AA EV2 v STEYR LG110 ???

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by HarryF, Aug 22, 2011.

1. HarryF

HarryF New Member

which one is better, and why ?

2. mintyrn10

mintyrn10 Roll on the weekend!

Club:
    REDFEARNS
    ive got a fat thumb so i shoot steyrs ;) ev's are great steyrs are great its what ever fits you

rick

3. HarryF

HarryF New Member

steyr 1 - ev2 0

haha, i dont notice many EV2 about which automatically makes it seem thats steyrs are the better gun, but quite a few people have told me EV2's are very accurate guns. if the EV2 is as accurate as a steyr, i would prefer the EV2 but the steyrs just seem to be more popular ?

4. stelibg

stelibg New Member

5. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I know a certain retailer who has sold 12 new EV2's in the recent months, of this 6 have had to go back to Air Arms for faults (usually leaking regs, causing power issues)

In addition to this, 2 friends bought them last year, one the guage has not worked accurately since new, the other gun was replaced after 1 week as the reg leaked causing 1st shot to be underpowered.

Another friend bought one earlier this year, so far it's been back to air arms for power related problems twice and another occasion when the plating started to peel off the barrel.

I like Air Arms products and still own a couple of pro targets, but this recent history isn't doing them any favours. I've not heard anywhere near the same grumbles / quality control issues from new steyrs that have been brought in through the official UK retailers and have not been messed with by muppets.

as the saying goes...... you pay's your money....

6. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Dont buy AA

Steyr are the better gun any day of the week, more reliable and very easy to work on.
    I would suggest you try before you buy though I will bring my Steyr down on Wednesday you are more than welcome to try it out and use it for the shoot.

Darren.

7. HarryF

HarryF New Member

Darren, that sounds brilliant, ill take that offer up :) i shot an EV2 this weekend after a very long time of looking but not touching and fell in love after the first shot, completly dead feel to the gun, 100% recoiless, couldnt really test for accuracy as it was on the out side range but i was rock steady with standers and i just LOVE the look of the gun. And for steyr's thay also look the nuts, never shot one, but there are alot of good shots with steyr's getting consistantly good scores....alot more than EV2's any how. The steyr's do seem to be the easier gun to MOT and you dont see that many with any faults, were as i do see quite a few EV2's with problems...BUT if i used my sunday luck and got a good EV2 they seem alot easier to keep, for exsample a steyr needs to be taken to bits if it rains but the EV2 is a simple wipe over with a cloth.

so, the steyrs win with accuracy, and if anything goes wrong, there easier to repair...but for some reason i still prefer the EV2 !!! ill just have to wait untill i fired the two and see which one i prefer then. if i knew the EV2 was up to the job ( as much as the steyr ) and i knew i wouldnt be sending it back every month thats is the gun i would go for. So ill wait to see whether the steyr feels as nice as the EV2 to shoot :) thanks every one, look forward to seeing you wednesday darren :) sorry for going on abit, just trying to get my head around it all. many thanks, harry fallows.

8. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Whatever fits you better and works with your style of shooting. Basic moral of that story, go try everything til you find something you gel with, then stick with it!

9. HarryF

HarryF New Member

thats why i think even though the EV2 may not be the better gun, i still think i would shoot better with it, because its a gun i would enjoy to shoot ? but then again, i enjoyed shooting my old BSA, but i wasnt any good with it ?

10. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    Whats wrong with your mk4? Your're putting in some decent scores,

Ian's shooting a mk4 and his scores have risen,
    Terry has put in some decent scores with the same gun, (although he maybe using a proper daystate soon:cool:)
    Dave Ramshead is shooting a modified mk4 action to great effect.

If it ain't broke you can't fix it......

Air Arms ev2's have featured in the past to great effect (Daz L and Ian Harford to name two ?)

I've shot my MK3 FTR for the last 3 years, and my average score hasn't risen, I v'e had the odd good score , and this year, runner up in the matchplay, but thats down to me, not the Gun., last year at MAD uka, Terry used it and shot the same as me (54?), but had hardly shot for the previous year.

Recently I v'e bought a fashionable Steyr lg110 ftr and a Leup mk4, but I haven't seen my scores rise yet:eek:, I fancied one and could afford the change, so i bought a fashionable outfit, and I know that if its set up properly, if I miss, it'll be my fault, just like it was with my Mk3FTR, only now, I don't have to remember to plug it in now and again.

Wayne

11. HarryF

HarryF New Member

thank you :) very true, im very happy with the scores ive been getting, but i shot an EV2 for the first time the other day...and fell in love. thats all there is to it :)

12. w-v-m

w-v-m Member

Club:
    Missed it's
    10.07pm

10.07pm, you should be in bed.

13. HarryF

HarryF New Member

ill have you know im an adult now ! ;) haha

14. Bellerophon

Bellerophon Active Member

In my experience Steyr wins all day long.

Trigger, The Steyr trigger is far superior to that of an EV2, much crisper.

Firing cycle, The Steyr firing cycle feels much crisper and slick, when you cock the action it just feels fucntional. Both the Steyr and EV2 feel pretty much dead once the trigger has been pulled, pretty much entireley recoiless and minimal muzzle flip.

Adjustablitiy, well there both adjustable in loads of different ways so I guess it's even stevens but as a side not the engineering on the Steyr is far better.

Accuracy, if you get a good example of either of the above rifles they'll be awesome, but there lies the key, getting a good example.

If you want my advice mate Steyr all day long.

Hope this helps.

15. HarryF

HarryF New Member

Steyrs 100 - ev2 2, I'll be firing both to which I prefer, I'm hoping the steyr feels as nice as the ev2 because that's obvuisly the better gun :) I'll update you all tonight :) thanks for the comments every one, really has helped :)

16. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Undoubtedly the Steyr is a nice, light pointable gun. However, after trying mine for a year I felt it was a bit too unstable incomparison to previous rifles I'd owned.
    Shot to shot it was very consistent and in still air it was pellet on pellet at 50 yds with a clean barrel, but I found it a real effort to shoot well.
    Any slight wandering of concentration and the shot would be off the kill in an instant; it never felt a natural extension of me, more an appendage to be buckled in tight and throttled until it behaved.
    Regarding the EV2, I've shot a couple and they seem very similar to earlier Pro-targets, but the reliability seems to be off these days which is a pity.
    I wonder if the're still built to order on a Friday afternoon by two bods in an attic at AA HQ, seems like it :D

17. HarryF

HarryF New Member

So which one would you go for out of the 2 ?

18. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    Im going to have to come out on the side of the Air Arms EV2, mainly because I have one (actually 2) :rolleyes:

Im not saying its better than the Steyr as any guality rifle in the hands of a top shooter (so that excludes me then :D) will drop the target.

An EV2 will go head to head with a steyr in terms of accuracy IMO but its what fits. I have tried a Steyr and have a steyr LP10 pistol myself (generally regarded as the best match pistol in the world) so I know about the quality, its just that for me the EV2 suits at the moment.

There is no twang in the trigger, its very sober and focused, their are no modifications required, its ready to go from the off, palm rest, regulator, thumb up, match trigger, quick fill, 120 shots per fill, dove tail, side lever, bubble level (when needed), bipod / accessory rail, etc etc.

Certainly materials wise they are top quality, from the stock through to the castings and machined elements. I am sure there are rogue ones but all manufacturers tend to have a few weaknesses. I know AA are committed to their QA and will sort out any unforseen problems .

I know the Steyrs get the better scores as most of the top shooters use them and they must have good reasons to come down on the side of the steyr. The EV2 seems to do well in FT, possibly because there are more used than other rifles, dont know.

My one suggestion is that just dont put a heavy scope on it, you shouldn't need to for HFT anyway. Go for light and the best quality you can.

Cheers

Tony

19. TeamZ

TeamZ Member

Club:
    Castle
    Not sure where you get the idea that the best shots all seem to use steyrs from?

To name a few AA EV2 shooters.

James Osborne
    Andy Calpin
    Ian Taylor
    Andy Gillott
    James Woodhead
    Marc Fisher
    Etc...

Probably some of the best shooters the world FT scene has ever seen.

Best to go with whatever you feel comfortable with, the guns themselves are pretty much as good as each other on a course, no point talking about off a bench if you are shooting the field.

Chris

20. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    I think he is talking about HFT Chris ;)

James Woodhead shoots a shutz as well ;)