Adjustable butt pad position?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Skengy, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Skengy

Skengy New Member

Hello,
    I'm hoping for some advice please .
    I own a number of spring rifles which have factory or aftermarket adjustable butt pads fitted .
    Is there a means of determining the optimal position for the pad , or is it just trial and error to determine what feels best and produces the tightest groups ?
    I shoot Sft sitting , standing and kneeling .
    The reason for my question is that i've recently ressurected one of my older rifles and it groups much better in the vertical plane than horizontally , could the butt plate height be an influence on this please?

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Lower butt pad will lower the muzzle and raise the scope eyebell...I think.

Compare both guns side by side and try a few different positions. If it’s in wrong position your body and head will be forced into an unnatural position and Point Of Aim will be forced, not good for consistency or shooting groups.

RobF likes this.
  3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It depends on how much of an influence your position is on your shooting outcomes. Vertical groups can be anything but if you have your natural point of aim sitting on target then you can at least see if this is an improvement or look at something else.

You determine the height of the butt by where the aim naturally settles... it it's too low, raise the butt and the aim will rise, and vice versa. You can test this by aiming blind.

It also goes the same if you're shooting up or downhill, if the target is low, lower the butt, high raise...

The catches are that this will change for every position, rule of thumb is your butt will be lower standing than it is sitting which will be lower than kneeling. Prone also has a high butt position. Your cheek piece should ideally change as well, or you need to be able to at least accommodate it's movement. For example if you lower the butt too much then if the butt is in the right position in your shoulder then you can imagine that the cheekpiece could be now too high to get your cheek over it and be able to look down the scope. This is because your head sits at a different angle to the gun/cheekpiece in the different positions... offsetting can help with this, as can scope height.

4. Skengy

Skengy New Member

Thankyou, i will do some testing seated and see what happens