AA & the UK's ?

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by 5teve L, Nov 16, 2009.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Are there many using AA rifles in the UK's now, it seems Walther, Steyr & Daystate are taking over :eek:
    Even Mr ' World Champ' has gone over to Walther IIRC....
    Are AA considered a starter rifle into HFT & then natural progression onto theso called 'better' rifles ?
    Just wondering like... :D

Who is the AA team leader ??
    Tried looking for a thread but couldn't find it, could have sworn I saw one somewhere :confused:

2. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

There are a lot more AA rifles being used than Walther, we are lucky to get 6 or 7 Walther shooters at a UKAHFT round. I think Air Arms are the most popular in UKAHFT with Daystate not far behind.

3. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    So does that mean alot of people that start up use AA & then when you get better maybe move onto the walthers & Steyrs to gain that extra point or two ?
    Just interested to know if it's the rifle or the shooter, can a rifle make up the consistant one or two points that make a difference or is it the shooter on the day more than the rifle.....

Do you know if there were many in the top 10 or 20 of the UK's this year Pete?

Steve

4. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

1 Pete Sparkes ................Walther
    2 Ross Hudson.................Steyr
    3 Dave Ramshead.............Air Arms
    4 Pete Dutton..................Walther
    5 Darren Lindsey..............Air Arms
    6 Chris Cundey................Steyr and Daystate
    7 Nick Thomas.................Theoben
    8 Dave Hatfield...............Walther
    9 Richard Woods.............Steyr
    10 Darrell Waite ...............Daystate
    11 Vince Blackman..............Steyr
    12 Stephanie Kirkwood.........Steyr
    13 Darren Quincey..............Steyr
    14 Guy Gillies....................Daystate
    15 Ryan Charlton..............Walther
    16 Chris Coombes.............Steyr
    17 Dave Martin.................Daystate
    18 Jon Houghton...............Air Arms
    19 John Murray................Steyr
    20 Paul Russell.................Daystate

5. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    And any of those twenty if you gave them a b2 would still knock over a lot more target than most people.Its a tool its how you use it.Just some tools are better:D

6. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    From my own personal experience, and from an FT perspective, I think the reasons why people use certain gear is varied... but there are some common themes.

Major influences are recommendations from other shooters, reliability and servicing reputation, and price. And it tends to be makes have a central mass or following, certainly often regionally. There's also those that look at scores and buy based upon them.

It seems with HFT there's Daystate, and then there's the rest... and people have probably bought 'a' make such as Daystate or AA because they can be grabbed off the shelf, they can be serviced in the UK by a company, and have shown well in FT & HFT at the top level, and probably cost less than their foreign conterparts.

After a while however, some shooters may find they prefer the feel of other gear, they might not like certain aspects of a make, they might find a problem they can't solve, or they might just like the look of something new... and having more confidence and knowledge about the scene, who can service what, what gun has what known problems/solutions and what can be solved, they may be more confident about something more 'exotic'.

I don't have much experience of a daystate... the mk3 i have a go on now and then seems just as accurate as my walther, as did the AA i picked up once... i've had more hands on with a steyr and that seems just as good... i couldn't find fault with the fwb either, and the champs was taken with an anschutz this year, so they cant be that bad either.

Personally I think that when a one of the above is working as it should, in the right hands, it's as good as any other. So I don't really see it as moving up... more moving sideways.

Probably all the guns have an achillies heel somewhere in their mechanics, that should it let go, or not be right, will send it off the performance curve and take the shooter with it. Whether some makes are more reliable than others, once fixed is something I can't comment on because I don't fix them, and I've only had one make...

7. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hello Steve, there have been various threads regarding the teams, with both Pete's reminding shooters at various rounds to go and contact the manufacturer team captains, introduce yourselves and give a score. For AA this year in HFT was me.

Despite the reminders, not many AA shooters made the effort, shame really. If people want to participate they will without someone having to chase.

Bill Sanders has said he wants to get even more involved with HFT in the future in addition to the support AA already show in the form of sponsoring a round.

Bill has been kept informed throughout the season of AA shooters who have made the effort to introduce themselves and give me their scores on a regular basis.

Just to finish, while the humble 400 is a very capable gun, alot of people are lured by the current trend for what can be a very expensive mistake. There's no short cut to good scores eg spending £1k+ on a gun & another good wedge on a leupold, it just takes time and effort to learn your kit.

hth
    Dave

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Thanks Dave,

I did add my name to the list on here (that I can't find now) sorry if they didn't make it to you as I didn't know I had to hand them in to you personally, I assumed (wrongly it seems) that they were sorted at the desk :eek:
    I actually spoke to Bill today myself & he said that he/AA is/are getting more involved next year which will be good.

I am in agreement with the final statement, get a half decent bit of kit & practice your aim points & you're most of the way there.
    Some need luck, some are naturals,some from hard work, but 99% of us are there just for the craic as well.
    See you next year where I will endeavour to meet up :eek:

ATB
    Steve

9. Roy

Roy New Member

Even i got 2 Golds with my 400 this year:D
    Roy..

10. Dave Ramshead

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Well done Roy:)...... make sure your scores get on the team card next year:D

11. Fred Kaz

Fred Kaz Non member

Hi,

Am I righting in thinking that as long as I pass on my scores next year to the Air Arms Team Captain, my scores will be added to a team list??? Or are you invited to shoot for a team???

I have a Air Arms S400 and I love it.

Cheers,

Fred

12. The Darrener

The Darrener New Member

I'll explain it all tomoz. :)

13. Dave Ramshead

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Hello Fred, to make it clearer - ANYONE who shoots an AA can be a counting team score on the day as long as the score is one of the top 5 within the people that shoot an AA rifle.

The bulk of scores have come from the following people this year who made the effort to put their score on the team list:

Dave Ramshead - Pro Target / CA100
    Darren Lindsey - EV2
    Ian Harford - EV2
    Jonathan Major - MPR
    Mark Camoccio - EV2 / S400
    Mark Wall - MPR
    Jane Sparkes - MPR (some rounds) - now defected to Daystate:D
    Mike Elliot MPR / Pro Target (some rounds) - Now defected to a secret weapon:D
    Rik Travers - EV2 - Now defected to Steyr :p:D
    Janine Travers - S400 - (beat Rik regularly with her S400:D)
    Jean Geatrex - S400
    Dave Benyon - MPR (1x round before op)

Most of the counting scores were from session 1 shooters, while marshalling I was looking for AA users who were in a position to better the core scores already in.
    I know some possible qualifying scores will have been missed along the way such as Jon Houghton's, which was a pity.

14. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Again sorry about that Dave, next year I will certainly find you to add my scores.

Steve

15. Rik ochet

Rik ochet Its my skunk, I saw it !!

I resent that comment :D Even if true....
    Although I did get my revenge at the Gathering.

Thanks for the support though Dave
    Rik

16. All That Remains

All That Remains Caution...I Bite!!!!

I have no plans of changing my gun, the S400 shoots better than I do, its tough and it does not beep at me. Now that Rik has defected to Steyr I have stolen his one as a spare!

Yes you beat me this time and being the supportive wife I will say well done! Right thats done, next time I will rip you apart....defector!

Janine

17. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Bet that was an interesting drive home. :D:D:D

18. All That Remains

All That Remains Caution...I Bite!!!!

Yeah what a blooming anniversary present that was!

He is fine.......now when do I tell him I let the dog use his Steyr as a chew toy!:rolleyes:

19. Fred Kaz

Fred Kaz Non member

Hi, Dave,

Thanks for pointing out what happens with the score.

You may never know, I may just one day make it into the top five on the day.

Cheers,

Fred

20. Weevie

Weevie Banned

If I don't shoot like an ass next year I'll stick my scores in next year Dave.

To be honest I didn't think my scores this year (averaging about 51 with the Pro Target) warranted being included.

Does anybody know the reason AA didn't manage to provide a rifle on the day for the last two seasons?