A resonable FT scope ??

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Lofty, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi All,
    Had a few years off from shooting but now wanting to get back into FT shooting but not at 'full on' competition level (been there done that).

Last scope I had was the Premier Reticle boosted Leupold VX3 EFR 18-40 with custom reticle etc.etc. now if I could get one of those again at a reasonable cost then fine.

If on the other hand I would have to buy from new what would you guys recommend, avoiding the likes of the mega bucks Big Nikko's, March etc.

I'd say the minimum magnification I would go for is 32 ? and looking around all I can see new are .....
    MTC Viper, Hawke Sidewinder with the NEW SR Pro ladder reticle, a 8-32 SWF BSA ; 25mm tube on this one (Uttings website) and some really cheap 'BSA's with 30mm tubes' on fleabay from China, at the price they are, surely they are copies ?

Thanks in advance,
    Lofty

2. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Judging by what you say you are looking about the £300 mark to get back in the game? The MTC and the Hawke are useable instruments but for that money if you dont mind dabbling in the second hand market you will get a lot more for your money in the form of a Mk1 or Mk2 BSA/Big Nikko at about £300 for a good instrument.

3. TJDizzy

TJDizzy TJDizzy

Club:
    WendoverARC
    for £399 you can buy a NEW falcon T50 this is what I use for FT and its very good for range finding and clear it would be best to also buy a john harris side wheel aswell to give abit more distance between your range markings I think these are about £60ish :)

HTH
    TJ

4. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi, Yep suppose £300 is about the mark. Trouble is with the Big Nikko's etc. is not the S/H price but the temptation to start serious competitive shooting again outside of the club. Hence the idea of getting a lower mag. That way I'll still have a chance to range the longer stuff.

If that makes sense.

Is it me or is there a void in the market in between 32 mag and 50 mag apart from dubious scopes on the 'bay'.

Cheers,
    Lofty.

5. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    No, Falcon T35 (fixed 35x,) T40 (zoom) although both only available used to my knowledge
    Weaver T36 (fixed 36x) - great quality scope £250 to £325

I've had all these, still got the weaver.

6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Burris RA ;)

7. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi,
    Thanks for the updates.

Judging by the lack of any positive reports on the MTC,Hawke or the BSA's that these are to be avoided ?, as better scopes available albeit on the second hand market.

Regards,
    Lofty.

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers

9. rich

rich Active Member

Falcon T35. Superb optics for the money. Downside is you only get a plain cross hair ret. I bought mine as a trial, took the big Nikko off and put the T35 on, the Nikko never went back on.

10. Tye

Tye Shabba

Club:
    Moxons ARC, Tamworth SG,Welsh Covert SG, Whittington GC, Greyhound GC
    Save get a Big Nikko!! Also grab one before the price goes up, good reason why it's still one of the top ft scopes used in field target.

11. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    /QUOTE
    Lofty , get on down to Iceni at colchester and have a look around . they being an old club might even have a 18+40 still being used . either way they have a good selection of rifles and scopes to try . i picked up a non EFR 18+40 anodised silver, with sunshade , mounts and 50 foot adapter for £300 . so they are around .??? HOLLY[/QUOTE]

Hi Holly,
    Was down there the other week saying hi to some of the old gang. No scopes for sale there at the moment :( going back again this week if all goes well, see if anyone else has anything. Ron and Anne were away last visit.

Plus you, you old bugger ( I mean that in a good way) you seem to be buying up all the good stuff as soon as it hits the listings. I bet it was you who got that hardly used Anschutz a few months back before me !!.

Hi Tye,
    I know that the big Nikko is the one to have at the moment but as in my original post if I got one then it'll be a safe bet that I'd get drawn back into competitive shooting on the circuit.
    Hence why I'm really limiting myself to a 32 mag as a maximum or possibly another 18-40 EFR Leup ( I really liked that scope) so that I can hold my own at club level.

Cheers,
    Lofty.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  12. nat

nat Member

I don't think you have to worry about holding your own at club level, a 12 mag for you might give the rest of us a chance if you decide to come back ;)

13. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Yeah right Nat. I'm old but not daft. Next you'll want me to go back in time and use a 3-9 and bracket everything !!!

Thanks for thinking that I'd give you a run for your money though :)

Cheers,
    Lofty.

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    shutz ?

Hi Holly,
    Was down there the other week saying hi to some of the old gang. No scopes for sale there at the moment :( going back again this week if all goes well, see if anyone else has anything. Ron and Anne were away last visit.

Plus you, you old bugger ( I mean that in a good way) you seem to be buying up all the good stuff as soon as it hits the listings. I bet it was you who got that hardly used Anschutz a few months back before me !!.

Hi Tye,
    I know that the big Nikko is the one to have at the moment but as in my original post if I got one then it'll be a safe bet that I'd get drawn back into competitive shooting on the circuit.
    Hence why I'm really limiting myself to a 32 mag as a maximum or possibly another 18-40 EFR Leup ( I really liked that scope) so that I can hold my own at club level.

Cheers,
    Lofty.[/QUOTE]

Nah i got a good shutz from our club . i had a really unusual stock that i got on something else , it was just sitting there doing nothing . i bought the club shutz to put in it . just waiting for dave lillywhite to finnish it . will keep an ear to the ground for a 18+40 . but cheap they are not . not heard of one going below £ 300 . see big bazza sunday . he was looking for a good scope for his HW100 ??? HOLLY:)
    PS if they tell you that a shutz has had little shooting ? look at the surface of the breech under the slide . mine is silver where it has had so much shooting . if little shooting it will be pitch black .:eek:

15. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
  16. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Cheers Rob, some good intel there.

Cheers,
    Lofty.

17. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Holly,
    Thought it was you. It was there one minute then gone the next and then you're on here with a new 'Schutz' within a day. Just a coincidence.
    Thanks for keeping an eye out for a Leup, multi line if poss :D ??

Cheers,
    Lofty.

18. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    No lofty .a lad called bernii down the club was seduced by a steyr ( painfull ) and the shutz was just sitting in the cupboard doing nothing . i saw a way of getting the unusual stock out of the cupboard and the rifle shooting . yep mine ( 18+40 ) has the NO5 ret i think it is . multi line with dots . when i speak to bob dickinson ( miserable old northern sod ) who you might remember from the old days ( big lad dark hair with a moustache ) i will ask if he has any in his cupboard ??? HOLLY:):D
    PS i have to say out of the 4 , 18+40s i have had only one was really good ?:eek:

19. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Cheers holly.

Appreciate that.

Lofty.

20. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Will

Will stick an ADD on the BBS to see if anything going over there ??? HOLLY:)