Accuracy Problems - Need help

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by xeno10, Oct 25, 2011.

1. xeno10

xeno10 New Member

Hi

Hope I can get some pointers to help ease my frustrations!

I have a HW97 .22 and a newly fitted BSA Contender 6-24x40 IR scope.

I took the rifle up the range today and zero'd the scope to 35 yds and then moved the targets to get the mildot holdovers from 8 to 55 yds.

I then placed targets from 8 to 55 yds to test the holdovers and all was satisfactory; I was shooting off a small table I had taken with me to aid accuracy, there was a bit of wind but light, as the shots were consistent from 8 to 55 and the wind variable I was happy with my results. All shots were within the 20mm center of the targets at all ranges, from 30 to 8 yds it was pellet on pellet.

I then discarded the table and chair and began to shoot off my shooting seat FT style (barrel resting on the hand on the knee) and all shots were falling 25mm right of centre (pellet on pellet off centre at 35 yds), I then changed to a folded arm style (the barrel resting on the bent elbow that is resting on the knee, hope you know what i mean) and the shots were erratic approx 10-20 mm left, right, up and down of centre.

I then adopted a hunting stance ( with elbow resting on the knee and barrel in the up turned hand. hope you follow) and this produced greatest accurace of the 3 stances. I confirmed the accuracy back on the table so the scope and rifle seem to be performing as expected.

Any Idea why the first two styles produced such a consistent error? I can only think - Parallax error or I'm not holding the rifle firm enough and recoil is moving the point of impact.

I did clean the barrel before zeroing the scope, but I must have shot 150-200 pellets through it today so it should have settled down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

(You may see this posted on other shooting forums)

2. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I don't shoot springer's anymore, and you have described why I don't.
    Some people love the great challenge of shooting them accurately but they are "hold sensitive"
    Try holding the gun less tightly.

Atb, and welcome to STB.

Alec.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i'd investigate PA error first, dial it out for the range then try the different positions at the same range.

try not to hold the rifle tight, let it do it's thing :)

4. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    When you were shooting off the table to zero, was the gun touching anything ie rested, if so thats the problem. Works with a PCP but not with a springer.

5. xeno10

xeno10 New Member

Yes, I was resting on my bean shooting seat on the table to steady the aim :)

So how do I get consistency when seated? Do I go through the same zeroing routine but seated? What happens when I have to shoot kneeling or standing will I get the same/similar accuracy discepancies?

Rob

6. Scottish Guy

Scottish Guy Member

Club:
    Dunfermlie ARC
    I always set my guns up in FT position because that's what I shoot. If you set it up resting on a table it is more like bench resting and your head/cheek is in a different position when you sit on your FT seat. Give it a try:D

Guy

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

Shooting off a table will not translate to shooting off the hand.

pick the style that you want to shoot and then practice holding the rifle the same for each shot..

Hold it loose and dont get frustrated as when you get tense it will alter your POI...

Take your time and enjoy getting better, bit at a time it wont come overnight ....

Good Luck

Grubber

8. alexb

alexb New Member

Club:
    Cambridge HFT
    Anther quick tip use some decorator masking tape and put a piece on the stock once you find that sweet spot. Keep using that masking tape as a guide and you'll subconsciously do it. I have a similiar problem in POI movement when I shoot HFT. I have my hand further away from the trigger guard than I do in the field which in my case raises the POI by a good few clicks.

atb
    Alex

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Buy .

Buy a 177 . the problem with 22 ammo is THE AMMO ??? HOLLY:):D

10. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Also make sure your scope mounts (ideally one-peice on a springer) are tight and are not shifting on the rail, or scope shifting in the mounts.

11. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

POI changes from bench to FT position are pretty much inevitable with a springer, the muzzle flips more off a bench as theres no compliance to absorb the movement, so when you park your backside on a bag its generally shooting low and off to one side, POI changes in differing positions (sitting standing etc) can be mostly cured by a bit of experimentation with rifle balance, my own HW77 which was built for FT suffered this exact problem untill I rebalanced the rifle, I ended up with half a pound of lead in the butt putting the balance point directly over where my fore hand holds the rifle, although I have never found a cure to the differing POI when shooting prone, zeroing off a bench seems to set zero for prone too but then your stuffed in other positions, so if your doing HFT you simply have to learn how much hold under you need shooting prone!

12. xeno10

xeno10 New Member

OK went to the range this morning and zero'd the scope @35 yds while in the FT sitting position and proceded to shoot from 8 to 55 yards, pic of the results are below. The outer circle in 40mm the inner 20mm.

[​IMG]

Had a couple of wayward shot at 25 yds and around 30-35 yds I must have been getting tired wallking up and down moving the target as when i took a rest I improved at 40yds after realising the misses were down to not having the rifle in the vertical (canting I think its called). 50 yds was OK although a bit scattered, distance does emphasise your errors and 55yds shot ont he 60 target for some reason were a bit high, after checking the holdover later in the morning I did adjust.

I later went back to 35yds and had a group of 10 shots with in 40mm.

I also tried kneeling and standing and the accuracy remained which I was very thankfull for.

I have only shot this rifle about 5 times since I bought it, and this is the 3rd time with this new scope and as I haven't shot for a long while I am very happy with my results.

Just need to practice now.

Comments please.

Rob

13. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

It will improve with practice and testing different pellets will help to see what the barrel likes, I have found JSB Express to work best in my HW77 followed by the no longer sold Mossies!

when shooting from the FT sitting position I make a thumbs up fist and rest that on my knee then sit the rifle in the crook between thumb and clenched fingers, I also wear a padded glove, nothing special just a winter leather one and this damps out most of the bounce for me.

testing a couple of different pellets through a HW98 this afternoon I saw a ten shot 16mm group with mossies and 18mm with Falcon accuracy at 55 yds, wind conditions were almost perfect for grouping so made the most of it!

14. xeno10

xeno10 New Member

Hi

After a bit of practice I recorded the card below, 2 shots at each target (except where I had a few fliers at 35,45 and 50 yds) I had to patch the target as it had been used, hence the patches.

The outer ring is 40mm and the inner 20mm.

I'm getting there :)

This is seated and using the fist on the knee and thumb up..Seems to work OK.

[​IMG]

15. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Good effort Xeno, it takes a while to hone a springer technique, once you have sorted your position you then have to work on getting your hold and position consistent, the vast majority of loose groups will be caused by trigger controll, but, being able to maintain your firing position is very important!

you have to work on making sure the "feel" of the rifle is the same for each shot, and by that I mean you have to concentrate on the way the rifles weight and pressure against your hands shoulder and cheek feels, after a while it becomes subconcious and you get this nagging feeling when somethings not right.also make sure you follow through its critical with a springer, let the rifle recoil without you taking your eye off the target and freeze in place after the shot to seehow much the crosshairs came off the target, that can point to changes that need to be made.

regards
    Mike