A new case

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Baltipal, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I've just took the plunge & bought a heavy duty storage case with a view to Air Travel with my Pro Target.
    When it arrived, it certainly looked substantial enough but I found that I'd made a potentially expensive mistake while measuring up & she barely fit length ways. My Clubmate, Jonta rode to the rescue however, with a shorter barrel shroud(Cheers mate!);) so a disaster was averted.
    Here are a couple of piccies to illustrate, check out the original shroud in the case for comparison;

Storm

Of course, this mean't a trip over to Far Coley Farm for their regular shoot to do the swap over & check the zero, in this I was helped out by Jonta again!(Double cheers mucker!)
    A really lovely day, we can only hope for weather like this for the Winter Leagues! Here are a couple of piccies for no other reason than it was a great days shooting that left a smile on my face.(Stopping at the Lamb & Flag for an IPA didn't hurt either!

Far Coley

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Looks like a nice day :D

How much was the case? I have a similar case, but i'm concerned about the flex it has in the middle, it doesn't flex a great deal, but i saw a pelicase and that felt stronger...

Of course, the alternative is i just take my scope off... or, shoot with a spare... (the worlds that is)

3. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

The case was about £240 but had 15% off, then of course VAT was slapped on so it worked out to be £235 bar some shrapnel.

4. Jon

Jon Member

I would be more concerned about getting charged excess baggage.

Dont matter what case you have, the airlines personnel will break anything inc Pelicases.
    Take the scope off, rifle in the case, bags of room without the americanised step. Better still leave the RN10 there.

5. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I'd of thought before I talked to some of the SA team in NI, that removing the scope was the way to go but they said no, all of them travel with their combis complete & they DO travel, real globe trotters & only one tale of woe to relate because of it.
    Spain next July will tell which is the best method, If I come back with a mangled Big Nikko & PT it will be a good excuse to buy a Steyr/S&B combi!:D

6. JONTA

JONTA Member

No problems M8.. Looking forward to the weekend:shot:

7. Jon

Jon Member

Greg ole boy when they came over to Weston in Sept 2005 some removed silencers and definately the wheels from their equiavalent Niko/BSA scopes.
    I will point you in a certain direction Sunday, he will tell straight from the horses mouth. Normal and excessive handling most wil bel ok, but when the baggage crew and antis clock it, theres no stopping them, crow bars, fork lifts, etc see loads almost on a weekly basis from around UK.

8. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I'm certain all kinds of things can befall a gun in transit, once it's out of your sight & others less careing get a hold of it but what good is the scope going to be anyway if some neanderthal has jumped up & down on the rifle?
    This is the reason I've got an 'overkill' armoured box that's cost me an arm & a leg to try to limit the potential for this to happen.
    I thought I'd give the foreign scene a go, if it doesn't work out then I'll stay at home in future having learned my lesson, but if it does work out then a whole other avenue of possibilities are open to explore.:)

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I'm in the same dilemma...

Last year GT took his gun to the Scotland Grand Prix, and suffered a bent scope. However there didn't seem to be any damage to the box and it was an odd direction of bend. The thinking was that the box was unlocked and the gun fell out.

My case has a little flex in the sides, but is deep enough to take a knock. I could just put a wooden strut in down the weaker section. It's not so flexy as the normal gun gear boxes, but if i can feel a little flex in the sides.

I'd probably be close to tears if my white scope got broken... the alternative to removing it is not to use that scope, but use a spare...

Like you I'm keen to go a wandering :D

10. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

A couple of FT Journeymen, have gun will travel!

11. Lenny Warren

Lenny Warren Non member

It's funny you mention Pelican, I've been using them for years in my day job as a press photographer. I've travelled all over the world with my camera gear in Peli cases, always been fine. Including my 400mm 2.8 which is more expensive, bulky and more breakable than a rifle and scope combo.

I get a trade discount on pelican cases from the Scottish Press Photographers Association, which i am webmaster of. I managed to get them to extend my discount to AirGunScotland.org and if any of you join up (FREE) you can get our discount, no probs. I got a 1720 recently and it was about £175 incl free courier to my door!

12. Jon

Jon Member

Nothings sacred from the baggage handlers, the only cases i have never seen destroyed are the ones with the air valve in.
    Theres one at work now from a Scottish gun maker, same as yours Rob busted out end.

General concensus has been to remove scope and put in with hand luggage.

13. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

I looked at the 1720 but it didn't look quite big enough, the Storm shaded it from that point of view. I am a member of the Scotish forum but don't post on there, I didn't see where the offer was advertised though.

The bottom line is Jon, if you want to shoot in far away places you really have to fly. If they are busting open guncases for the hell of it & damageing them willy-nilly then having a perfectly working scope in my hand luggage won't be much use to me at the other end.
    I talked about this to the SA mob & they said leave it mounted & get a really good case. I would have liked to get the Russians view on this as they are the other Globetrotters of the FT world but I missed my opportunity at the Euros.
    Interesting to hear about the guy who's scope was damaged going up to Scotland, with the suspicion that it was tipped out of it's case while inspecting. Maybe a couple of retaining brackets pushed into the foam might limit the possibility for this happening?

14. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    I brought a Storm case for the worlds in Ireland as we flew with Flybe, I did alot of research and found the storm to be the best and strongest case for my needs, It fits the EV2 brillianty. I set the rifle in the case with the side wheel facing down as this is the most vunerale to side loads, Like a few I want to broaden my shooting horizons by travelling abroad, SA looks promising in september and I will have no worries about leaving the scope on the gun for this trip.

Some pics of my EV2 in the storm case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris

15. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Cheers Chris, That is just what I need, gives me some ideas on how to stow her now. Wheel down, excellant!
    Can I ask how you cut the foam?
    If you fancy some FT trips, Tesla on here is part of the team organising the Euskadi Open in Northern Spain in July. Shouldn't be too much to fly out & the hospitality looks like being great!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  16. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FTC
    I used a very sharp carving knife, A electric one works very well aswell, Just draw around the outline of the gun and take care when cutting.

Spain, Might be a more affordable option if the worlds prove to far out of reach on expence, I have three tickets to pay for....:eek: