A Few Air Arms Regs

Discussion in 'Air Arms' started by banditrob12, Dec 7, 2015.

1. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

I thought I would post a few photos of Air Arms regs from early RN10 through to FTP900. Just to show the differences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    so thats what they look like

Cheers Rob , two years of listening to all sorts about the famed regs and thats the first time ive seen one

3. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Very interesting - thanks for sharing :)

So going on the first image, the silver units at the back / RHS are CA100 / Pro-Target items and the other silver one in the middle is an EV2 reg.. what are the black ones?

I'm assuming the two at the back are aftermarket EV2 and the one at the front is an aftermarket Pro-Target reg..?

Just out of interest, are these units interchangeable (cylinder mount notwithstanding)?

4. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Double post.

5. kong

kong Member

Club:
    FURNACE MILL HFT AND NOMADS
    black ones looks like ftp 900 to me

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  6. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Thanks - evidently I missed that bit of the title :eek:

Assuming the black one at the front is still an aftermarket PT item though..?

7. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Front one is from an early RN10 (very early ones were all brass)

Middle one is EV2 Mk IV

Back Right is Pro Target Mk III

Back Left are FTP900s

All are interchangeable with a few machining mods obviously if you are fitting an FTP to an EV2 for example you couldn't use the pressure gauge. If you look on my other threads there is a few pics of my Pro Target with FTP reg fitted, this has got a modified firing valve and firing valve spring seat. This gun shoots really nice with this set up. I am just fitting an EV2 reg to one of my other Pro Targets just waiting for new seals, I will post some pics once its finished.

8. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

All good information as I'd very much like to acquire another pro-target and it's useful to know what my potential options are regarding reg upgrades.

Your rifle certainly looks very nice - it's refreshing to see one that hasn't had a hatchet job on the cosmetic side of things!

Just out of interest what sort of reg pressure are you running? I'd guess not a lot less than 100bar, given the PT's fairly restrictive port sizing..

Will look forward to more updates!

9. Alcanara

Alcanara Member

Harrogate (HG2 7SR) & Murcia, Spain. (30840)
    Hi, Is this a straight swap.... FTP to Ev2 mkiv??

Thanks for your help

Stuart

10. Alcanara

Alcanara Member

No response????

11. Alcanara

Alcanara Member

Ok... I give up. :)

Stuart

12. Dale

Dale Active Member

I would personally say in respect of the Pro-Target if it is fitted with the Mk3 pattern regulator then no upgrade is required, just make sure it is serviced.

My own experience suggests that the MK3 design is efficient and reliable and because of the design of the Pro-Target is easy to service when required.

I know the EV2 used the same basic innards as the Pro-Target Mk3 pattern regulator so I am a at a loss to know why it seemed to have so many problems. Servicing the EV2 regulator wasn't helped by the decsion to add a barrel clamp to the cylinder that then needed everything to be screwed down stupid tight to try and stop POI shift.

Given the general move to a floating barrel on many FT guns, what were AA thinking with the EV2 - talk about taking a step backwards!

As to reg pressure, my Pro-Target is set for 100 Bar and seems to work really nicely.

13. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Nope - the FTP reg has no provision for a gauge so you'll be left with a gaping hole in your stock and no means of observing cylinder pressure unless you fit an FTP-type setup at the front of the cylinder.

Thanks for your input - I agree entirely!

I agree that the guts of both regs look the same and like to keep things original.. however the potential to swap regs has become more pertinent since I've recently acquired a somewhat got-at Mk3 Pro-Target, one of it's afflictions being a pished, off-centre hole in the underside of the fore-end where some idiot has previously lashed a palm rest onto it :)oo).

By startling coincidence this hole would be swallowed completely were I to (properly) drill a larger hole to accommodate a gauge and associated EV2 reg setup. While I strive for originality a gauge would be useful and a convenient way of tidying the stock butchery - not sure I can stomach the cost of all the bits, though..

I also totally agree about the floating barrel - IIRC AA have made around 13 dedicated FT(ish) guns, with only two having floating barrels (PT Mk3 and HFT500). As much as I like AA products and respect them as a company, this blinkered adherence to fixed barrels and all the shortcomings that arise from their misguided efforts to work around zero shift betrays a total lack of fundamental understanding IMO.

I absolutely despise this ridiculous habit of massively over-tightening cylinders (they only need to be hand-tight, which makes things so much easier when they need to come apart), and besides, do they not understand that the zero shift itself most likely comes from the cylinder warping as pressure changes, rather than movement between the cylinder/reg/block assy..?

Anyway.. rant over :p

14. Dale

Dale Active Member

Understood, regarding your stock issue.

Personally I think the way the gauge was fitted to the EV2 was a total lash up. Unlike yourself I don't consider a gauge to be essential, I rather used to fill the rifle before starting a course of fire.

Have you considered carefully tidying the hole up and then seeing if it is possible to turn a dowel of laminate of the same colour etc to fit the hole and orient the laminations the same?

On question on the FTP reg as I haven't seen one in the flesh so as to speak, do they still have a bleed hole to vent the chamber housing the belville washers?

15. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Thanks - tbh I don't have a huge problem with the gauge set up on the EV2...

I used to think similar to yourself regarding gauges, however now since most of my PCPs have them (I think the only two that don't are my NJR and Excalibre) I've got used to them. Granted they're not usually very accurate, but they give a good indication of whether the rifle has any air in at all and roughly whether it's in a usable state!

I did consider getting a plug made - however it would never be a perfect match and the current hole is off-centre, so it would have to be drilled larger (offset) in any case to put the repair on the centreline of the gun. Also, getting the plug correctly cut and oriented would most likely be a pain.

I have to get the transfer port adjuster screw hole helicoiled first and foremost though - if this goes wrong then the whole gun will probably suddenly only be useful for spares anyway, so the stock will be academic.

I've not seen an FTP reg close up but I presume it's vented - would be a big step backward if it wasn't. That said AA did choose to nail the barrel down on the EV2 after apparently learning their lesson with the floated effort on the PT Mk3 - so anything's possible I suppose :p

16. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

Dale, the FTP reg does have a vent hole, see attached photo.

[​IMG]

I have also put a picture on of an EV2 stock that has been repaired, this had several holes drilled in it also off centre. A guy at my shooting club repaired it, he put a strip of laminate in, refinished it. You have to look really hard to see the repair.

[​IMG]

17. Dale

Dale Active Member

Thanks for the info regarding vent hole.

18. cloverleaf

cloverleaf Active Member

Crikey - that is a good repair. Perhaps there's hope yet!

That said I priced up the cost of all the EV2 bits to convert to a gauge and it's not too bad (although apparently no LH spirit level holders left :(), and to throw another spanner in the works it appears that AA might still have a stash of LH EV2 stocks left - although they're not cheap.

19. fordy

fordy New Member

Club:
    Mile Oak Shooting Club
    FTP900 reg pressure

Hi
    Does anyone know the setting pressure of the FTP900 reg as I want to service mine.
    Thanks

20. banditrob12

banditrob12 Member

ive had three std regs on my tester all set at 108 bar I set mine at 90 bar