etc.

4. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Had same, went back to Exacts, should never have moved in the first place.

5. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Its a funny one really. You are correct in saying that all the pellets should be right, straight from tin. But in my ev2 I use FX pellets I don't get a good pellet out of the tin. They are all oxidised and 250 from the 500 will be dented. But wih that they group mega. (They are that bad to the eye when I have shot other peoples guns in the past they won't let me use the FX in it)

6. skires

skires Well-Known Member

Batch 18 4.52 from AA has just totally fried my brain over the last month or so.

Total garbage.

I posted a thread about this on BBS.

21's were pretty good.

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I use Fx Jack, I cleaned Neath gun shop out of all they had when I saw you using them a while back. They were cheaper than the Jsb /AA he had too!
    They are just JSB in another tin, same as AA. Find the batch that works for your barrel and away you go.

8. skires

skires Well-Known Member

I know we always say that you find the right batch for your barrel etc and that's true.

However I believe there will be batches that are just poor and maybe won't do well in any barrel.

The 18's I have had a lot of bent and poor looking tails. AA say that that doesn't matter ... they will straighten when seated and fired etc.

I was getting really poor groups with these 18s. So I inspected them and removed all the dodgy looking tails and it improved things. I even thought we were back to normal with a few decent groups. Then the groups were just not great. Inch groups at 35y. 3 or 4 decent ones and then flyers again. I inspected the pellets as I loaded them and they looked ok ( this would be second visual ) and they felt ok going into the barrel. Groups still not great and I just thought I must be having a really bad day.

Before I went home I tried what was left of some old tins ( 21 ) and the groups tightened right up back to normal.

So I don't know whether it's just that batch 18 that don't suit my barrel or whether 18's are just sh1te.

9. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Batch 18

I'm currently using batch 18 and once i've chucked the bent ones out they are fine.
    David

10. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Worth checking the tail and nose diameter compared to the older pellets,see if there has been any change.
    I still use an old batch (3yrs older) of RWS Superfields.The new batch do not shoot anywhere as good as the old ones,mainly due to the pellets(new) having change, being smaller on the tail dia and larger on the nose dia.
    Possibly the air arms have a variation as well on that die 18.
    HERX77 .