A challenge for shooting the breeze

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Kingplinker, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Hi all

As you may have read I am having trouble finding time etc to get out and shoot , let alone zero my gun ! :eek:

Anyway I have a challenge for you chairgun gurus ( actually this is a cry for help to get that clever Brian bloke to help me ) to see how best to set up my gun .

It's apparent that the MPR needs cleaning ( not polishing ) as my s400 is more consistent but that can wait for another day . :D:D:D

Details below are with unweighed pellets , rifle was filled to 190 BAR and I blanked 5 or so shots off .

JSB 452 unweighed pellets : Chrono results

Centre of barrel - centre of scope = 41 mm

I usually zero at 25 yards

IF ANYONE COMES UP WITH THE CG RESULTS I WILL USE THEM ON SUNDAY coz lets face it I am doomed anyway . lol

many thanks

Dave

2. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    OK Dave I've done this for you as a CSV download from the Chairgun ballistic table (attachment). Lots of columns but you're probably only interested in Range, POI and/or Mildots.

Disclaimer: I've assumed true mildots so if your scope is not true mildot, or is second FP and you use a different mag, these will be out. Clicks assumes 1/8 MOA. I've also never used CG for mildots so YMMV :eek:

Quick summary:

yds mildots
    8 = 2.24
    10 = 1.4
    15 = 0.25
    20 = 0.03 - aka "bang on" :)
    25 = 0
    30 = 0.04
    35 = 0.51
    40 = 0.89
    45 = 1.32

Hope it helps, but don't blame me if it doesn't ;)

Adam

Attached Files:

3. Kingplinker

Hi Adam

I will have a good read of that later - in the mean time the scope is a fixed bushnell 10x40 with medium mounts . Many thanks for taking the time to do this !

It would be good to see chairgun versus range card versus shooting knowledge to see how far others believe it is out ;) lol

atvb

Dave

4. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Just a guess dave but if you're taking the same scope and mounts off your 400 and putting it on your MPR set the MV the same and the aim points will be the same.;)

Why not try a different zero if you're going into the unknown anyway.

Ryan

5. Kingplinker

Hi Ryan

Funny you say that as I am sure the aim points all changed when switching between the two guns - a club member said exactly the same which is strange as the MPR is pretty much a s400 with a bigger barrel ???

I was going to try a 35 yard zero but think I should perhaps stick to what I know .

cheers

Dave

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

They're pretty much the same gun mate, go for small increments - Try 30!:p;)

Ryan

7. Ratgunner

Ratgunner New Member

I realise that I am fairly new to this Sport and a bit of a 25 watt bulb in the maths dept (No ageist comments Ryan) but all this Math baffles me??

All with Mildot Scopes I set my PCP's to 35yds and check where they fall at 10 yds to rule out crossover, this leaves me with my FX Typhoon/BSA Ultra/Brocock Contour all in .177in with close to the same aiming point from 10 to 35 yds

40/45yds half mildot elevation
    50yds 1 mildot elevation + windage corrections according to conditions, I usually shoot standing as it would take a wrecking crew to raise me from horizontal to vertical,

But given something to steady me down goes the tin chicken,

Is my system too simplistic?? and would I benefit from learning all the Math??

All replies sarcastic or informative are welcome.

8. D Martin

D Martin Non member

My Daystate runs at 775 fps now with an EB sniper but before that with a Bushnell 3200 10x40 on medium mounts.
    On a 30 yrd zero aim points are:

8yrds= 2 dots high
    10yrds=1 dot high
    15 yrds= about a pellet width high of centre of kill
    20 yrds= a pellet width low of centre
    25yrds= same
    30yrds= crosshairs
    35 yrds= 1/3 dot high
    40yrds=1/2 dot high
    45 yrds= 1 dot high
    50yrds= 1 1/2 dots high
    55yrds=2dots high

As you can see from 15-30 yards you can aim straight at it and still get a 15mm kill.

I've got quite a few onto this at our club and anyone using medium mounts with a true milldot scope is getting very similar results so this should help you mate;)

Dave

9. Kingplinker

If you are shooting well I would carry on doing what you are doing . :) If however you are not , it's surely worth trying a new system as you may squeeze a couple of extra points out on a comp ?

atvb

Dave

10. Kingplinker

Now heres a funny thing :confused:

I used the exact same set up with both my s400 and my MPR , same power , pellets etc but one of my stocks has my favoured raised / adjustable cheek piece . I zero'd both at 25 yards but the aim points were very different , I put this down to my poor shouldering - eye relief ???

I am easily confused though . lol

atvb

Dave

11. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Ratgunner,
    if it works for you then go for it. I don't use ballistics programs either. I prefer to shoot my rifles at all the required ranges from 8-55yards for FT and 8-45 for HFT. I tend to go for yard increments where it's really critical. Two yards where it's not so critical and five for the rest. Your way would be too simplistic for my liking particularly when I may encounter really small reducers when really accurate aim points are necessary.

12. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Dave, the breech on the MPR & the S400 are different mate, the MPR barrel is thicker & therefor the breech is machined slightly different ot allow this. (thats my theory) Because as you say the aim points are indeed different, I think with my old mounts the scope to barrel on the MPR was 2" & on my old 400 was 1.75"

13. Kingplinker

A ha , I thought the breech was the same size but have never really checked tbh ? The only difference I was aware of was the thicker barrel which although thicker will be obviously central to the breech , if not I have a duff gun . lol

atvb

Dave

14. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

There are two different breech blocks on use on the S400's they changed to a 2mm higher version nearly two years ago, I'm not sure this will make a lot of difference.

Don't forget the relative angle on the barrel & scope as well

15. Kingplinker

Steve and I both found a big difference with the MPR set up although I don't know which type / sized breech mine has , I may have to have a looky :D:D:D:D

atvb

Dave

16. Ratgunner

Ratgunner New Member

Ratgunner

Thanks For That Kingplinker,

A few more points would sit well with me Mate, I shall study a bit more and can maybe combine both systems, we shall see,

ATVB, Bernard.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009