Accuracy .177 versus .22 ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by cb2591, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    In general you're correct, the higher mass of .22 contributes to a higher BC, but my point was in reply to a particular theoretical scenario:
    This particular scenario would only be true in a vacuum. In air, the .22 would actually have a worse BC. Same mass but bigger pellet so there is more drag.

An extreme example but if you imagine a ping pong ball with a mass of 3 grammes and an 8mm lead ball of the same mass, launched at the same velocity, you'd never expect them to have the same trajectory because the ping pong ball has hugely more drag. As I say, in the real world the higher mass of .22 pellets gives them a better BC.

2. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Agreed, but the lead ball has a better BC.

3. JEV

JEV Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Agreed, but the lead ball has a better BCthan the ping pong ball. If you take a typical .22 pelet it wil have 50% more frontal area but 85% more weight which explains the majotity of the better BC.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Yep I think we're saying the same thing two different ways. :)
    If you had a .22 and a .177 of the same mass, the .22 would have a worse BC than the .177 and thus the two pellets could not have exactly the same trajectory as a previous poster suggested. Of course in the real world (generally), the higher mass of .22 pellets give them better BCs than .177 pellets.