Air Arms, anti tamper word of warning

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by spartan, Dec 4, 2018.

1. spartan

spartan Member

I had a s400 come in to repair a leak today, upon removing the action from the stock and then filling the action up to find out where the leak was coming from, i was greeted with a right smack in the leg, due to the anti tamper cover in the pressure gauge union blowing out, obviously due to the o ring leaking and building pressure up behind the anti tamper disc, the action could have just as easily been pointing upwards and took my eye out, might i suggest to air arms drilling a tiny hole in the disc or a groove in the rim to stop pressure build up, or better still just not fit it!!!, so anyway be careful if tackling that job.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Ste Hughes, cloverleaf, Waldo and 5 others like this.
  2. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    Interesting post spartan and a good point raised. There is as you say an o-ring that seals the thread on the screw below the anti tamper plug/ disc.
    John

3. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    Why they put the pressure gauge on that damn cranked block with 3 joint faces to seal defeats me, a simple dowty washer between the block and the gauge would have sufficed. Presumably an unwillingness to change the block design that much when the gauge was added to the 400 series.

Why not make a claim against them Shaun, and ask for their risk assessment for the hazards associated with the A\T plug ? Bet they hadn't considered that issue!! :rolleyes::D

nurek likes this.
  4. spartan

spartan Member

Now there's an idea!! , As you say a simple dowty washer would be much better and safer. i personally can't understand why they even fit the cap on the pressure union anyway, especially on something that is prone to leaking, and it's not as if the power can be altered from that in anyway, totally pointless.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Waldo and top gun phil like this.
  5. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Lol, it’s to stop you getting access to the screw under the cranked block.
    When I had to service mine, I ran a round file up the front of the block when it was off, so I can access the important screw without removing the block!

6. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    Great idea, litigate against one of the few remaining UK companies that supports our minority sport. Bring it on...

Darron likes this.
  7. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    .....so you actually sanction their approach to design that Shaun's experience has proven that a hazard exists?

I work in product compliance: knowing this hazard exists, any reasonable company would take action.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  8. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    Perhaps just try talking with them prior to “making a claim against them”, one imagines that even in the elevated halls of product compliance people speak with each other prior to serving claims... normal, reasonable behavior.

terryn likes this.
  9. Rotherham Owl

Rotherham Owl Air Arms Poster Boy

Club:
    The Anston Massive
    I would say that they are a responsible company so trust that now they aware of the issue they will be looking into it.

terryn, hmangphilly and Sake-San like this.
  10. JerryD

JerryD Active Member

Club:
    Hereward FT&ARC
    We can hope: Shaun's suggestions are eminently sensible. Unfortunately, a history of litigation cases shows that companies are prepared to leave risks unaddressed if it saves money: 2nd ops on a component cost money.

11. spartan

spartan Member

I'm not going to make a claim against anyone, there's enough sueing culture in this country without causing more problems, i'm just pointing out a potential hazard that's probably been overlooked and may have never happened to anyone before, or ever will again, Let's hope Air Arms do something about it to prevent this happening, it's a very easy fix to prevent, just dont fit the disc, simples.

12. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Potential hazards or not, Air Arms would probably recommend that if there is a problem with one of there air rifles you send it back to them to sort out and not give it to a shed guru?? Me personally I would never send my gun back to Air Arms, And only let Number 1 shed guru murph sort it, if he has the time that is:)

cloverleaf and RAMBO like this.
  13. retroruss

retroruss New Member

Club:
    Redferns / Doncaster Air Range
    if that was the case why would air arms post diy videos on youtube showing how to check for leaks on there rifles ?

14. Evo

Evo Scouser by Birth mfta shooter by choice

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    exactly,,,, To check for leaks, do they show you if you find the leak how to strip the gun to millions of pieces NOPE, reason they show you for leaks is so if something is wrong SEND IT BACK,,,,,,, make a claim against them ????? no wonder this country is in a state, claim claim claim, that would be the last thing on anyone,s mind, ringing them would be a normal persons response, FIDDLE AT YOUR OWN PERIL

15. scruff

scruff Active Member

Club:
    purley chase
    me being on the thick side....is it not called anti tamper for a reason...
    got me hat and coat....ready to duck.

16. Bezzer

Bezzer Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    You obviously haven't read the original post, taking the action out of the stock and filling with air to see where it's leaking is when the disc shot out ,it's not stripping it into a million pieces or even messing with the anti tamper discs.

retroruss and banditrob12 like this.
  17. simmmo

simmmo Active Member

I think if Shaun is going out of his way to point out a possible safety hazard I would be reading with thanks. Especially as he actually does know more about air rifles than most people.

Monkey.

C.Eaton, cloverleaf, Waldo and 3 others like this.
  18. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I'm with you Monkey :)

Air Armed likes this.
  19. mpr

mpr Member

Club:
    quarry hunters
    Think to many people like to fiddle with their guns to day.
    And when they muck it up they give some cock and bull story(it started to leak)
    Not to mention they had a go at it with a drill.hammer and bad intfo
    No wonder aa now ask their own repairs to call about work first

20. spartan

spartan Member

I think some of you are misinterpreting what i'm actually talking about, i'm not on about fiddling with anti tampers or servicing the guns yourself, or taking them to AA or gurus or attacking them with drills etc etc, this issue isnt anything to do with any of that, I repeat, i removed the action from the stock, which anyone would do to clean the action or dry it off,, the action was empty at the time, i then filled the action up, while it was out the stock, upon the pressure gauge anti tamper blew out, now i know my way around pcps more than most and it caught me out, as i said it may of never happened before or will again, but i'm just trying to make folks aware that it could happen especially if you suspect the gun is leaking around the gauge housing, I think i will keep my advice to myself from now on, it's not worth the trouble.

JerryD, banditrob12, Dale and 4 others like this.