A good end to a crap summer of shooting a Steyr LG110

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Philip Rodgers, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Philip Rodgers

Philip Rodgers New Member

Club:
    Richings Park Airgun Club
    Earlier this year I managed to get my hands on a really nice LG110. It shot like a dream but the mate I bought it from said (Before I bought it) it should have a service.
    I decided to send it to Steyr U.K. for a spruce up. £180.00 later and the gun was back. A new spring (Old one was rusty), an upgraded stabiliser and a few other bit and pieces.
    All was good for a few days but then things started to go wrong. I was getting POI shift up, down, left and right. I contacted Steyr and they sent me an exchange regulator (FOC). That seemed to do the trick and things were back to normal for a few days. Then we had a bloody heat wave like no other for a good while. The gun went wonky again.
    At this point, I contacted hmangphilly. He suggested the reg may be at fault so I was able to meet him and give him my gun. Well, the reg was creeping like a creepy thing and there were a few other issues inside that hadn't been resolved. Within a week the gun was back and Phil was confident things would be better, so confident he said "pay me when you love it again". But things didn't really improve, but the weather was still HOT.
    After trying so many pellets and having my hopes raised so many times the gun was still crap.
    No more heatwave now so the only thing left to change was the barrel. So Phil again came up with the goods and supplied a barrel to test. Still without me paying him a penny I might add. He lent me a Lothar Walther barrel to try and left me with a Leupold scope with a high mag (I do HFT and 10 x mag rules ;)). So at this point I haven't paid him a penny and I have a grand's worth of scope and a brand new barrel.
    Well now things are way better. The gun is back to smacking the crap out of a 15mm spinner at 45 yards and hitting the 3mm spinner most times at the same distance. That's as good as I can shoot.
    No idea what happened to the old barrel but it will go back to Steyr and I will await their advice.
    So to end this rambling post I must say Phil (hmangphilly) you sir, are a gent. This summer was an air gun nightmare but with your help, I am actually looking forward to shooting again.

Thanks Phil :D

gpj, Lavant_Lad, C.Eaton and 12 others like this.
  2. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

+1 on this

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Well done Mr Philly, not so good on Steyr though returned with faults. :rolleyes:

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    The question that leaps to my mind is, if it "shot like a dream" before all that, what happened to it... specifically the barrel, as it seems from what you say to be now under suspicion?

Dennis likes this.
  5. Dennis

Dennis Member

Club:
    Redfearns
    If it shot well when you got it, how does a barrel become faulty so fast?

6. Philip Rodgers

Club:
    I have no idea. It could have been damaged in transit or when being worked on. I spent a whole day shooting it before I bought it and it was great. Then when it came back it was ok. Then a week later the heatwave arrived and it was shocking. It could be the heat was the straw that broke the camel's back. All I do know is it's back to how it was now I have the new barrel.

7. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Mine went a bit like this. So did the 2nd Steyr barrel. The gun was 2nd hand and good to start with, zero complaints... then seemed to need cleaning more and more often. Same with the second one. The best I got was around 70 shots before it went off. I saw another early LG110 do it years ago as well. I swapped to a LW barrel and it went away. I don't shoot the gun now because after a few years I realised the balance was great for sitters and bench but not for standing or kneeling where I then was losing points.

When they're good they're good they're stunning, when they're bad they are also stunningly bad.

LW 605 just seemed to be good all day long.

Philip Rodgers likes this.
  8. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Two things to say on this.

First Phil is THE most No1 bloke ever... he knows why I say this.

Second, and skirting very carefully around libel laws. A friend dug out an original LG100 which he has owned from new, bought back in 2002, it had not really been used since his girlfriend at the time used it to come 2nd in the ladies class at the World FT Championships in 2004 in Germany. It came to me as it did not work.

I stripped it down, unstuck the hammer which had become a bit too cosy with the channel it sits in, ran through a few things cleaning and lubing on the way and got it shooting pellet on pellet on my 30 yard home range, the rifle was passed back to my mate.

For reasons unknown, he then decided it would benefit from a second service with Steyr UK.

A week after its return it was back with me. Accuracy tests ended up with me taking the barrel (barley sugar twist original) off, thoroughly cleaning it and then carefully setting it up so the breach contact was just right and once again full pellet on pellet at 30 yard accuracy was restored. Shortly after that it returned to me, as the little spiral spring that sits under the stabiliser latch was slowly winding itself out. It was removed and replaced the right way up, with the closed end of the spring in contact with the underside of the latch and all was once again well.

Not seen my buddy this season, but at the end of last season the LG100 was shooting as well as it ever had.

9. bootneckbob

bootneckbob Active Member

Club:
    Shebbear
    Neil, could the breech contact make a difference to poi from one shoot to the next?
    I strip my rifle down for cleaning, not after every shoot but certainly after a wet one.
    I saw a huge difference (10 clicks up rather than down) from my rifle the other week when we did the pentathlon event at Shebbear. After the click adjustment the rifle was fine but I did notice and actually mentioned it to lewis and rich that my cocking lever would need adjusting as it was barely holding closed.
    I stripped the rifle down at home and made the adjustment/but the rifle back together again following the Steyr service video precisely and had a positive click with the cocking lever, which now I think about it is quite .....subjective isn't it. I think that it might have been too tight initially and the screws not tight enough which led to it being slack.
    Anyway, I'm just of to Shebbear this morning to see if it's shifted again. If the cocking lever does effect it I should have a different poi again, hopefully the right one!

10. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    The more I think about it it makes perfect sense. Not enough pressure on the transfer port and my shot went low. If memory serves I also tightened up the transfer port as it wasnt tight.
    Well I think that was the first and last time I'm cleaning the rifle in the house!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. bootneckbob

Club:
    Shebbear
    Well after a weekend of shooting it appears to be all on song.

floyd likes this.
  12. Philip Rodgers

Club:
    Yesterday was the first round of the Bicester targets Winter league HFT. Got a new personal best and only 3 behind the winner If I miss now its me not the gun. 20180916_173459-COLLAGE.jpg

RobF and chrisc like this.
  13. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Sorry for the late reply Rob, I was at the BFTA Euros with only an iphone for t'internet contact.

I think you've sorted it.

14. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I think my Steyr broke down in that field at the Euros in Weston yesterday...
    ...no scrap that, it didn’t...
    ...it was my poor judgement in that painfully wicked wind!

johnnyboy and Philip Rodgers like this.
  15. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I must be pretty lucky as all of the three Steyrs I have owned have never once "gone off." I did however have a lot of trouble with a brand new one that was replaced about seven years ago as it wouldn't group with anything.
    Number four Steyr, an HFT 2014 bought little used earlier this year is probably the best one I have owned to date and is certainly more capable than my 9015. Unlike the barrels in my previous three 110's, this one does not need the weekly cleaning regime to keep it on song. The only thing I have done is to clean the hammer assembly when first purchased and thats been it. Delighted with it.

Philip Rodgers likes this.
  16. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Floppy Quick Phil

keep it clean and dry