Advice on spring powered rifle.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Redster, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Redster

Redster New Member

Club:
    Easton Field Target Club
    I currently own an S400 side lever on TGAG aluminum stock. Great rifle specially now that I finally sorted out my scope(Falcon T50) and ballistic chart. I shoot field target at the club and plinking at home. Recently I took interest on spring guns and the fact that I don't have to fill it after X amount of shots interest me. I'll be using it for field target and plinking at home.Bringing it with me occasionally when camping.

I am looking at these rifles: AA TX200, Pro Sport, HW98. Understand that they are all top notch spring rifles. Hopefully this weekend someone shows up with all these rifle mentioned at the club FT comp. For the meantime I'll appreciate all the info about these rifles?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    In my opinion I find a TX200 easier to shoot than a Prosport. I'm currently using a Prosport and is mastering the gun alot of kick. So out the air arms I would give the edge to the TX200.
    Now Weihrauchs I love the HW77 and there is one for sale on here tuned by the best Nick Murphy also it's got a nice stock that actual gun and mods is probably the best spring gun in the market. The HW77 or HW97 I prefer the HW77 I believe it to be the best Weihrauch spring gun especially a 80's version.

3. steveggg

steveggg Trainee Grumps

The ProSport has the best internals as standard, but is very Hold sensitive and generally would not be used for FT over here.
    The HW 98 has very basic internals and would benefit from a lot of tuning, again not used for FT over here.
    The 2 guns that you would see are the TX200 and the HW 77/97, both underlevers therefore a bit heavier and stable.
    The TX200 has the better internals from the factory, and only needs some minor tuning to get it sweet.
    The HW's, more work initially required but sweet once they are sorted.

New, it has to be the TX.
    S/Hand then a Tuned or well bedded in HW.

My humble thoughts.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Spring guns .

Spring guns are the way to madness ( ask rob ) you set em up on the zero range and by the time you get to the course . something has changed , don't ask me what . the slightest change in position or hold and missed . the weather changes and missed . slightly different zero in standers and kneelers ( cos of the hold ) and you cannot most of the time see the hits or misses , which is worse . no , no spend your money on drink or women and it won't be wasted ??? HOLLY:):D
    PS if you must get one , get a sandwell sports tuned MK one 77 . lovely .

5. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Good advice here from Steve, the HW98 is a very good rifle (I have one) but for FT suffers a handicap, the break barrel means you cant fit a long scope and sunshade due to the breech!
    My FT springer is a Bitza HW77 built for the job and modfied extensively by myself to shoot the way I want it to, using Express its just as accurate as my HW100, but as with all springers it requires a bit more skill to shoot than a precharge
    If you get POI changes in different positions by the way (as holly mentioned) its the balance, it took me most of the Summer to sort my 77 but by the end of the seriese it was picking the scores back up after a few changes!

6. Redster

Redster New Member

Club:
    Easton Field Target Club
    Thank you for all the info. For the meantime I am shooting FT with my aluminum stocked S400. At the moment I am looking on online reviews of spring rifles specially for FT. Another rifle that came to light with me is the Theoben SLR 98, seem like a good rifle and with a single pellet adaptor it might be another option. Anyone know a friend or had experience with this SLR 98?

7. dimmer0707

dimmer0707 Member

TX200SR would be the way to go in FT for me springer with next to no recoil ;)

8. gasman1

gasman1 New Member

only problem with that is you'd have to shoot against pcp's with it bieng semi recoiless. all normall springers have a class of their own as we all know.

9. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

Hi Gasman,

TX 200 SR competes in the piston class with all the other springers, only NEFTA excludes SR's and puts them in with PCP's

Grubber

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    Not only that but only poofters shoot non-recoiling springers.:D

11. Redster

Redster New Member

Club:
    Easton Field Target Club
    Thank you gentlemen for all the info and advice. Looks like I am getting an Air Arms TX200.