A question about pellets

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by FPoole, Dec 5, 2018.

1. FPoole

FPoole Member

I have some Exacts in .177 that seem extra upset when any wind is present. They group pretty well in calm conditions, but they just go all over the place if any wind starts. They're not nearly as good as my last few sleeves and just throw shots at random. For example, the wind is 3-5 mph and the target is 25 mm at 25 m. I take a shot and it's near centered, but the next shot may be 25 to 30 mm to one side or up or down. You know the feeling when you know the hold was fine and steady and the trigger pull was just so. You are totally shocked to see the miss an inch away from where you thought. It's not the gun and it's not me, because I have a few pellets from the last batch and they just don't do this. Is this common for a pellet to be so upset by a slight breeze? I tried them in another gun that's running 25-30 fps faster and they were a bit better. Worst part is, I'm stuck with 2 sleeves.:(

Johnl likes this.
  2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

25mm at 25 yards is a huge movement. I have seen pellets move that far before but only in a howling gale:eek:. I have noticed when batch testing that some DO move more than others in the wind and that's why it's not just the best grouping pellet i use. In the past month i've tested 10 new JSB exact batches, worked out which i thought were the best in my Steyr, mentally numbered the best 4 and then handed them over to a mate to try.....then to another mate...and another. We got the same 4 batches and passed them around for others to try with a total of 8 shooters using different guns but mostly Steyrs. The cool thing was that every shooter came back with the same 1,2,3,4. Luckily the winning batch was the best grouping in the bunch with a nice predictable movement in the wind.

I'm wondering if yours is a barrel cleaning issue or maybe something clipping (if you have a stripper/silencer fitted) occasionally. It is poosible it could be the batch of pellets as i've seen some weird **** happen over the years and the fact it's reduced when you go back to your original batch is the clincher really.

3. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    They are just a bad batch, I’ll bet they have a much poorer BC than your good batch.

I’ll also bet they are dropping more at distance too.

Darron likes this.
  4. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    With that much movement, you must be getting another error in your results. It may be something you've already dismissed so you might need to re-check a few things.

Re-check how well they group in still conditions - maybe also check the groupings at longer range too.
    How sure are you about the windspeed?
    Re-check that you don't have parallax error and/or cant.
    Re-check your zero in still conditions - some batches of pellets shift my zero to the left or right as well as up or down.
    Get someone else to shoot them - no one is perfect and we all have off days.
    When you check in 'still' conditions - is this indoors or are you relying on a windless day? (how do you check that it's windless)

Whenever I've found a result that seems to contradict 200+ years of exterior ballistic theory - it always ends up that I've just made a false assumption or an error in one of my tests.

gdavison likes this.
  5. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    Any chance you have dropped that tin of pellets and there are simply more "damaged" than normal

6. Conor

Club:
    Or inserted back to front

gdavison likes this.
  7. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    You say that but I know of a very well known shooter who tried this in his quest for ultimate accuracy....;)

8. Ratinator

Ratinator 77.74

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    HOLLY

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Who?
    Name rings a bell....:rolleyes:

10. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    WHAT BATCHES WERE THOSE CHRIS:rolleyes:

11. subaru swift

subaru swift Active Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT & Furnace mill.
    Send us some MATE! :D Or text me the batch number etc ;)

12. Darron

Darron Trainee Dwarf Slayer

Club:
    Millride FTC
    25mm shift at 25m? the pellet is either clipping, theirs wind you cant see or most likely parallax error

i also have batches of pellets that shift my zero slightly left or right

13. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

I tried .177 pellets in a .20 gun at the weekend .

easy to load but .................rubbish

14. Bezzer

Bezzer Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    Bit like someone I heard about who bought a Sheridan Blue Streak .20 from a bloke who said it wasn't that accurate. When the buyer got it home he found the tin of pellets in the gunslip pocket were .177:confused:

hmangphilly and subaru swift like this.
  15. terryn

terryn Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    Had this happen to me with every batch of pellets I tried. Cost a fortune to find out I'm C**P.

16. FPoole

FPoole Member

I've got 3 different TX's that are scoped, and I've moved the scopes to other TX's. So far only 2 out of 6 will even give a sort of decent group with the pellets. Normally any of these guns have been able to at least touch another pellet hole, in paper, out at 25 m. Around .5", edge to edge, groups are normal. I don't think I could get these to give a 1" group of 5 at the same range. I had a similar thing years ago, 2009, with a batch, but I had 2 other sleeves of a different batch that were great. These are die #75, if anyone is curious. My only gun that seems to do okay will get a thorough try out, come Saturday. I only shoot outdoors and the wind is always around to varying degrees, but this batch is just a lot worse than I normally see.

17. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    In your first post, you said that they "Grouped pretty well in calm conditions"
    I've never seen Die 75, what's the full number?

If they don't group well and they're terrible in the wind too, do you have any doors that need wedging open?

18. Conor

Club:
    Fishing weights?

19. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Sell them

Buy some others

Or use them indoors

20. FPoole

FPoole Member

7541517 and under that 3 4.52. I think I'll be stuck using them in the one MarkIII that seems to like them a bit. This has happened twice in the last 15 or better years, so I'll try to sell them with a warning. I remember buying my first in 2000 or just after. They were in the gray tins and they were brilliant, as well as cheap at $2.99 a tin. A fellow brought in a whole pallet and they sold well. When they were found to better than the Crosman Premiers in the box, in most guns, the price shot up.