A Tale of Woe

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Strokebloke, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    You may remember that during the period that I purchased my Falcon T50 scope, my Mk3 had been returned to the manufacturer for new batteries and a full service.
    I was quoted a ‘fixed price’ of £184. Thinking this somewhat extortionate for a pair of batteries, purchasable at my local Maplin store for £14 each, I looked around at others who could do the work for me. The outcome was that the price I had been quoted seemed consistent, to within £20. So I thought – I’ll send it back to the manufacturers, who assured me that for my £184 it would be returned to me as, ‘effectively a new gun’. They also advised me that, according to their record, the gun had not be serviced in 9 years since new. So, I considered the expenditure reasonable - subject to the gun being returned 'as new'.
    This I duly did, at a cost of £12+ for Postage (Parcel Force) For a 3+ Kilo parcel, I thought that reasonable. 3 weeks later I had heard nothing from the manufacturer, so phoned them. ‘Oh, we haven’t looked at it yet.’ was the reply to my enquiry as to its progress. ‘Er – so, when are you going ….. etc ?
    ‘We’ll start on it on Monday sir. It should be ready at the end of the week.’
    On the following Friday I received a call on my mobile, requesting my credit card details to pay for the work. £212+. ‘Er – I was quoted £184.’ ‘Yes, but that didn’t include VAT, P&P etc.
    I wanted the gun back. Desperately. I had a scope with no gun to put it on. I paid up.
    The following Wednesday the gun arrived back.
    With 230bar pressure in the air cylinder. Which I thought a bit iffy for a courier delivery (TNT) Perhaps not.
    I assembled the gun and carefully mounted my new scope.
    On Friday last week, I went to my friend (he with the 40yd indoor range) to set up my scope and rangefind.
    After little more than 130 pellets, and having accomplished the given task to the tune of only 36yds, the gun perpetually buzzed at me and the trigger refused to function. One moment all was well. The next, nothing.
    I remembered that this was exactly what had happened when the gun first packed up. And they said ‘new batteries.’ So I came to the conclusion that having fitted new batteries, (though visually, it looked to me as if only one was new) they had only charged them sufficient to test the functionality of the gun.
    Silly me. The thought that I needed to fully re-charge the new batteries had never crossed my mind.
    So, on Friday evening I put the batteries on charge.
    On Saturday I did some short range checking in the garden, and all appeared well.
    Yesterday evening, Monday, I went to the indoor range to primarily Zero it at 25yds. All good.
    Today, Wednesday – exactly one week after I received the gun back – I went to Sywell outdoor 50/100yd rifle range to once again rangefind, Zero at 30yds, and work out the clicks required on the turret for 8 – 55yds. It has been a beautiful day with little wind. This time I got to 42yds, before the gun incessantly buzzed at me and became inoperable. Again.
    Another whole day wasted. And obviously not a recharge problem. So possibly last Friday wasn’t a recharge problem either.

I estimate, from the remaining contents of the tin of Exacts, that no more that 300 - 350 pellets have gone through the gun since it was returned to me.

I will Email the Service Dept, following a telephone call to Reception first; when the Red Mist has dissipated a little, and I am returned to a sociable level of anger, and I can perceive the world rationally again.

If anyone wants to buy a very good FT fully adjustable walnut stock with hamster for a Mk3 please contact me. If you can’t get hold of me it will be because I’m out looking at a Steyr or a Mk4 EV2. A FT 900 even. A Walther or an Anzutsch.
    Anything. I just want a reliable gun for the Winter League. One that shoots pellets, and knocks targets over, - a la John Costello/Simon Ayres. :rolleyes: :D:D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

You mean, a gun that doesn't run on batteries? ;)

Seriously, I feel your pain.
    I am told that the Pro Target (the predecessor of the EV2) is a very good rifle, every bit as good as the EV2. I had one, and mine was very good (I don't know yet how good the EV2 Mk4 is...). If you shoot righthanded, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one.

3. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Welcome to air gun's

They are all fickle Jack and will test your redmistometer to the limit.
    There are a lot of people that will disagree but batteries and airgun's:rolleyes: asking for trouble.
    Get a pro target,get it serviced by one of the Gods on here and your away.
    You could spend's thousands and they will still mess with your head:eek:o
    First thing though is to give Gaystate a round of :eek:s and tell them how disapointed you are.
    See you at the Euro's shooting them cannon's of your's,at least they are reliable:)
    Simon

4. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    I have been told that Pro Targets are heavy.
    I appreciate that this matter is relative. Heavy in comparison to what ?????? :D
    However... :rolleyes:

Yes. I'll see you at the Euros, Simon. I'm looking forward to it.
    With my Nikons. Which also have batteries. :)

I was planning on going to Castle for the Portcullis Open on Sunday. That's gone out of the window now. :eek:o

5. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

The Pro Target is noticeably lighter than my FrankenRifle.
    The EV2 that I held a couple weeks ago is noticeably lighter than my FrankenRifle. The EV2 weighs 3800 grams or thereabouts. I don't know what a Pro Target weighs.

I like my guns on the heavy side... all that mass is easier to hold still when shooting standing. And no, I am not particularly strong or beefy. I also don't shoot very well standing, so I need all the help I can get ;)

6. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Oh, and the last Daystate FT rifle I liked was the CR-X. Unfortunately, my wife has one. I lust after it almost as much as I lust after her, which is quite a bit. I can't nick it off her though (I shoot cackhanded).

7. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Sorry to hear about that Jack.. on the bright side, once you eventually get Daystate to sort it, it should be ok for another 9 years without a service. ( just don't get it wet :D )

Oh and ahem.... is that an HW77 you have in your signature - plonk your scope on that and you're good to go :)

8. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    And presumably your wife copes quite well with you being cack-handed, does she ?????? :D:D:D

9. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Good to go. Yes. Except .......... for one slight problem.
    My name is not Brian Samson :D:D

10. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

Not sure what this implies... but if it does what I think it does, then the answer would be "she's definitely not complaining" ;)
    Effectively, the only benefit is that I cannot nick her gun. For the rest, there is no difference, because I *shoot* lefthanded, but I am righthanded. I'm just profusely left-eyed.

Ny name isn't Brian Samson either, and even when I could shoot a bit (approximately a decade ago), I wasn't nearly as good as Mr. Samson.
    Yet, the very first FT match that I shot was with a HW97k. I won the spring class.
    Two years later, I drove to Dorsten, Germany, to defend the unbeaten status of the NJR100 there. Only to open my trunk and discover that everything was in there, except for a rifle.
    Someone lent me a HW97k with a decent scope on top. I took it to the zeroing range to see whether it would hit what I aimed at, and it did... and I went to shoot the spring class.
    Which, to my own amazement, I won. :D

Luckily for you and me, there are only very few Brian Samsons. If we manage to avoid them, we stand a fighting chance. ;)

And if we don't, we'll still have a lot of fun, and learn a lot if we get the chance.

Seriously... shoot that HW77. You might find it more fun than you expected!

And (I will keep saying this until someone kills me), if you want to get seriously good at shooting, shoot spring guns on a regular basis. It'll teach you hold consistency and followup like nothing else.

11. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

ever wonder why?

Hi jack sorry to read about youre woes mate

Methinks theres a good reason that only one manufactuer uses electric bits
    I still remember a scientific experiment at Harriers ftc where vast quantities of pond water were poured over a mk3 and an anshutz (and the shooters holding them ) to prove the mk3s waterproofing. Ill let you guess which one stopped firing

You wont go far wrong with a protarget but if weight is an issue one of the steyr things and dont bolt to much crap on it :)

12. mod23

mod23 --Sywell--

Club:
    .... Sywell... Waresley .....
    Pro Target

Hi Jack,
    If you are up at Sywell on Sunday,I will bring the spare Pro-Target up so you can have a try .Let me know as I need to get some more pellets for it.
    Phil

13. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Dave, since the Mk3 has been away "getting repaired" :eek:o :) I've tried 3 Steyrs. And I've loved each one of them. I've no idea which models they are, but ...... :D:D

That sounds like a waste of perfectly good water for the Anshutz :)

14. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    I can bring pellets Phil. No problem. Thanks for the offer. :)

15. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    They

They were using dustbins of water to throw and taking a run up ??? HOLLY:):D

PS and it was really smelly pond water . urghhh:):D

16. dave croucher

dave croucher FT, the sport where simple becomes complicated

pond water

I shouldve mentioned that Holly was the one shooting the anshutz so it wasnt wasted
    There are photos around ,damn funny

17. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    You do realize, Phil, that if I buy a Pro Target you will win no more competitions, don't you ?? :D:D:D
    You may just wish to consider the implications of that for a while. :)

I take it you were either holding the Anshutz or the Mk3 ?? Correct ? :)

18. peterh

peterh Stoopit forriner.

I don't think Holly would want to be found dead with either a Gaystate or an Anshitz. :D

19. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Sorry to hear your tale of woe Jack......that's the reason why i will only ever own a rifle that i can totally work on myself.:eek:

20. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Offer

Jack, my old buddy. I really feel for you mate. I would like to offer you use of my Steyr, its in a Paul Wilson stock ( I also have a Gary Cane 3 piece set for it if you prefer that style) topped with a 40 mag Leupold competition Mildot. It's not too heavy and shoots like a dream, I will even supply the pellets it likes to shoot. I won't be using it this Winter league as I'm using a proper rifle to shoot with. :shot:

If you would like to take up the offer I can bring it to the Euros for you, it's already set up and good to go. Used it at the club on Sunday and shot a 28x30 with it so its capable. Neil.