Advice on the Hawke Sidewinder tac 30 4.5-14 x 42

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by CharlieFarlie, Jan 5, 2012.

1. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Member of Worcester Air Rifles and Glenrothes Target shooting club.
    Guys I have checked out in the flesh theHawke Sidewinder tac 30 4.5-14 x 42. But before buying I'm checking here that this is a good scope with the correct Mag range and correct objective lens size.
    I have an SR6 but am finding the scope to be a little dark.. I have read reviews on the above scope and it seems to be a brighter and better scope in clarity and brightness .. But being a Novice I wont buy before seeking good advice.. I may also want to use the scope for occasional hunting so could use opinions on that as well.
    Thank You.

Charlie.

2. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello Charlie,

I use the fixed 10 verstion of this scope and I have been realy happy with it for the last 2 years, it has helped me win a few comps and I did well with it last year in the nationals.

From a light gathering point of view it is every bit as good as its rivals and to be honest, much better then most. I reviewed the 10x42 tac 30 for Airgunner last year and if you send me your email, i will more then happily send you a rough copy of the article.

I personaly love the Tac 30 range and I will continue to shoot with one this year.

Gary

3. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Charlie, I'm assuming you're talking about doing HFT with maybe a bit of hunting? If so then that scope is a decent compromise.

You're joking right???. Is that the same article where you described the scope as parallax free? Don't get me wrong Gary you've proved that with a lot of practice and learning your kit huge improvements can be made, no-one can take that away from you. I don't really thinks it's fair to send a newbie an article that was totally reamed by the HFT circuit.

4. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Thanks for that Chris,

I think this is the quote you are looking for

"If your head is even slightly out of place the image will seem a little dark, almost like you have your eyes partly closed, but, as you move your head into place, the image comes alive and brightens up and you know you are in the optimum position. For me, this scope has helped me almost eradicate PX error in my shooting."

As you can see, I never said it was parallax free, furthermore, you say that my article was reamed by the HFT circuit? Well, I remember a few people not liking it, but most of them had not even looked through a Tac 30, let alone spent any real time with it and they were only repeating what they had heard from a few other shooters.

At the weekend, I shot with two newbies at Maldon, who both use a Tac 30 and think its great, Ian Bianbridge recently had a 57 with his at the southern hunters, beating, myself, Doppa and Lurch. I have had lots of emails from shooters who have read my articles and have purchased a Tac 30 and they have told me they are very happy with it. I would never ever recomend a scope that I do not believe in. This is why I put my money where my mouth is and use one.

I can pretty much have whatever scope I want and for next year, I am 90% sure I will stick to the Deben Hawke Tac 30 10x42.

5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Master of understatement there, i think the best way to describe the reaction of many of the better shooters was 'Napalmed'. I have no doubt that the article was written honestly as, for you, there probably wasn't any noticable px error. I owned a TAC 30 for 6 months and found it didn't work for me. lanky mark tried his for almost a year before getting rid so i'm not just passing on hear say. I objected to your post because you recommended a scope to a newbie that hasn't taken a single major HFT title. No mention of the scopes that have...the SR6, Viper and Leups?

Not very objective then....really?

Honestly not trying to have a dig....just trying to balance the advice given to Charlie.

6. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Was this the same review where you wanted to buy the review scope Gary & they wouldn't let you & wanted to send you one from stock :rolleyes:

I can remember testing the one that Chris Cundey tried & the parallax error was no better than some cheaper scopes but the centre of the image wobbled as you moved your head. I must admit it gave me a headache just looking through it.

7. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Blimey Pete, my memory is like a sieve...i'd forgotton i'd lent you that scope to try out.

Old age:D:rolleyes:

8. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello Chris,

You are correct, the Tac 30 to date has not been used by a shooter to win a major series that I am aware of.

However, a Tac 30 was used to win the four counties championships, it was also used by Petter Higgns to win either 1 or 2 rounds of the UKAHFT in 2010 and as I stated, Ian used one to win a round of the Southern hunters and finally I used one to win the England V Scotland shoot last year, so it has had some good victories.

I believe in the scope and I fully accept that some people do not like it, just like some people do not like Vipers or 6500 or even leups.

Pete, No, you are thinking of another scope I reviewed and they did not want me to keep the one that was sent out.

The scope that I am currently using was purchased second hand from Simon Dixon and to be honest, it was better then my test scope.

Chris, you say that I made no mention of scopes that have performed well. Well, that was not the OP question, he asked for our opinions of the Tac 30 and that is what I gave him. If he had asked us to recomend a scope, I would have said, either a Hawke Panorama or possible a Mamba lite.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Charlie...apologies for the ping pong.:eek:

Try before you buy. You may well be one of the few that like the TAC 30 but there are reasons why there aren't so many of them used on the UKAHFT circuit. As a combi HFT/hunting scope you might find it ticks a lot of boxes for you and if i was in your shoes i would consider the TAC a contender.....although i would probably look out for a really clean second hand Bushnell 6500 instead, even though i suffered parallax error with that scope as well...............just not as much as i did with the TAC.

The problem i have with magazine reviews is................well...............they're pants. I shudder to think of the expensive mistakes made by new shooters following the advice of 'experts'. what suits one person doesn't suit another, what someone describes as a 'useable' trigger most would call arse.

A good example is my Steyr.....i must be the only person in the world that puts more weight onto a steyr trigger. It's because i can get a premature shot release when kneeling/standing if the trigger is too light....it's just the way i 'pulse' the trigger with my finger whilst trying to settle down. If i were writing an article i would decribe the trigger as perfect but a 10 mtr shooter would pick my rifle up and probably describe the trigger as pants.:eek:

An article has to be taken as the opinion of a shooter..................not fact.

10. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Trying before you buy is certainly a great idea, if you are a member of a club, then you will have access to multiple scopes and rifles.

I disagree with the fact that Airgun reviews are pants, but I do agree that they are nearly always the reviewers opinion and it comes down to whether or not you trust the mag or reviewer. I personally have always tried to be honest about the kit I look at and on the few occasions I have been given stuff that is bad. I have sent it back and refused to endorse it.

I am well aware that if I say something is good and it turns out to be rubbish, I will have shooters approach me at either the Nationals or at M.A.D and I will have to explain myself. I have been working for Airgunner now for three years and I have only ever had two people complain to me in person about a review. However, I have had lots of very nice emails from shooters who have been happy.

I stand by my article and if you would like a copy to make up your own mind, please drop me a line.

Gary

11. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Hi Charlie, if it's HFT you're considering, you'd do well to try out the Hawke before buying it.

I bought one about a year ago, and it's an excellent scope in many respects, but I personally don't like it for HFT. It is very bright indeed, and I love the half mil-dot reticule, but I struggle with it 'fit wise'.

I found that the scope has a longer than average eye relief, and I struggled to mount it far enough forward that I was able to eliminate the tunnel vision. I found this a problem in HFT shoots because the various shooting positions often force different lengths of eye relief upon you, and for some uphill prone shots there was a good couple of inches of daylight between the rifles butt and my shoulder.

I'm not sure if the fixed 10x is any better in that respect?

Perhaps it's just my build, or my technique, but the only rifle that I can use my Tac 30 on, is my Stery LG100 with the Steyr weaver bridge fitted, and an FT stock with the length of pull adjusted out to the max. That's probably THE worst configuration for HFT.

So I would try and attend as many different HFT shoots as you can, and try looking through as many different scopes as you can. And remember, you're not interested in judging how good a sight picture you can achieve on a 'comfortable shot', but rather how well does the rifle perform on those bastard forced prone shots, where the target is only 8yds away, but it's 18ft up a bloody tree!

Thanks Tayside!!! :p

12. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Thanks Guys.. Right I have tried looking through one of these scopes and did like it.. As for try before buy well I cant see a gun shop allowing Me to take it away and the return it a week or two later if I dont like it.. I have My eye on a used one and am considering a punt but not before asking if the ranges on the scope are suitable for HFT and also a little hunting.. What I'm not trying to achieve is the very best type of scope that will be only suitable for HFT but will be useless on the occasion hunting trip..

Also please bear in mind I am a beginner and do not expect to buy a scope that will be perfect in every department first time around.. Like Many I do expect to upgrade a little as I go along.

So is this a suitable scope for My needs at the moment ? Guys I realise of course that You will all have Your own favourites and I do appreciate that You will all have differing opinions but I'm looking for a good middle ground scope to get into the sport without spending a fortune

Sincere thanks.

Charlie.

13. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello Charlie,

first of all don't worry about the Banta, we all like to have a pop at each other now and then.

the Tac 30 is perfect for what you want, " in my opinion."

With the parallax set to about 25 you will have a clear image from 14 to 45 yards approx with a slight amount of blur from 10 to 13 and a fair bit of blur on 8 and 9 yards. This is with the scope set to 10 mag.

I have used a Tac 30 in HFT for two and a bit years and have had some good results, a few 59's and a few wins, as far as hunting is concerned, it is bright and crisp and will give you a good sight picture of whatever it is you are hunting.

If you get one, let me know and I will give you a few hints and tips about setting it up for HFT.

As i said before, if you want to see my airgunner article, PM your email and i will send you over a copy.

all the best

Gary

14. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Is yours the fixed 10x or vari mag model Gar?:)

15. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Too be honest Charlie you need to try and not just look, I tried the tac 30 and in my 10 years of shooting HFT seen plenty of better scopes for same budget and its not my cup of tea,but again that's my opinion.

Pete

16. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

I think he claimed that on the airgun bbs Chris rather than the article

17. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I am sponsored by Deben and as such love there scopes, this is not to say that all of them are good for HFT. I tried the 10X42 and loved the scope but for me the PX error was too much and as such stuck with the SR6. I would say that the 10X42 is amazing for Deer and the like but sadly ( for me) not for HFT.

Try as many scopes as you can and settle for the one that makes you happy . Hawke make lots of great scopes BUT the choice is yours buddy

LAity

18. scutter

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I think Pete, what I said on the BBS was.

"I found the scope to have almost none, or very little parallax error" and if I remember rightly, quite a few STB members started attacking me then as well.

I find it strange why so many people want to have a go at Deben Hawke, I think their products are good value and well built and and I also like the fact that they support the shooting community. There are plenty of other manufacturers that actually produce poor equipment, but you don't see many people giving them grief.

I am not sponsored by Deben and I have no benefit in promoting their products and as I have said before, I am in a lucky position that I can have almost whatever I want scope wise, and for me personally, I have not yet found anything that i would swap the Tac 30 10x42 for.

Ryan, The scope I use is the 10x42, but I have had the 4.5x12x42 on test.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  19. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Cool cheers.:) What's your best score with the vari?

20. CharlieFarlie

CharlieFarlie Member

Club:
    Mate how do I get to try ?? Who is going to lend Me one ?? Surely I can only stand in the Dealers and look through one ?? I feel fairly sure no retailer is going to loan one out on a sale or return basis ??

Thanks.

Charlie.