1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about S&B scope

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Pepone, May 10, 2010.

1. Pepone

Pepone WFTF World Champion 2010

Club:
    Villarrubio FT
    I have recently purchased a s&b FT scope, and I have a doubt. I have marked the side wheel , and I was surprised that the marks of the distances does not follow an exponential or regular distribution.
    I have to explain, that i have marked the side wheel from 50 to 7 meters, in the long distances for example i have more than 5 mm distance between 50 and 48 meters, and the same till 40 meters, but between 40 and 28, the marks are closer. Only between 40 and 28 meters, the separations are smaller. From 28 meters to 7 meters, the marks are increasingly separated.
    This is normal?

2. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    I do not own a S&B scope but I have read several reviews that this very normal on these scopes.

I stand to be corrected though............

3. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    Hi my S&B is the same as yours by the sound.

4. CoolId

CoolId New Member

I've looked at the sidewheel markings of a number of FT scopes (Leup, BSA, Nikko, Walther etc) and haven't yet found a single one that follows a simple mathematical relationship. I guess it's similar to camera lenses ...

Regards

Dave

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The march is the opposite as standard... the markings do close up as they go further out, but the gaps seem to slow down they're rate of tightening the further out you go. When I was marking it up, i was quite apprehensive, as the gaps between 8-10 were smaller than my custom shop, yet the rate flattened out, where as the custom shop gets tighter and tighter.

I guess it depends on the mechanisms. On the xray of the custom shop, the parallax seems to work on a worm track that runs around the inside of the scope tube like a spiral. I say appears because i'm just guessing. I think the leups work on a rack/pinion.