Advice regarding front rest needed.

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Mark S, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Mark S

Mark S New Member

I'm just getting into BR a little more seriously and need some ideas regarding a front rest. I was looking at the Rock BR from Caldwell as a few folk use these at my club. Can anyone suggest other brands around the same price or are these pretty much the best you'll get at the price point before you start hitting the high £££?

Thanks.

2. jalfa

jalfa New Member

cicognani rcx, SEB Mini or SEB Neo all with joysticks for serious BR, but they are expensive compared to Caldwell

3. thebaron

thebaron Member

Club:
    Leics & District (Dowry Hill)
    Cicognani make a very nice rest which is similar to the Caldwell Rock but much better engineered.
    Windage, adjustable jaw width and coarse/medium/fine height adjustment plus 2 speed screw are available. Price is more than twice that of the Caldwell, but you get what you pay for.
    6 or 7 of us use this rest at our club. Navigation round the target is fast and unlike some of the joystick rests, it can cover all 25 diagrams on the UKBR22 target plus sighters at 25yd/metres without having to move the rear bag.
    Sinclair rests are also worth looking at. I used to have a lightweight Sinclair that was well made but lacked windage adjustment
    The Caldwell does the job though and is value for money.

4. Mark S

Mark S New Member

Yeah I've seen the price tags of the Cigs, Sebs et all. I'm guessing the Rock BR will have to do for now?

5. perlin

perlin New Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell , Darlinton R.A, Pontefract
    Have a look at the Optics Warehouse website, they have a Smart Reloader SR300 for around £60 or take a look at their Protektor range.
    John

6. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

hi take a look at Benchrest UK we hold 12 - 14 comps all round the uk and on the webpage there is info on Benchrest equipment
    Benchrest UK – Promote, encourage, facilitate and develop the sport of air rifle and rimfire benchrest shooting both within the UK and worldwide

Mark S likes this.
  7. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    For CTSA Benchrest a Caldwell Rock Jr with a replacement top to fit the rules is all you will ever need.

So depends which of the many Benchrest rules your club shoots.

8. Mark S

Mark S New Member

thanks I bought one of these from them via Ebay for £49 posted the other week.

9. Mark S

Mark S New Member

10. Mark S

Mark S New Member

Hi Geoff, just to clear any misunderstandings - I do not shoot competitions, I shoot for fun but still would like the correct kit just incase :D

11. jalfa

jalfa New Member

I currently have a cicognani ergal rest, no joystick. I am looking for one with. It will be Cic rcx or the Seb Mini both about the same price. The baron seems happy with the rcx, anyone tried the Seb mini?

Thirteen likes this.
  12. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Hello Mark
    It does sort of depend what style of benchrest you intend to shoot or enjoy shooting. As there are at least 2 quite different styles;
    1. NSRA style which uses no rear bag, the rifle butt goes in your shoulder. This style uses a very basic front rest.
    2. WRABF style (the type you see on the US websites). This style uses a different / fancier front rest and a rear bag. This style also has different classes for gun weight etc.

I personally prefer the NSRA style but it's horses for courses

Paul

13. Thirteen

Thirteen Member

Club:
    M.U.A.R.C
    Hi mate, I've used Seb mini and standard, there's nothing better on the market in my opinion, not the cheapest but you buy once and that's it

jalfa likes this.
  14. jalfa

jalfa New Member

Good to hear that, what about the elevation, can it cover all 25 diagrams + sighters without having to adjust the rear bag?

Thirteen likes this.
  15. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I started with Caldwell and then when the bug took hold ! I progressed to one of the Cigs ,tried one with the joystick, which is quick to move back onto the sighters should you have ,but as John says you have to resort to moving the rear bag to cover the whole UKBR22 card and this is not good for consistency/repeatability
    Certainly serious money.
    I'm currently using a Cicognani MB no joystick, just vertical and horizontal knobs , when set up in the middle of the 25spot card it covers everything easily at 25m, not as quick as a joystick but no bag squeezing.

I've recently shot an outdoor 25m comp that had a time limit of 20mins ,quite windy but had time left and that was trying ! to read conditions ,so the MB for me is spot on .

If you set up right ,everything level ! you only have to use the horizontal tracking to track across the card and then use the vertical to drop onto the next line of targets .
    I set up on target 13 and 14 and make sure everything is level with no binding on the rear bag .

As inferred earlier you pays yer money and takes yer pick, but speaking from my experience the Cig rests are superb and do save you points !
    AND points mean prizes :D

Regards, Gordon .

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  16. jalfa

jalfa New Member

and then there is this...

17. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    1530 USD , I know what I want for Christmas :D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  18. Thirteen

Thirteen Member

Club:
    M.U.A.R.C
    I shot full bore with it but it has a true 4 M.O.A of elevation on the joystick alone, a .22 needs a lot less elevation tracking but I dont know hoe much elevation is in a diagram , but if you are moving your rear bag then you've got the wrong rest buddy, get a joystick rest and your sorted

19. Kevin Fishenden

Kevin Fishenden Benchrest Trainee

Club:
    Buxted Rifle Club
    I started Using Just Cheap Bean Bags, Did OK considering
    Moved to using an old Hoppe Rest which is alright & have recently just started trying out a Bargain Basement Lab Jack with a little rear bag on top, This actually worked quite well.
    it is OK for elevation but of course no good for windage.
    I have just covered the top in Non-Slip Grip tape and am going to try to see if the tape will stick to bottom of the bag.
    No it is not perfect and has a slight bit of movement (But that's the same as me!!)
    But I seemed to get on using this fairly well, Going to take it along with the Hoppe to Glevum later this month and see how it goes
    Some of the "Flatter" Front rests do not seem to be as good for me- Or should I say do not all suit my rifle as it is a Standard Sporter stock and of course not a flat profile so you can find a little lateral rocking with it (As Graham also pointed out), so other than getting a new stock or fitting a flat plate to the front of my stock it tends to push me towards the bags/standard front rests with slightly dished profile.
    I do have on my wishlist the Bald Eagle Front rest when I can afford it & the good lady approves my purchase!!!
    All the Best
    Kev :)

Thirteen likes this.
  20. Thirteen

Thirteen Member

Club:
    M.U.A.R.C
    Hi Kev, hope it works out for you ok bud, try kiln dried sand, most rifles track well over it, and of course make sure your forend is polished and no studs etc,