A shooting passport... would this work in the UK?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by RobF, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Having a natter with Dave after a recent shoot, he mentioned that in the US, shooters have a shooting passport... bear with me.

What this is, is an organisation that collects subscriptions to organisations (and presumably could do clubs) and then forwards those monies on... the idea seems to be that you each have a passport, which is stamped with your affiliations, and thus can be presented when you need to.

The advantages are;

a) one organisation that has a global overview of numbers and who does what, and who also they belong to... as well as being useful to the community, it could prove politically impressive. It also could serve as a very good broad news service covering all shooting

b) one organisation collects monies, thus allowing for savings in that, opening stuff like online payment etc and perhaps opening the chance of bulk purchasing of common needs

c) it does not require the various organisations to join together or form an umbrella... something which often stops organisations making the most out of common needs.

Having mulled it over, I can't think of any negatives... imaging the clout of having all the numbers of the NRA, NRSA, CPSA, BFTA, UKAHFT etc with all the additional rep of those shooting abroad bolted on. I'm sure the costs of collection would be offset by the benefits such as a global insurance scheme, legal advice and a magazine etc

2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Hmmmm interesting concept Rob, let me mull it over.:)

Ryan

3. martin c

martin c New Member

not to sure

dont know how this works in the usa but is your proposal a membership of a 'super' club or some sort of replacement for a fa/sg license ?
    voluntary or involuntary ?

4. RobF

Club:
    nope, not to replace licensing... but more as a revenue and collective structure for shooting organisations, without them getting tangled together themselves. I think it would mandatory for the organisations in the scheme, after all, they would lose the benefit if they still had to cater for their previous method of collecting revenue and supporting their membership with news etc

so you might get a passport insurance scheme, a passport magazine/website, perhaps an advance payment scheme, a collective body with numbers that are a sum of it's parts, and one media voice (assuming the numbers were large enough to support it).

5. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    I'm all for it & the concept is good,insurance backed,data base possibly carrying your relevant governing boby number eg BFTA in my case ,national insurance number for personel identification & picture , rifle serial numbers.Proof that you are serious competitor & shoot safely.
    We have a similar thing in Contracting the National Safety Passport & CSCS ,all logged back to a data base,good idea in principle as long as it doesn't turn into a money making racket as the Safety Passport & CSCS schemes have.

Living the Dream
    Scott,

6. Andy006

Andy006 Member

Sounds good to me. We need an organisation that looks after the airgunner and is not profit orientated or led by the manufacturers.
    I like the idea.:)

7. martin c

martin c New Member

that sounds ok for the reasons that have already been listed my only concern would be data protection especially if rifles were listed as well as ni numbers. imagine what a future law making body could do with that info.:eek:

8. Weevie

Weevie Banned

There's your problem Rob. If the shooting organisations disagree on something how could they have one media voice. :(

Nice idea though. ;)

9. RobF

Club:
    Ah, i don't think there's any need to list kit... and the relevent authorities have what they need under the legislation anyway.

10. RobF

Club:
    True, true. You only have to look at how budget brackets affect target sports depending on what level you shoot at to see conflicts there... i can see your point that it could be a right handful under some subjects.

11. BOMBER

BOMBER Little French Maid

I can't see one voice speaking for all as there are to many differences between the current organizations, and some would not want any coalition of data or speech. As far as paying out more money to set up what sounds like another attempt at uniting all the disciplines I am all for but personally I don't think it would work in this country.

12. Rod

Rod New Member

Maybe these people could take it on, National Association of Target Shooting Sports, oops! don't cater for FT or HFT, even tho' we were asked for our thoughts at the various workshops around the country.

Rod