Accucover scope cap

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Al Downie, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Al Downie

Al Downie New Member

After my third Butler Creek bust on me in the last year, I decided to try a different make of scope cap, and bought an Accucover which is miles better - it's much better made, more robust, and easy to find & fit the right size (3 sizes fit all scopes, rather than having to use a micrometer to find the one of twenty Butler Creek sizes!). Since then however, several folk have told me it's illegal and I'll be disqualified from any UKAHFT event. For using the wrong lens cap!!!

I've looked carefully at the 2012 rules, and can see nothing that describes how the scope cap could contravene. It's not an optical aid, it doesn't assist with wind estimation, it doesn't assist with levelling the scope, it doesn't alter the aperture of the scope - it doesn't do much of anything apart from keep the rain off my eyepiece.

People compete side by side in HFT with guns costing £50, and guns costing £1,500; using scopes costing £20 and scopes costing £2,000; with standard stocks and all-singing, all-dancing, adjustable-everything stocks; wolly mittens and £100 shooting gloves. How can it be that someone will be disqualified for using the wrong lens cap??!!

I've also read that many clubs are not enforcing the rule (the rule I can't find!) in non UKAHFT events - I guess because they think it's a bit daft. Can someone explain the thinking behind the UKAHFT position? And point to the rule that prohibits the accucover cap? Is it not time for a rethink?

Cheers,

Al.

2. LANKY MK

LANKY MK this **** is killing me.

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
  3. rogb

rogb Señor Member

Cut off the 4 dayglo pointy bits.
    Then it won't be an optical aid.

4. Al Downie

Al Downie New Member

That's nuts. It contains no optical elements - it's just a flippin' lens cap!

In the other thread Pete explains that it's been banned because if it was permitted, "things will get silly", but then goes on to describe a method for achieving exactly the same (alleged) benefit on any scope without a lens cap, thus confirming that the Accucover cap offers no advantage over any other. Therefore I'd say that if this scope cap continues to be banned, we're already far beyond silly. And from a practical point of view, in such a difficult economic climate, has anyone considered the impact on a small business which has brought a very good product to the market, by banning all HFT shooters from using it?

As long as I'm permitted to continue shooting at my local club, I don't really care if all my scores are recorded as Zeros. I shoot for the fun, the banter and the challenge - I'm happy to leave the competition to the guys with the 'approved' lens caps.

5. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

As a rough guide anything that encroaches into the path of either lens is banned, by all means if you are only using it as a lens cap cut off the triangles that encroach into the eyebell lenses path then you'd be able to use it in a UKAHFT natioanl.

However if we start allowing one device that encroaches where do we then draw the line, would we have to then limit the type & amount of encroachment. If that every happened we would then be unfair to the person who came outside those limits..

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

If you only shoot at your local club it's no problem then.:)

7. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft
    it will be if the club shoots UKAHFT rules :D

8. rogb

rogb Señor Member

At least they haven't banned woolly mittens, so you should be OK:D

9. sultano

sultano Member

Club:
    cambridge hft