Advice on a new hft rifle

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Drake267, May 14, 2019.

1. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Right guys, just after a bit of advice, have lately decided that the only shooting I am going to do is hft. After packing in the golf I miss the competitive side and want to try and be competitive at hft. Am hooked already anyway!

So after selling up my hunting rigs I’m thinking do I use some of the cash and get myself a steyr. A used one though, my days of buying new rifles are over. I currently use a gsx 600 and a viper connect scope, have only shot 7 events and my best is 47 so a novice still obviously. Am I trying to run before I can walk by thinking of getting a steyr? I know my current set up is more accurate than me and I like shooting something different. Always loved rapids. But would I be better taking the plunge and getting a rifle I can grow into as such. Would never need upgrading again and I know if I miss it certainly isn’t the equipment, though that’s the case now anyway.

Would I benefit from the steyr being more adjustable and able to get a better fit or do I just add a g tech butt pad to my current set up. Probably lots of novice type questions in there! Pic of my kit below. Thanks in advance guys.

Brett

Attached Files:

2. dlloyduk

dlloyduk Over Gunned Amateur.

Club:
    NM
    Steyr all the way. No seriously what you have is probably all you need. I shot R10 first couple of shoots, then a homebuilt Scorpion in a Goldstar stock. Had some decent mid 40,s with the Scorpion and loved it great gun. I had one little stupid problem with it and lost a bit of confidence in it.
    Then I saw someone's Steyr, tried one and needed one.
    I've done Ok with it but no better than I would have if I'd stuck with the Scorpion. I'm just useless but changing guns, scope's etc. won't bring instant gains. Experience and learning from your mistakes will help more.

Drake267 likes this.
  3. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Know what you’re saying mate, I know the gun is better than me but was just thinking of buying a new kit while I have the cash! Love the look of the steyrs when I see the lads using them. Plus they look more adjustable to get the gun to fit me properly. Not expecting my scores to improve as I know that’s down to practice and competing. I think I just really fancy one!

4. Jon Dally

Jon Dally New Member

Club:
    Bisley
    Sounds like you have already made your mind up

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Steyrs are a superb gun and there's LOTS of them out on the HFT & FT circuits BUT aa you've already admitted the Impact you have is just as accurate. Looking at the picture of your set up a MUCH cheaper alternative would be to get your cheek piece modified to the same profile as a Steyr to prevent/reduce further any possibility of px error?

ps is it Stevie P's old gun?

Drake267 likes this.
  6. miketowler

miketowler Banned

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    Just be warned that spending mega bucks does not improve your score, I spent very near £4000 on my rig and my score went backward.
    I would say the only thing wrong with what you’ve got is it a multi loader, you can’t go far wrong with something like a AA hft500

Peter Trimmer and Drake267 like this.
  7. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Cheers mate, mine is a later block and is scalloped so I’m able to single load straight into the barrel. Think I’ll change the butt pad for a hook though.

8. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Hi mate, it is Steve p old gun, bought it a couple of sales down the line at a bargain price to be honest. I think I’m leaning towards hanging onto it. I’ve had the internals upgraded and it’s very smooth to shoot. Will add a g tech butt pad too. What way do you mean alter the cheek piece? Thanks.

Brett

9. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    That's a good looking gun and is more than capable of cutting the mustard in HFT. You're going down the right line with wanting to change the buttpad but i'd go for something more adjustable.

Drake267 likes this.
  10. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Brett, your cheek piece has a scollop and a slight kick up at the back, both of which can cause eye alignment issues on awkward positions . The connect scope you're using will mask this issue to a certain extent but not eliminate it.

pbrown, Drake267 and SpeckleD like this.
  11. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

Hi

I agree with the advice the guys have already given you. That spending loads of cash will not buy you targets. The main things in HFT is getting good head scope alignment to eliminate parallax error. The straight edged cheek piece on a steyr or target rifles help with this problem.
    Second ranging have at least two or three different methods a accurate range is a good aim point. Bad range estimation equals bad aim point.
    Third a good pellet barrel combination which gives accuracy out to 45 yards and predictable in winds.
    Yes a steyr is a good rifle easy to get things for if anything goes wrong or need replaced.
    Most important thing have fun

johnbam, pbrown and Drake267 like this.
  12. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Thanks mate, would never have thought of that effecting my head position. Will look into that too then. Cheers.

MickyFinn likes this.
  13. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Am def having fun. Love the banter side of it and will start getting to more events now too.

14. chucky82

chucky82 Member

My advice is ask to make alterations to your rifle to get it to fit yourself know it inside out second, third and fourth point practice practice and practice it's only way to get more points. Last point make sure you enjoy it whatever your score.

subaru swift, MickyFinn and Drake267 like this.
  15. Drake267

Drake267 Member

Club:
    Darlington
    Thanks for all the advice guys, it’s all very much appreciated. Think I’m going to hang onto the gsx and get it modded to fit me better. Cheek piece made and butt hook added. Probably the most sensible options. Leaves me cash to explore new hobbies again after the sale of my fx impact and gsx 100, Thanks once again.

Brett

Dan Smith and MickyFinn like this.
  16. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    Try before you buy.
    Talk is cheap.
    See what you think before you buy.
    It may mot suit you .
    And some time frame or mind

Drake267 likes this.