AAA and other ideas...

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by RobF, Jul 23, 2010.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    just chucking these out there...

thoughts on FT having a AAA grade? 90% av +? Or AA moved to 85%?

just thinking that there's a lot in AA these days, the standard of shooting has got better, and it's quite a deep grade to get near the silverware in, and whilst i suspect that doesn't drive a few, i wonder if many felt like I did when i got in, which was akin to staring up a long ladder dissapearing into the clouds :D

another idea that came out with a chat to a mate, AA take 6 shots standing, A 5, B 4, C 4, with the other positionals being kneelers... so everyone shoots 10...

dunno... it's friday night :D

2. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    AA in GP series is vast !

When i went into AA your up with the big boys & GP series is hard, it does knock the wind out of your sails if your not getting anywere & a little silver wear or recognition does boost your confidance i guess.

There are a quite a few shooter that hold a 90% shot average when placed in GP series but when broken down in regions ie Winter Leagues it would leave a minority probably only the same 5 or 6 plus shooters fighting over top spot in AAA ? ........................... But this would be the case if they where still in AA so is there any differance ?

Maybe a AAA grade would make a little depth & be something new ?

From my position i worked hard & put a lot of effort into working my way to AA & it does come quickly initially but as i have found when you hit AA you also hit a brick wall ( well i have ) :eek:

Think extra positionals would potentially sort the men from the boys or bridge the gap in AA to AAA or not ?
    Or would it just add confusion ?

Anyway i'm off to Redfearns know to shoot some tin chickens !

Living the Dream

Scott,

3. saltydog

saltydog I smell something fishy

Club:
    Mid Ulster, Tawd Vale
    Aaa hell yes 95% :d

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    How many AA and A class shooters have entered each round so far this year?

5. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    just an idea

How about AA shoot the coarse standing
    A half standing half kneeling
    B kneeling
    and C sitting. or maybe if the elite group is large have prizes down to tenth place.

6. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Maybe a bit controversial, but how about people practice more and try raising their ability instead of relying on a handicap/grading system.

When I started I wanted to get competitive with the top scores, rather than the class limits.

It's not all about who has the most money either,just put the effort in with reasonable kit.:)

The silverware or bits of plastic are a distraction and really not that important..... to me anyway, the memory of beating a course last forever.

7. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    If you put everything out to 55 yards standing the top shooters will still win so has dave has pointed out hit more targets and you may win something even myself shootin an old airarms with a dodgy leup on top gets lucky occasionally had 47 luck shots last time out. steve

8. RobF

Club:
    if you say 5/6 so far, then about 20 in each... but then you only need 6/9 to count, so it's difficult to say this early in the season... if you think about how many are in the raffle at sywell, it's a lot more that do 5-6 rounds.

interesting the spread of replies... not unexpected either :) My thoughts around AAA were that as you say Dave, past a point, more are concerned with the overall result rather than within the grade, but under and in the same grade, the newer shooters are still seeking a boost from touching silver. It's just an idea I had in my head, nothing more, but was just chucking it out there to see what people thought... train hard fight easy, but don't practice a bad habit...;)

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Fair comments there, and I agree Dave, practice does make perfect.
    But inevitably there are those with more ability than others, it's human nature, some are born with better stuff than others. Now skill is a learned thing, you ain't born skillfull, BUT training and practice make us learn skills and once learned technique is perfected.
    However once a skill is mastered there are those with a natural ability that will always achieve better/higher results than those with a lesser ability. No matter how much practice/experience/trainning some put in they will reach a peak/plateau where no amount of kit and further practice will gain them any better/higher results.
    Thats where the grades come in, and indeed there is the the goal of going up a grade, some don't but most do, until you reach/match those of your ability which you can compete with.

All below are hypothetical examples:
    If there was a AAA grade how many would be in it in total 30? And if there was going to be one then the prize in such a class would need to be decent enough to warrant the level of committment/training and expenditure that the best shooters competing in it deserve. (consistently hitting 90% takes some going). However some would argue is a AAA grader any more committed than a C grader? Are we going down that route of eliteism or is it just another grade to give the lower half AA shooters a more competitive group? It could deter a newcomer thinking, "how many grades do I need to move up til I fight with the big boys?"

The suggestion of more compulsories is a good idea however, as it's these that do sort the men from the boys!

10. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

instead of just moveing the top shooters,we have already agreed that the standard is getting better right across the board,why not move every grade 5% C,B,A,AA.....then you can do your penance in every grade,will make it harder for the odd flukey shooter to get in AA or stay in AA,and so on....just a thought;)

11. Jon

Jon Member

Please no extra grades, where do you draw the line? Sooner or later there would be a class for just turning up, rather meaningless.
    Better to shoot and come no where in top grade rather than win in a lower grade.

Dubiously whats now AA maybe better shots than years ago? Remember this grade was recently created.

Scrap mini kill and discipline distances plus max range increase to 60 yards, that would sort at least 25% in all grades.
    Other way round it is put decent courses out with less gimmees.

12. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

I don't think there is room for any more grades. I do think however that the AA grade threshold could be adjusted.

As for 90% and above as an average, here are my feelings.

It is very hard to maintain that kind of consistency and it only takes a couple of shoots in the winter with really bad weather conditions to drop your % grade but many more shoots to climb back up even a few % points.

So you have your 91% and you have made AAA Grade, the following weekend it is a bit windy. What would you do?

A system that somehow splits the 'Major' shoots and the less well attended local shoots may be something to look at. Or even a look at other sports points and ranking systems might give us some ideas.

Oh what a can of worms.........:D

13. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

To throw my two pence worth in, I would be happy to see the percentages change, but why not scrap AA altogether?
    When I tell people I shoot in A grade they think thats top grade and I have to explain there is a grade above A!?
    Why was AA added? instead of regrading everyone down? (And adding a D instead )

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  14. RobF

Club:
    I dont think the C's liked the idea of seemingly getting demoted to a D :D

15. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    "AA" grade shooters are those who's average score is above 80%

"A" grade shooters are those with an average score between 70% and 80%

"B" grade shooters are those with an average score between 55% and 70%

"C" grade is for shooters with an average score up to 55%

A grade is 5% narrower than the other bands seems to be a reasonable argument to extend it to 85%.

Depth is AA is also going to be a reflection of attendance at regional shoots, where lets be honest a 30 shot winter league is quite possibly going to leave you a higher %age than a 50 shot GP course where there are 20 more targets to potentially miss.

16. RobF

Club:
    sounds about right to me... 85%

i guess though it would be good to get an idea of what A grade shooters think ;)

17. RobF

Club:
    here's another idea...

artificial grading on winter leagues... so instead of say the grades being bumped higher in a region lacking a heavyweight core of AA's who clear everything, could something be worked out where the region does the grades dependent on the amount of shooters and their scores... so say something like you have 50 shooters in the winter league, only top 10 get put in AA for the national series? With regions with lesser numbers, less would go into AA... in regions with more numbers there would likely be more AA heavyweights to keep the competition good.

18. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    my two pence worth i think fred 's idea about the extra 5 % on the grades is the best idea no messin and simple ' i am an A grade shooter there ya go rob :)

rick

19. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I think Bfta graes should only come from Bfta shoots.

As it is, the loop hole is there for shooters to drop their Bfta grades in the winter months (or regional summer shoots) either by choice (ringers) or quite reasonably wanting to do something differrent in the winter. Shoot springers, back up guns etc.

So far, pushing A grade up to 85% seems an option to me, but I dont think the current system is broke.

20. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    The only real problem is if you put A Grade up to 85% it would put the likes of me who is currently sat around 7th in AA back into A grade which will only make it more difficult for real A graders to win anything then i become a Trophy Bandit, i would suggest that once someone has acheived a grade which takes a minimum of 3 shoots they stay in the higher grade for the duration of say 3years or as previously suggested don't count winter league scores but again this will only create even more trophy bandits,i would personally stay in AA come rain or shine ii took long enough to get their.