A rules Q from the BBS

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Official Forum' started by 5teve L, Dec 23, 2012.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    UKAHFT rule.

A question was raised at a recent shoot by members of another club over the positioning of one of the targets as the kill could only be seen from the left hand side of the peg and that this was against ukahft rules.

Having gone through the rules on the ukahft web site I can see nothing regarding such a rule.

It does say that 50% of the kill must be viewable from the peg and the whole kill from 2ft from the peg and that it should be able to be shot by both left and right handed shooters. But nothing about from both sides of the peg.

Can any one clarify this?

2. raygun

raygun Non member

Hi Steve,

The target could not be shot in the same manner by both right and left handed shooters. Coming off the peg for a right hander is opposed to what a left hander would do.
    I would say the target was unfair as it could not be shot in the same manner by both shooters.

Looking at the rules I would say that the handing of the shot ie "has to be able to be shot by both left and right handed shooters" is what you go off.

ATB
    Ray.

3. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    I was just trying to get a definitive answer for the person from the horses mouth so to speak :D as there seems to be some confusion.

I always thought you could obscure half kill from the peg & when off the peg 2 foot a full kill was seen, as long as you made sure it wasn't impossible to shoot & had a similar shot somewhere on the course, I understand this is not the case though as you say Ray.

I am a lefty, with the 2 foot from the peg rule if someone sets a target to be shot off the right & set properly I can manage OK by either putting a knee or something on the peg, or an elbow & shoot from my hand. This needs to be set up correctly though on flat terrain or it doesn't work.. I quite like shots like that, but I suppose if not set correctly it causes problems.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  4. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    If i have read this right its nothing to do with the 50% shot, if that is the case as long as you can see the full kill from one side of the peg that's fine, you don't have to be able to see it from both sides, but where possible when i set a course i try to do it.

Pete

5. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Can I quote you on that Pete ? :D

6. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Pete.

So a full kill from one side of the peg on a target thats basically unobscured from that side(all sizes reducers included?).So you dont need to be able to see it at all from one side technically?

The side you can see it from does it need 10mm of plate all the way around it?

Does this apply to assisted standers and kneelers in regards to say what side of the tree that is the support they can be shot from?

50% shots from the peg have to be visible from both sides of the peg two foot off the peg?

Andy

7. Rift

Rift "Agent"

Club:
    M.A.D
    Surely this means the shot is totally advantaged to a "handed" shooter, be it left or right.
    How then is this fair for both left and right handed shooters on a set course ?
    The rule elsewhere states "When setting out courses you must place targets and pegs to allow for both right handed, left handed and Junior shooters taking part in the event." Is this not a contradiction ?

Alex

8. blackscale

blackscale Member

:rolleyes: You no listen, you sirry irriot :D:D X

9. Sparky

Sparky Ich dien Staff Member

Club:
    Quarry Hunters
    Not sure why all this confusion over something that's always been the case?

Are we on about the 50% shots or standard.

Alex not sure what you mean as with any standard shot you either touch the right side of the peg or the left and as I said above this has always been the case.

Pete

PS all other questions answered in the New Year

10. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

There is no problem with that type of target as far as I can tell from your description & it doesn't really qualify as an obscured shot.

The Obscured target rule doesn't specify a side of the peg on purpose, as long as 50% is visible from 6" up the peg & 100% from 2ft off the peg it can be from the left or right of the peg.

11. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Hi Alex,

I'm not really sure how coming off the left or right of a peg is a disadvantage for a left or right handed shooter, most shooters do have a preferred side, mine is the left side but I wouldn't suggest I was being disadvantaged if I have to come off the right side:confused:

12. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Pete or Pete

I am obviously being thick here.

So both targets only need to be visible from one side of the peg and the 50% only need to be visible from one side two foot from the peg and not both?

Andy

13. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Not having shot proper HFT but surely as long as sufficient amount of the kill is visable from the peg, its up to the shooter to find that position which best allows for the shot to be taken to give best chance of a hit. Whether that's on top, left or right of the peg is irrespective, just IMO and that's my take on HFT anyway.

Personally I much prefer a full kill visable on x40 mag from a sitting position on a nice fluffy bean bag myself :D

14. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    The way i understand it is, from touching the peg itself doesn't matter, as long as the target is visible. Obscured killzones need to be made visible from either side by coming off the peg by 2ft max.

Think thats right

15. simmmo

simmmo New Member

"The Obscured target rule doesn't specify a side of the peg on purpose, as long as 50% is visible from 6" up the peg & 100% from 2ft off the peg it can be from the left or right of the peg."

Above is a quote off Pete D that confuses me as I thought the same as you but this seems to read differently?

Andy

16. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Don't know what all the fuss is about? Just shoot the bloody targets and try enjoy yourself:)
    If you get a zero Like I did today learn from it and don't do it again.

Darren.

17. g.l.w

g.l.w Wonky

Bloody hell Dazzz....A zero ?? you a zero?? well thats put a damper on me xmas celebrations....you were my hero this year !!! LOL take care mate.............:D:D

18. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Got three zeros today Darren so I beat you for a change.

Its no fuss mate its when you check the course think its ok and then people complain just want to know that what I think is right. Personally like one side of the peg and obscureed but rules are rules and its purely clarrification not complaining.

Andy

19. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    No problem mate, I know what you mean you can't please all of the people all of the time.
    Have a good Xmas and happy new year.

20. DarrenQ

DarrenQ New Member

Club:
    MAD
    Thanks for the moral support :) hero to zero is what I excell at.
    Have a good Xmas mate.

Darren.