A Warm Welcome

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Strokebloke, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Yesterday, Sun 22nd, I went up to Anston. To pick up a scope I'd bought from Steve.
    I arrived at about 8:20am, and before Steve; and approached the signing-on cabin.
    And what a welcome I received.
    Calps, Simon, Paula and so many others greeted me in a manner which immediately made me feel that I belonged [and had done so for years]. Even the lady in the Burger Van looked as if she remembered me. [even if it was only as the pillock who can't stand up straight long enough to take a cup of hot tea from her. :eek:]
    I chatted to John from Newton Aycliffe, who introduced himself. Nice to meet you John.

As a relative newcomer to the sport, I can tell you that it is a very good feeling.

So thank you, to all at Anston yesterday.
    I'd been invited to shoot at Castle, otherwise I would have gladly stayed and shot the course. That would have provided some amusement for the 'Saturday-night-hung-over-on-Sunday-morning' members.

So having collected my scope, I duly made my way 25 miles down the M1, to Castle.
    And a similar thing happened. Another welcome - although I was told that I was too late to shoot the course as everyone was on the way round. And as Gilly pointed out, I'm so slow that they would have had to go out and find me with lanterns. Bless him. Just wait - by this time next year I'll be like a startled ferret !! :D
    And this from a guy who misses a target that I toppled with ease at Sywell, only a week previously. :rolleyes: :eek: :D
    I had a good chat with the Boss.
    We exchanged gifts and pleasantries.
    Then it was back to the wilds of Northamptonshire for me.

During the evening, I bought some necessities for the scope from Rowan et al.

I also received a PM from one of my 'Friends', telling me that I could be a C Grade 'Ringer'.
    Now I didn't know what that meant. Could it be that I would probably finish at the back-end of the Listings? Or that I would finish the year as top of D Grade? So I asked for an explanation.
    This morning I was told that a ringer is someone who fiddles his scores. In other words; a con-man.

All this sincerity makes me feel as if I've been accepted. Not for my shooting skills, you understand. I do appreciate that ........ :D

I wish all of you a good Wednesday and a brilliant New Year. :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Great to meet you Sunday Jack, looking forward to meeting you again for a shoot and checking your pictures on here. Have a good Yule and all the best for 2014.

3. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    No Ringer

Now then Stroke Bloke me old spunker, Ive met some proper `ringers` in my time and I can defo assure you that you are in the correct grade.:) Anyway, Happy New Year to you from all at MFTA. XX

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    I knew that I would be able to rely upon you to set my mind at rest Andy. Thank you. :D :D

5. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    I also received a PM from one of my 'Friends', telling me that I could be a C Grade 'Ringer'.
    Now I didn't know what that meant. Could it be that I would probably finish at the back-end of the Listings? Or that I would finish the year as top of D Grade? So I asked for an explanation.
    This morning I was told that a ringer is someone who fiddles his scores. In other words; a con-man.

All this sincerity makes me feel as if I've been accepted. Not for my shooting skills, you understand. I do appreciate that ........ :D

No fear there Jack, I can vouch for the fact that you shot like a complete muppet at Greyhound :D:D

6. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    oh dear Phil looks like you have been caught hook line and sinker by master Yoder, he is actually a Jedi in training and has totally lulled you into a false sense of security wait till he starts using the force :D:D

7. johnharper

johnharper Member

Club:
    YORK FTC
    Great to meet you Sunday Jack, looking forward to meeting you again for a shoot and checking your pictures on here. Have a good Xmas and all the best for 2014.
    As for the ringer part take all the banter you can and give it back as this is part of the sport we all enjoy it s called welcome to FT
    Pleased you got your scope and had a safe journey back to your home
    john.

8. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Ahhh. The arrogance of youth ...... :rolleyes: :)
    Everyone else I've shot a Winter League with has seen me produce double figures.
    Is there any significance in that fact, I wonder ..... :D
    I've been brought up by four strapping sons, and a wife ~ :eek:o :eek: ~ and taught at our local college for 20 years. I can take, and give, stick with the best. :D

9. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    the farce

Can he use the force to get through the course quicker? Its dark at four.

10. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    I could always strap a lantern to the top of my head - one of those revolving orange things. :)

Just remember Gilly my boy ~ a startled ferret
    [I'm going to shoot the Showdown in 2014.] :D

11. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC

12. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    It is probably fair to say, Phil, that the force is as much against me, as with me. :D :D :D
    Mostly wind force. :rolleyes:
    However, you are right. Obi Wan Page, is coaching me into a 'shooter's-mindset'; rather than me simply being a-loon-with-a-gun-in-his-hand. :)

All I need to do now is try to finish shooting a morning session before 5pm :eek:o :eek:: then perhaps Mr Gillott will respond more favourably toward me.
    :)

A good New Year to yourself & Molly

13. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Hi Jack
    Watched you on TV over christmas you wasn't doimg much shooting but you looked pretty damn good with a light sabre, your picture is not dis similar to obi wan

14. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Yes. Val was watching the TV. As I passed through the lounge I saw the figures on the screen and said something like "Ahh return of the Jedi."
    She looked at me totally 'gone-out'.
    "How do you know that"? she said.
    "I have a good friend who is on first name terms with the Master Yoda." I replied.

She now suspects that I'm having an affair with a 60yr old divorcee who is into science fiction films :D :D
    [she'll be lucky - she's not getting rid of me that easily :)]

"your picture is not dis similar to obi wan."

It's probably the big-sticky-out-ears that give that impression, Steve.

Glad you had a relaxed Yule :D

15. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Just bumped into this thread, so who is coaching who?:confused:

16. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Only an Irishman could ask a question like that Conor :)
    (and, by the way, it should be whom [not who]) :eek: ;)

Can you seriously imagine me being able to teach Obi Wan Page anything about shooting.
    Cameras. Photography. Maybe. Shooting - No.

He's helped me a lot. I got more than 4 last time out. :D

17. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Now I'm really confused!

Is it, 'whom is coaching who?'
    or
    'who is coaching whom?'
    or
    'Whom is coaching whom?'

Obi Wan Page, if its the Page I know; my coaching tip is...don't wear his glasses, you'll hurt your eyes :D

18. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Conor, my boy; you are not confused at all. Merely a little bewildered.
    But that is to be expected. You find yourself in the middle of a Star Wars set, and have no idea how you arrived here.
    I am similarly disorientated. I know nothing about Star Wars and marginally less about target shooting. :eek:o

Incidentally, it is 'who is coaching whom.'

I tried his glasses - you know, the wire framed ones, and it did make a significant difference.
    I could no longer see the target. Or the woodland that we were in. Or Obi Wan Page either.
    But apart from that, it has been a wonderful experience. :D

He has been wonderfully patient with me. Never shouting or getting angry. [he does weep occasionally, but ...... ] Unlike Mr Gillot who moans incessantly [about rocks and fish and daylight]
    He is eternally optimistic, believing that my scores will improve. What more could a Jedi, in training, wish for.

19. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Princess Leia in that gold bikini in Return of the Jedi

20. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Mr T priceless as always just about stopped crying with laughter
    Happy new year to all my fellow tin chicken hunters